Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Mysterious Little Things

Mia nodded uncomfortably, “I’m just gonna go, call Damon to see if he’s ok,” she said and Stefan gave her a funny smile. She was going to question it but the voice on other end took her undivided attention.

“Are you safe?” he asked.

“Yes, Damon. I’m home,” she smiled as she made her way out the door to gather up some fresh air for her lungs. “What about you?” she asked.

“Yep. Fresh as daisy,” she could hear the smile in his voice and it brought one to her lips too. “When are you gonna come back?” she asked, wondering how just his voice brought peace with it, easing her into a sea of tranquility, brushing away all her worries, all her fears.

“It’ll take a little while. You go home, if you want but…take Stefan with you,” he said, his tone turning stern at the last part. “I’ll be fine, Damon,” Mia assured him.

“Take him or I’ll come myself,” he almost threatened like him coming for her would be a bad thing. She almost committed to the latter but stopped herself in time. “Fine. I’ll take him,” she said and bit her tongue to stop herself from speaking her thoughts out loud.

“Read a book or something. I’ll see you later tonight…or tomorrow morning,” he told her, fighting for control. He had no idea she was doing the same on the other end.

“Ok,” she said, her voice husky as she cut off her call. With Damon’s suggestion, however, she had a new idea. She turned to Stefan, “Hey, can you…” she started.

“Yeah. I’ll drop you safely.”

“Eavesdropping, huh?” she smiled up at him.

“With such hearing. You can’t stop yourself,” he tilted his head and pointed to his ears. Mia rolled her eyes at him, “I need a book on the history of this town.”

“Oh. There are a lot of old journals or biographies. I think they would be more interesting to read,” he took two from the nearest cabinet as he handed them to her.

“Wow,” she took them gently and examined them, “It isn’t wrong, right?”

“No. You’re on luck today. The rest are stored in Zack’s room,” he said, starting to make his way up.

“Zack?” she questioned as she followed him. “Yeah. He was…a family,” he said, sadness dawning on his face which pinched Mia’s heart. She had come to care about all of them in such a short time and she knew she didn’t like to see any of them hurting.

“What happened?” she asked softly, wondering to herself if she should touch the topic or not.

“He was killed,” he replied as he looked at her with a little regret. “I’m sorry. Did they caught the culprit?” she took a step towards him and he offered her a small sad smile.

“Come on. It’s just there,” he pointed to a room in the farther corner. Mia understood suddenly the reason for his diverting her question, for the pain in his eyes, the regret behind them, “It was Damon, wasn’t it?”

“It’s ok. It doesn’t matter anymore,” he said simply with a lift of his shoulder when the door knocked a smile graced Stefan’s feature. Mia knew the reason. “Elena?” she asked, cocking her eyebrow.

He smiled at her knowingly, “I’ll just get the door,” he said and turned his face to look at her as he pointed to the top of the cabinet, “I think they’re placed in there.”

Mia smiled and opened the cabinet, her eyes landing on a box. Pulling out the box, she saw it filled with journals. Excitement rushed to her as she took it in her hands, weighing it.

She was scanning the journal when Elena jumped on the bed, “Hey Mia.” She greeted.

“Elena!” she chided. Elena laughed, “Come on. It was fun. You didn’t look at your face,” she smirked at her.

Mia cocked her head, “No, Elena but I saw yours and guess what?” she lifted the corner of her mouth, “I was scared,” she said and then winked at her.

Elena blinked her eyes, her mouth slightly open, “Wha…” Elena was surprised. Mia had said anything like that before. She just concluded, Mia was spending way too much time with Damon and that she thought was a good thing.

Mia laughed out loud, “Well, you didn’t see your face either.”

“Find what you’re looking for?” Stefan asked from behind, his eyes amused and Mia was happy to see the sadness from earlier dissipated.
“Yes, actually. Thank you,” she said as she pointed towards the box.

“”No problem. Here, I’ll put it in the car and then drop you home,” he picked up the box from the floor and went out.

“Come on out,” Elena motioned her outside as she went with Stefan. Mia was showing herself out the room when her eyes landed on a black and shiny something tucked under the mattress of the bed.

She wanted to just ignore it but curiosity got the better of her as she reached forward to take it in her hands. It was heavy than the other journals she had held and the smell of it burned in her nostrils. She ran her fingers on the smooth leather cover and turned it over.

“Mia? Are you coming or not?” Elena’s asked reached her and she fell out of the trance. She tucked the book back as she tabbed it in her mind to check it the next time she was here.

The book just spoke to her, screaming to check it out but she had no idea why she couldn’t just open it. It raised goose bumps on her skin and a very different emotion bubbled up inside her. Yes, she would definitely check it soon when her hands wouldn’t shake that way.

**--*--*--**--*--*--**--*--*--**--*--*--**--*--*--**--*--*--**--*--*--**--*--*--**--*--*--**

Damon searched the whole area in and outside the hospital building but he didn’t find anything and that worried him. Finding and knowing your enemy was better than staying in the dark and he knew already something was very wrong. He knew the instant he saw her necklace flashing on her neck.

Her…Mia. God, she was another puzzle piece in his life who was just hard to interpret. His mind was filled with nothing but confusion wherever she was concerned.

She had the ability to pull him in and he felt better, loved it whenever she was near him and he knew that she felt that at least. Better with him too. It showed in her clear brown eyes but with the damned guy Enrique, everything was becoming complicated and as much as he wanted to be happy that she had chosen Enrique over selfish him, he couldn’t do it.

It ate him away and pained him yet, he couldn’t stop the things that he felt. They rushed into him and consumed him and left him hanging for more.

Before returning home, he made his way to Mia’s knowing he had promised her. Seeing the window open to her room, his heart swelled and he smiled as he jumped in.

Entering the room, he saw her sleeping, her face peaceful. She did looked like an angel, laying there. Pure and filled with beauty. He couldn’t fight the force that pulled him in to her. As much as he wanted to stop, he couldn’t. One little touch wouldn’t hurt anybody. What a lie, he thought because he knew after that he would only want more.

Still, he went forward and sat at the side if her bed, carefully taking the book she reading from her hands to put it on the side table. His eyes were fixed on her face as he gently took the silky hair in between his fingers and let it torture him.

His fingers traveled from the side of her face to her warm neck where he could feel the blood pulsing through her with a steady beat and flow.
He remembered the day he took it from her, the first night he saw her. The sweet, heavenly, intoxicating flavor still haunted him. It was unique, just like her, truly hers.

He gathered his desire filled thoughts and stood up suddenly. He was losing it…again. He quickly switched off the lamp beside her and started towards window but he turned back to her, torturing himself further by planting a soft kiss on her forehead, his lips lingering more than a moment required but he couldn’t abstain from it.

He made his way out, hoping to sleep as peaceful as her though the tornado inside him was jerking his heart in the weirdest way. Love sucks, he knew that already but it made all the more sense now to him.