Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Bonding

As planned Mia found herself at the door of Salvatore mansion. Standing there, she rehearsed her speech again. Something she’s been practicing since last night due to lack of sleep. She was going to make sure that he hears her properly.

It was mostly him who opened the door, which was why she felt queasy and nervous, her hands and feet were getting cold despite the warm weather. She’ll just say the words before he shut the door at her face, not knowing if he would do that but after previous night’s stunt, she was ready for more action and venom dripping words.

She rang the bell, adrenaline pumping through her veins tensing her body, her breathing became difficult like she was choking. She exhaled a sigh of relief when she saw Elena at the door, suddenly realizing that despite her convincing she was not ready to face him just yet.

“Mia. Hey,” Elena greeted with a smile but her eyes held a little tightness, an unease. Her body was tensed and she was gripping the door frame a little to tighter than necessary. Mia was confused by her body language but she shrugged it off.

“Hey,” she replied. Great, her voice was shaky. “Are you ok?” Elena asked, concern evident on her face. “Yes,” Mia replied rather suddenly and Elena tilted her head to the side, her eyes narrowing at her.

Mia gave her a small smile, “Ummm…Damon.” She explained with a lift of her shoulder. “Oh!” and the tenseness in Elena returned, “He’s…uh, he’s not here, Mia. He didn’t…uh, came home last night,” Elena said apologetically.

Mia inhaled deeply, cursing herself for coming to his doorstep to clear things out and he…her thoughts were cut off by Elena, “Mia. I am sorry,” she said sincerely. Mia shook her head, “No. No, it’s ok. I guess I just…uh, I just needed…uh, some,” Mia tried to form a sane sentence by taking a pause while Elena looked at her knowingly.

“I think I need a girl’s day out,” Mia managed finally, exhaling her long held breath. Elena agreed with continuous nodding. “That’s great. I’ll give Bonnie and Care a call. Why don’t you come in for a while?” Mia nodded, her thoughts stuck at one place. He had left…that coward. She mentally sighed, but for how long?

“I’ll take a soda. Thanks, Matt,” Mia said with a smile and folded her arms on the table, slightly leaning forward. “I didn't think he wouldn't return,” Caroline remarked in disbelief and eyed Mia. Elena gave her a glare. “What?” Caroline mouthed to Elena who just shook her head.
“Can we please, not talk about it?” Bonnie said in annoyance, “We all knew he was angry over something before he came in and our talk made it worse,” she exhaled and took a sip of her drink.

Mia tried to look indifferent while asking, “Talk about what?” Elena shared a quick look with both Caroline and Bonnie before resting her eyes on Mia. “We found out you were an angel,” Elena said, “but he knew that already,” she shrugged.

“Hmm, what’s in it to be mad about?” Mia asked mostly to herself, her eye brows knitted together. What was wrong with him, anyway? “Well, we so beautifully dropped the bomb about you dying after finishing the assigned job,” Bonnie blabbered and rolled her eyes but saw both Elena and Caroline glaring at her and realized her slip-up.

Mia eyed each of the girl and then stared at Bonnie, she couldn’t pry her eyes off her, “What?” she asked, not having a clue about what was going on. Who was dying and why?

“Matt! This sucks,” Caroline complained trying for diversion. “Yeah, you complain a lot, Care. The only wonderful customer here is Pierce,” he winked at Mia who raised her head to look at him and gave him a smile, “she pays good,” he said and turned to Caroline, “and doesn't whine,” he pouted.

Caroline smacked his arm playfully, “And she doesn't come here a lot,” she challenged with her eye brows raised. “I’ll bring you another one,” he grinned. Caroline nodded, a smile still plastered on her face and turned to Mia. “So, how’s your wardrobe? Need to go shopping?” she asked excitedly, in a hopeful tone.

“No Care, I’m perfect. Thanks,” Mia shook her head and turned to Elena with a serious expression. “Do you anything about…uh, Katherine Pierce? You know stuff like who was she and all?” Mia asked.

The question she asked bugged her a lot but she was reminded of it when Matt referred to her as Pierce, effectively reminding her of every time people asked about her relation to the woman in question.

“Are you sure you wanna talk about this?” Bonnie asked. “Hmm…” Mia replied. Elena took a deep breath, “Katherine Pierce is well, a doppelgänger…that is,” Elena emphasized as Mia raised her eye brows in confusion, waiting for her to finish it. “She is from Petrova bloodline whose blood is like…important in all this freaking supernatural world and it makes your life pathetic,” she finished with disgust lacing her tone, leaving Mia in more confusion than ever.

