Status: Please let me know what you think of the story. :)

Roommates

Up And Down Again

--Carlin--

“So, that’s the copy room. That narrow hallway leads to the pantry where most of us stop by to take a break. And here, here is your station. Ta Da!” Freddy made an exaggerated gesture with his hands as he showed me my station. I stopped myself from laughing out loud from his ridiculous gestures and goofy faces, but my mouth tipped up on a smile.

“That is what I am waiting for.” Freddy said in a gentle tone, the playful attitude he had seconds ago gone. “Are you still nervous?” I nodded and let out a sigh I didn’t know I was holding in. “But it’s going away...I mean, I’m not as nervous as I was coming in here.”

“Don’t you worry, everyone here is kind and friendly. There are some who has a temper, but we’re all family here. If you need help, I’m here, Carmen’s here. And when you make friends here, they will be there for you, too.” I smiled at Freddy, feeling at ease, nervousness gone. It’s amazing how he managed to make me feel comfortable.

Even though I’ve only known him for half an hour, he already made me feel like I belong. He already made me feel that we’re friends. It feels like I’ve known him for years the way he’s being kind and friendly to me.

“Freddy!” A girl with a jet-black hair and a stunning color of blue eyes ran towards Freddy, her breath catching. She took a few breaths before speaking. The girl gave me a quick glance before turning her full attention to Freddy. “You’ve got a call on line 1. It has something to do about the politician’s daughter’s party you’re in-charge of.”

“Thanks Lu. I have to take that call...nice to meet you, Carlin. If you need help on anything, or if you have any questions, you know where my station is.” Freddy gave a little wave and walked away. I smiled at the girl, suddenly not knowing what to do.

I decided to introduce myself when Freddy suddenly came back. “I forgot my manners! Luna this is Carlin, Carlin this is Luna! Well then, see you guys later!” and just like that, Freddy was gone again. I gave out a laugh while Luna giggled, watching Freddy’s retreating figure.

“Nice to meet you.” We both said at the same time.

--Freddy--

I walked to the kitchen with my eyes closed, knowing the layout of the penthouse perfectly well. I have been living with my best friend and roommate Tyler for three years now. Tyler moved here in Boston to play professional hockey while I decided to give US a try and continued college here instead in Canada. It was Tyler who suggested that I live with him and the poor guy was so homesick back then that I said yes.

I slowly opened my eyes but closed it immediately as I was blinded by the sudden brightness. I cursed and brought a hand over my eye to cover it. And then I saw Tanya wearing one of Tyler’s shirts. “Morning Freddy!” she greeted cheerfully.

I rolled my eyes on her tone. Really? Who gets cheerful at 7 am in a Saturday morning? And what is she doing here?

“You stayed over?” I tried hiding the disbelief in my voice as I open the fridge and pulled out a bottle of orange juice. I opened the cupboard, looking for my mug when I noticed it on Tanya’s hand. She fucking used my mug. Tanya took a sip to whatever is on my mug and smiled at me before answering. “Well...Tyler isn’t really comfortable with me going home in the middle of the night so he asked me to stay over.”

Deciding it isn’t worth my time fighting over my mug, I took whatever my hand touched and filled it to the rim with the juice. I drank it in one go and refilled it. “Really? Tyler’s worried? Since when?” Tanya shrugged, but she looked happy of waking up in Tyler Seguin’s penthouse.

I wonder how much poison Tyler had that he let Tanya spend the night. As long as I know, Tanya is one of Tyler’s many booty calls; he sometimes did his business with his girls in the penthouse, but he never let them spend the night. It's wham bam thank you I’ll call you again when it comes to Tyler.

“What are you still doing here?” A hung-over and grumpy Tyler gritted as he took Tanya’s presence on his kitchen. He saw Freddy smirk. “Next time, do not use my mug. I’m not always hospitable. Please wash it after you used it.” Freddy gave me a pointed look and shook his head before leaving me with Tanya.

I might sound petty, but there’s something with Tanya that just gets on my nerves. I tried to be civil with her because my friends became her friends through Tyler, and I don’t want to disrespect my friends by disrespecting her. I swear I’m always civil and neutral when it comes with her, but sometimes, I can’t help but be mean towards her.

Tanya brings that out from me.

--Tyler--

Shit. How come I didn’t send her home? What is wrong with me? She’s been insisting to make me let her spend the night on my penthouse but I always refused. She’s getting too clingy and I could see that she wants more from me. This would only make it harder for me to send her away.
Tanya bit her lip, gauging my mood. “You told me to stay the night...” she answered carefully. My brow raised, I looked at her trying to remember what happened the night before. Nothing; I remember nothing but the party, the drinks and then the sex. There’s nothing about me telling her to stay the night.

“Whatever, you can go now. I’ll just call you.” I said dismissively and made myself a cup of coffee. Tanya looked mad at me, her eyes flashing with hurt and anger. I don’t give a damn actually. I don’t care about her at all; she’s a good lay and well, I liked her way before than now.

She didn’t used to be clingy and demanding. Now she’s trying to act like my girlfriend.

Tanya put the mug she’s using on the counter with force, sloshing the liquid out of it. I saw the mug crack and realized it was Fred’s. “I hate you.” She spat and ran to my room. Yeah right. A few days later she’ll be running back to me the moment I called.

I leaned against the counter, looking at the city through the huge floor to ceiling windows installed in the kitchen. I heard the front door slam shut, wondering how mad Tanya is. “She just left?” Freddy asked and stood beside me. “What a slamming exit.”

I chuckled but didn’t say anything. “What the hell dude?! Why is my mug broken?!”

Looks like I have to buy Freddy a new mug.

