An Unexpected Twist

Month 1 (Mathieu)

“Happy one month anniversary.” I said to Tarin as I handed her a book with a bow stuck to it. She took off the bow and started laughing. It was a book called "What to Expect When You’re Expecting". We’d had a running joke about the book, seeing as though our one month anniversary was also marking Tarin’s first month pregnant. “I thought this would come in handy.”

“Good.” She said. “Put it with the book Amy brought me this morning.” She pointed to a book in the kitchen counter. "Porn for New Moms" was the title of the book. I flipped through it.

“These are just guys holding baby with captions like ‘Honey, I’ll watch the baby while you do fun stuff’”. I said.

“You’re right.” She said. “Maybe its for you. Shows your future in eight months.” I rolled my eyes while I walked over to sit next her, put my arm around her and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“We’ll switch off.” I said. She sighed. Something was bothering her.

“Except for when you have practices, and games, and when you’re away for days.” I said. “What about when you’re gone and I’m all by myself?” It was true. I didn’t have an answer. “What about when the season ends?” I knew that it wasn’t a big secret that I did spend a lot of my off season in Canada.

“You know I promised to stay with you no matter what.” I said, “But you also have to trust that I am going to be here.” She looked up at me.

“I know.” She said. “I trust you. I’m just so scared though. My life will never be same.” I looked her right in the eyes,

“Our lives will never be the same.”