Bonnie and Caroline, however, laughed, “Personal, huh?” Caroline said in between her laugh. “Apparently, I’m missing a joke,” Mia chuckled. “No, you’re missing the truth,” Bonnie said. “Ok guys,” Mia straightened up in her chair, “You need to stop doing that and tell me,” she scolded and pointed her finger, making a triangle of them in air.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that…Elena is a doppelgänger,” Caroline said amused. “Elena’s a what?” Mia’s eyes were wide and she pounded her fist on the table. “A doppelgänger like Katherine aka Katerina Petrova. They come in like every 500 years or so,” Bonnie explained, “Also, the thing you might wanna know is that they all look alike.”

“Look alike? Like everything same?” Mia’s brows were knitted together in concentration, trying to take it all in. “We both look exactly alike,” Elena started. “But she has a better fashion sense,” Caroline interjected and earned a glare from Elena. “Good that our personalities weren’t alike,” Elena said, rolling her eyes. “Yeah, thank heavens for that,” Caroline said with an over dramatic flair of her hand.

Mia thought about Maya; her look alike, conflicted on whether she was a part of the freaking supernatural world too. Though she knew she was a part of it. She was an angel, but now this doppelgänger story. She was shaken off her thoughts when she heard Caroline saying how all the Petrova doppelgängers had an ability to lure in men, even hardheaded like Damon.

“Wait. You mean Damon and Stefan?” Mia asked. They all nodded slowly in unison. Elena kept her eyes on the table though, clearly embarrassed. “Tell me,” Mia prompted.

Elena started the main story of Katherine and the Salvatore brothers, how they became what they were while Caroline and Bonnie both added to it, going all the way to Elena, how she found out and reacted to it and how she chose Stefan leaving Damon heartbroken which Caroline clearly enjoyed.

“Why do you hate him so much?” Mia’s unexpected question silenced all of them as they stared back at her. “Why do I hate…why do I hate him?” Caroline asked incredulously, “Because he’s a jerk, Mia.”

“Well, he deserved whatever happened to him,” Bonnie said in a hostile tone, remembering the times he had hurt her and his friends…her mother, how he killed her, made her into a vampire.

“Well, he has trust issues,” Elena added in, understanding the way Mia felt. “Trust issues!” Caroline mocked. “Trust breeds trust, right?” Bonnie asked Elena, flashing her single eye brow. Elena took a deep breath. “Well I gotta go. Are you guys gonna be ok?” Caroline asked. “Yep,” Mia and Elena both replied in unison and smiled at each other.

“Good. Because Bonnie’s coming with me,” she looked at Bonnie expectantly. “I am?” Bonnie asked surprised. “Yes,” she rolled her eyes, “I don’t have my car. So, you’re driving me home.” “Ok. Ok, I’ll see you guys later, right?” she asked looking at Mia, “If you need a girl’s night in too?” “Nah. I’m fine. Thank you,” she said, “for this and all Mystic Falls tales.” “Sure, no problem,” Bonnie smiled.

Elena looked at Mia with concern in her eyes. “I know how you feel,” she said. Mia looked down to her fidgeting hands and a small smile turned up the corner of her lips. “You know, a good friend once told me, ‘If it’s real, you can’t walk away.’ I learnt that she was right. I just couldn’t walk away from Stefan,” she shrugged as she whispered the last sentence.

Mia raised her head to look at Elena, trying to figure her out, her brown curious eyes, searching. “I don’t know…” she started but Elena cut her off by holding up a finger. “Don’t say you have no idea what I’m talking about. It’s like the whole town knows, except you…both,”
Mia shook her head, “No, Elena…” “Don’t ‘No, Elena’ me, Mia. Not with this. Why are you ignoring what you feel?” she asked exasperated, sick of their act.

“You think I’m ignoring? I don’t even know what I feel, Elena. Plus, you don’t know. He doesn’t even want it. Like just moments ago, you were telling me how he was in love with you. It’s not me, it’s him,” she almost screamed the words at her.

Mia paused and took a deep breath. She rolled her eyes when she calmed down a little. “I can’t believe I’m having this talk with you,” she scoffed. “No, it’s ok,” she leaned forward towards Mia, “Mia. With Damon you would have to be patient. He had a rough past and all but you have to understand him. So, don’t listen to what he says but to what he does when he’s with you,” she finished with a sigh.

Mia understood that. She already knew that but she figured that she had to listen to it from somebody to fully realize it. She thought about how he was always there for her, to catch her whenever she fell, making her feel better after her every crying session, how safe she felt with him, how much she relied on him.

She simply thought back to their every moment together and the fact that the devil who took blood from her the night they met wasn’t just some devil. It was her devil, her savior, her comforter, her friend.

“I miss him,” she whispered before she could stop herself and immediately felt embarrassed at her admission. Elena smiled at her, knowingly, “I know. I miss him too,” Elena sighed and stood up, giving Mia a genuine and sincere smile. “Let’s just pay up for the drinks,” she said. Mia nodded absently, her mind wandering somewhere else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Never Say Never- The Fray
Subscribe/Comment/Recommend.
You guys rock.