--Carlin--

Three weeks later and I’m still alive. I’m not stressed from my job yet. In fact, I’m enjoying it every single day and managed to do the tasks given to me without any problem. I usually worked with Freddy, at times with Luna. I managed to speak to my other colleagues beyond my usual two word answers which means I’m improving with my social skills.

Though, I am closer to Freddy and Luna.

Luna, I have learned is very attracted to Freddy though unfortunately, the latter doesn’t notice it. The three of us take our lunch together which what helped make us closer. It made me feel less alone too; even though I have to come home to a tiny room in a homeless shelter, knowing that I have friends to eat lunch with and talk about nonsense things the next day makes my life look a little less bleak.

The closer we are, the more questions on a personal level are asked. Luna and Freddy had no problem answering personal questions. I on the other hand surprised myself by actually telling them what they wanted to know. I usually shy away from any personal questions, trying to divert the attention away from me. But with them, I felt comfortable sharing my life.

They already knew about my mom who died of sickness, my dad who I didn’t know because he abandoned his pregnant wife. The struggles I have been experiencing the past year. I even told them about my previous roommate whom they thought was really rude.

I haven’t told them that I’m staying on a shelter for the homeless though.

That’s one thing I couldn’t share; it makes me feel dejected and makes me think that they will view me as a charity case once they know about it. I don’t want them to take pity on me. My circumstances might be harder but I don’t want them to look at me differently.

Freddy is being his usual self, being goofy and gesturing exaggeratedly when one of our colleagues Shane, came running to us, her eyes wide. “Carlin...someone from a homeless shelter called. They told me it’s important for me to tell you that the shelter is on fire.”

Everything stopped as I heard her words; it felt like my world moved into slow motion as what Shane said kept replaying on my mind. “Fire...the homeless shelter?” I asked in a shaky voice as tears welled on my eyes. I was doing so well...it’s slow but my life is picking up. Now...I’m faced with another problem.

Shane nodded. I heard Freddy asking me if I was okay. “I have to go.” I ran away, forgetting about my work or my friends who I left there worried about me. All I could think about was the only few things and possession that I have which by now must be turned into ashes that I just ran, not bothering to take a taxi.

I didn’t know what and how it happened, but the next thing I knew, I was getting out of Freddy’s car, or was it Luna’s and staring at the burned down building that used to be my home for the past three weeks. I stared numbly at where my room used to be, certain that whatever I had in that room is gone, burned.

“Carlin, do you know someone here? Do we need to look for someone here?” Luna asked, her hands rubbing my arms, trying to give me comfort. I shook my head and in a broken voice, I answered.

“I was staying here.”

--Freddy--

Carlin was a walking shell. After hearing her say that she was staying in what used to be a homeless shelter, I was shocked. Carlin doesn’t look like a homeless person; she’s got a fucking job. So why is she staying there?

I wanted to ask her that and many other questions, but now is not a proper time. She’s shocked and homeless. And whatever things she has are now gone. Luna offered her apartment for Carlin to stay for a while. I brought the girls home and saw that Luna’s apartment is in no state to accept another boarder.

It wasn’t tiny, but it doesn’t boast on space either. But Carlin wouldn’t and couldn’t stay there long because Luna’s sharing the apartment with two other roommates. But what can I offer? She obviously can’t afford a room in a hotel and there’s no way she could find an apartment that she can afford for now and with her own.

Luna is aware of that too, but since Carlin is her friend, she offered her home for her to stay. I told Carlin that I would find her clothes and said goodbye. Carlin just stared into space, not hearing a thing on what I said.

I thought of ways to help Carlin as I drove back home. I noticed five miscalls from Carmen, suddenly remembering that all three of us just ran to the shelter without telling her. Shane must have told Carmen about the call, but I need to explain things to her.

Carlin cannot lose her job on top of losing her home and all other thing she has.

After explaining to Carmen what happened over the phone, I headed to the penthouse and noticed that it was silent. Marshall, Tyler’s dog is sleeping on the floor, his owner nowhere in the apartment. Practice? Party?

I was chatting with my sister on the phone, asking her about some clothes and explaining her the reason why I needed them when I heard the door to the penthouse open and Tyler came in with his gear, looking tired. He took a drink from the kitchen giving a nod at me, then headed back to the living room. I wrapped my call to my sister and went to Tyler.

“I need to talk to you.” I sat on the couch across from him, my hands on my lap. “About what?”

“You know that room we had that we do not use? It’s fit for a bedroom so I was wondering if you...if it’s okay if we can lend it?” Tyler looked at me with narrowed eyes, confused. “Lend?”

I shook my head, waiting for him to ask questions. “Lend to whom?”

I took a deep breath and recounted everything that has happened to Carlin and stressed that she needs a place to stay. Though I left out the fact the she’s a girl. I kept addressing her as ‘this friend of mine’. On the days I have spent with Carlin, I assumed that she didn’t know that Tyler is my roommate, nor she’s interested with hockey.

I can’t make Tyler think that she might be a fan, or worst a puck bunny taking advantage of me or my kindness, hence, the leaving out of her gender in our discussion.

“Wow...that’s...he has no place to stay? No family?” I asked, feeling concerned and worried to Freddy’s friend that I haven’t even met yet. That person’s story sounded so tragic and well, Fred’s friend will need the help he can get.

“Sure. Invite him in. The lease is paid for anyway. He can stay as long as he needs to.” Freddy smiled, looking relieved. This guy really wanted to do everything he can for other people. The ever kind, helpful and generous Freddy.

Freddy shook my hand and gave me a bro hug. “Thanks dude.”

“No problem at all.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey there! Wow...the subscribers for one chapter up.
And recommendations :o
Thank you guys! :)
Here's the second chapter and please comment on what you think about this :)
Is the shift on the POVs bothering you guys? Was it easy to follow or should I put names to indicate who's POV it is?

<3