Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Honest One

“Claire,” Mia started in apologetic tone. “What are you doing, Mia?” she asked in a serious tone, a hint of disappointment lacing her voice which gnawed at Mia’s heart.

She never wanted to hear such tone with Claire, especially not when it was directed at her. “I know. I’m sorry but…nothing happened,” she tried to assure her.

“Right, nothing,” Claire sighed. “Look, Mia. I’m worried about you. I don’t want you to be reckless. A mistake can ruin everything, you know,” she said softly.

Mia nodded, her eyes lowering themselves, gazing at the floor. She was ashamed, yes but she couldn’t stop the blush at thinking about what was to happen. It gave her jitters, to recall his voice, his eyes, his scent…

“You need to figure it out,” Claire said with finality in her voice and Mia’s head snapped up. “What?” she asked confused, flexing her hands to get over the tingling feeling.

“What you want? Who makes you feel better…happy,” Claire stated. “I don’t…” Mia started but Claire cut her off with a flick of her hand. “I’m talking about Enrique and Damon,” she said, “You share a bond with them, both of them,” she took a step forward, “It’s obvious, Mia but you can’t string them along. Don’t do anything until you figure out your feelings for them.”

Claire’s answer had Mia reeling. Is that what she was doing? She was friends with both of them but that was it but then she thought about what happened with both Enrique and Damon. The way they made her react, how hearing their name made her heart warm. How she loved their company and wanted to be with them.

Claire was right, she was leading them both on. She was being selfish, “I’ll try to do better, Claire. I promise.” Claire nodded and turned towards the door, “Ok, good. I just want you to be happy,” she said as she turned the knob on the door.

“Can I ask you something?” Mia’s voice stopped her as she turned to face her. “Yes,” she looked at her skeptically. “Why do you care?” she asked and Claire raised her eye brows, a flash of hurt passing through her eyes. “No, I didn’t mean it like that. It’s just that you don’t even know me and you have Jake. So, why?" She clarified, trying to remove the misunderstanding.

Claire tilted her head to a side as she contemplated her question, “The honest one?” she asked. “Yes,” Mia replied. “Honest is long,” Claire sighed and Mia chuckled, “Well, we have nothing but time,” she smiled encouragingly at her.

Claire walked towards the bed and sat the farthest corner, patting the place beside her for Mia to sit down to which she obliged.
“Shawn and I…we had a history together. He was my friend since,” she smiled at the memories that played in her head, “since I can remember. We realized we were more than that when we kissed, unexpectedly. It was the start of high school. We started dating after being awkward around each other,” she chuckled, “but were inseparable ever since.”

Claire took a deep breath and Mia realized she sighed along with her, knowing beforehand, her story didn’t had the happy ending element anymore. “We wanted our family, our home, our life,” she shrugged, “everything ours, you know,” she looked at Mia, “It makes you selfish, you know,” she chuckled, “all you think about is that other person. How his happiness makes you happy, his peace brings you peace, his comfort, his joy is all yours.”

“It isn’t selfish,” Mia shook her head, a small smile on her lips as she looked at Claire, “Love makes you selfless,” she shrugged, “you think about others first,” Mia remarked but Claire shook her head.

“Not others…other. You’re selfish to the world.” Mia gave her a sad smile, trying to understand where she was coming from.
“Anyway, we later found that I couldn’t conceive. It was a shock to both of us. We just wanted it so much. We tried…so many doctors and all. Then finally, after so many years I had Jake,” she shook her head slightly, “we had Jake,” she corrected.

“It was the most wonderful day when I held him in my arms, when I saw Shawn take him in his arms. It was like a dream come true, Mia. There was just one thing though which always pricked me,” her eyes suddenly looked gloomy as she looked at Mia.

“Shawn never had any woman…a female in his life. He had two brothers and his mother died when he was two. After me, he always wanted his princess, his own angel and…and I couldn’t give it to him,” she drew in a shaky breath and Mia reached out to take her hand and gently squeezed it.

With her hand, Mia cleared away the tears that left their trail on Claire’s cheek as they fell on her lap. “We don’t have to conti…” Mia started.
“He came so happy one night and said, ‘Claire, I’ve found my angel.’”

“I admit, I was worried about his angel and where it came from,” she gave out a small laugh from between her sobs and falling tears. Claire raised her eyes to look directly into Mia’s sad ones, “He was talking about you.”

Mia’s heart tightened at the words, her throat becoming clogged with unshed tears. “He talked about you daily. How innocent and sweet you were, how beautiful and modest, how smart and hardworking. I got worried though. He never talked about anyone that way.”

“But I remember, he was lost in deep thoughts one day and,” she sniffled, “when I asked him what he was thinking about and he said, ‘I know why we never had a daughter because if we had one and she wouldn’t be what Mia is. I would’ve been…disappointed. God saved us from that disappointment, Claire. And well, he sent me Mia, anyway. She’s everything I want a person to be.’”

A sob wrecked through Mia’s body as she threw herself on Claire and hugged her tight. Claire kissed Mia’s temple. “He loved you, sweetheart.”
Mia nodded as she leaned back to look at Claire, “I’m sure your daughter would’ve been amazing, Claire. With heart as good as yours and soul as pure as his. She would’ve been amazing,” Mia inhaled sharply and sniffled.

“She is, sweetie," she paused, "You’ are that amazing.” Mia looked at her for a moment before another heart wrenching sob shook her body and she went in for a hug again.

“That’s why when I saw you at the place which was very near to the site he died at. I pulled over and came to you. So, you may not have to face the same fate as his and then I felt bad that you couldn’t remember but mainly, it was the moment you told me your name that I knew I had to help you. You were the same, Mia,” her voice was rough by now from continuous talking and crying.

She cleared her throat and Mia ran to her bedside table to pour her a glass of water. Claire thanked her, accepting the glass, gratefully. “I love you, Claire. So, so much,” Mia whispered.

“As I you. You know that’s why I hated Enrique,” Claire confessed but Mia looked at her confusingly, wiping the tears from her face, “He was a link to your past. Your friend and I thought he’ll take you away from us but…he cares about you and he made you smile and…happy. So, I thought he was fine,” she shrugged embarrassed.

Mia smiled at her, “Well, I’m not going anywhere. Even if he takes me to heaven or whatever.” Mia tried to joke but Claire held her face in her hands, firmly. “If he promise you a heaven. I’ll send you, forcefully,” She sniffled but her eyes were determined.

Mia smiled at her as Claire kissed Mia at her forehead when she heard a sound of door opening. “Sounds like Jake’s up,” she said and stood up as Enrique entered the room, “Hey,” he looked at Mia, “Are you feeling better?” he asked softly.

“Hmm…I guess not. Is Jake still in bed?” Claire asked Enrique. “Yes, he’s still asleep,” he answered as he moved to Mia. “Take care, Mia and you need rest,” she pointed to the bed as she went out the door.

“Claire?” Mia called out and she turned in the doorway, “Thank you,” she said softly. “And I love you,” she said smiling at her. Claire nodded with a smile and got out the door, slowly closing the door behind her.