An Unexpected Twist

Month 2 (Mathieu)

Month 2

Mathieu

I jumped into my car and put my keys into the ignition. We won our game last night which was great, but even better, I hadn’t been playing too much during the games lately, but last night I played better hockey that I had all season, and I played in more of the game than in any other games this season. I was especially happy about that because Tarin was there to see me play, and she actually got to see me play.

I drove on what was becoming a very familiar route to Tarin’s apartment. Since I had the day off today, she texted me last night and asked if I would come over in the morning. I wanted to be around for her as much as possible, I mean, she was the one with a human being growing inside of her.

I turned off my car, went upstairs, and knocked on the door. Amy answered for me. She looked at me, sighed and looked over at the couch. Tarin was curled up with her eyes closed tightly. She opened one eye and looked at me.

“Morning sickness is a bitch.” She said. I smiled and walked to the couch. I sat down on the couch beside her and rubbed her shoulder. She rolled over and I leaned back so she could rest her head on my chest.

“How bad do you feel?” I asked.

“Better than I look.” She said. “And better than last month.” Jeez what had she been going through every day?

After awhile she started feeling better, and sat up. I readjusted my arm around her and looked down at her.

“Did you know our baby is starting to develop bones?” She said. I laughed.

“No. I didn’t.” I said “That is good to know, I guess.” She put her head on my shoulder.

“How was your game last night?” She said. I laughed

“You were there.” I said.

“I know that.” She said. “But how did you do? Do you think you played well? I thought you did, but then again I’m not in your head.”

“Oh.” I said. “Yeah. Well I think I played well. I liked having you there.” I said. She smiled and looked up at me.

“I love you.” She said. “I know that I was on your case earlier for not being around but you can’t help that, and you’ve been here, and I love you.”

“I love you too.” I said, “And I’m trying as hard as I possibly can to be with you, whenever I can.” She leaned in and kissed me. I think we were going to pull this whole suddenly becoming parents thing off.