I Release You Tonight

One

Claude’s arm was around my neck as Danny held my hand in his. “Don’t make me walk out of here alone…”

“We won’t sweetheart, I promise.” Danny’s voice was comforting.

“I won’t let them get anywhere near you,” Zac’s voice was loud from the other side of the locker room but very comforting. My break up with the cross state’s rivals growing fan favorite was brutal and the reporters were eating it up in the playoffs. The consequences of dating my brother's rival was James Neal and I were dating during the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs, and we broke up a few days before this year’s playoffs began. Of course, the first round was the Penguins versus the Flyers… once again.

“Thank you guys,” I spoke softly. To be honest, I don’t know how we started dating.

“Don’t say thank you,” Claude shot out, “we’re doing everything we can to help you because we love you.” I blushed at the captain’s words.

“Some more than others,” The team looked at the young player who was only in his sophomore year of the league. Sean. The blush on my cheeks darkened. Everyone knew there was sexual tension between Sean and I, but neither of us acted on it.

***

"Your car is at Danny's house, right?" I nodded as Claude asked me the same question that Zac asked me ten minutes ago. We walked out of the locker room to where Claude's car was. We walked in a comfortable silence.

"Hopefully I don't scare away any potential girls," I laughed as Claude checked out a few girls in Flyers jerseys as we got outside. Claude chuckled as a girl stared at me accusingly.

"THAT'S THE GIRL THAT DATED NEAL!" Her voice was so loud that everyone looked at me walking with Claude.

"THAT SLUT!"

"I told you, she was too pretty for him!"

"You know, he sent pictures of his dick to my best friend while they were dating." I felt all the stares as the slue of fans that knew about us watched me walk to the car. The words made me want to run to wherever Sean was but I walked taller knowing they were watching.

"You okay?" Claude whispered softly to me. I nodded. Don't let them see you break, Juliette, don't.

"Just get me to the car soon," I murmured so only he would hear. I watched Claude take out his phone and "answer" his phone.

"What? We'll be right over!" Claude exclaimed before putting his phone back in his pocket, grabbing my hand and pulling me to the direction of his car while running. I ran to keep up with his pace as the crowd of people stared at us. Once we were in the safety of his car, we began laughing. Not a fake laugh, or a little chuckle but a tear-causing-gut-hurting laugh.

"Thanks G," I kissed his cheek softly before he put the car into drive.

"Not a problem for my sweet little Juliette," he winked at me.

***

I walked out of the Briere residence towards my car in their driveway with Sean next to me holding my hand softly.

"Do you want me to drive home with you?" he asked me softly.

"I'd like that," I smiled. It didn't matter to me that we'd have to have someone pick him up or that I'd have to drive him home. He'd be with me and I would be with someone who made me feel safe in this chaotic mess... and that's all that mattered to me.