An Unexpected Twist

Mathieu

Mathieu

I helped Tarin walk to the NICU. She was clutching two silk flowers. One pink, and the other yellow. When we got to the NICU there was a seat for Tarin so she could sit while she nursed the twins. I had to stand, but this time I would be allowed to hold the girls. I hadn’t before because they were taken away so quickly.

Tarin sat down and handed me the flowers. I walked over to the incubators and attached the pink flower to the name card that said “Hayden Darcelle Perreault”. It was so funny to think that I was now the father of the two most beautiful babies I had ever seen in my life. I looked into the clear plastic box and saw her sleeping. My little girl was so tiny. I saw a nurse take the tiny bundle from the incubator right next to me. I walked over and attached the yellow flower to the card that said “Leith Elaine Perreault”, and went to sit down with Tarin. She had already started feeding Darce.

We decided since the girls had such long names we were going to shorten their French names, and call them Lane and Darce. When Darce was done feeding, I held her while Tarin fed Lane. It felt weird in a good way to be holding a baby that was mine. When Lane was done feeding, both girls had to go back in the incubators.

I walked Tarin back to her room. She had to stay here as long as the girls did, because she had to feed them. I sat next to her. She looked up at me. “Go home.” She said. “You need to rest up so you can play tomorrow.” I can’t believe she even remembered the game. I laughed.

“I’m fine. I want to stay here.” I answered.

“Fine, but you’re going to practice tomorrow morning and you’re going to play in that game and win it.”

“Alright alright.” I laughed.

A few seconds later there was a knock on the door. Dr. Parente came in. “I have some good news.” She said. “Your girls temperatures and heart rates were stable all day, even when out of the incubators. We don’t think that it is necessary to keep them here any more.” I saw Tarin smile.

“So they can leave tonight?” She asked.

“Yes.” Said Dr. Parente.