The House Next Door.

2:34

Friday

The jitters and excitement of the first game of the season flowed through Addison and the school day swirled in a blur and it was four o'clock and it was time.

Addison was scared.

She had to see him.

Traveling through the halls alone as her heart skidded into her chest. She tapped her knuckles on the wooden door before entering.

"Coach?"

Mr Hardy sat with palms pressed together staring intently ahead, he blinked his abnormal orbs and lifted his gaze.

"Addy" and his voice was barely audible. Mr Hardy gazed closely at her before commenting. "Jitters?"

Addison sighed and nodded stepping through the door.
Mr Hardy motioned toward the seat in front of him and Addison lowered herself in the metallic chair. He pulled the chair forward and Addison took noticed their knees touching.

"I don't think I can pitch" and she didn't mean to say it but it flew out of her mouth reflexively.

Mr Hardy sharply peered at her. "Of course you can, do not doubt yourself".

Addison lip lowered. A new position was never easy for a player and she was so used to being the first basemen.

"What's in your hand?" He wondered.

Addison lowered her gaze and held the urge to giggle.

Silently she handed the thick braided blue bracelet then raised her jersey to her elbow showing off the exact same one.
Mr Hardy lowered his hand and began to run his fingers over it, twisting it.

Mr Hardy met her eyes and licked his lips. "Very nice of you"

"I told you I would make it" She replied calmly and averted her gaze away from his plump lips.

Not speaking another word he twisted it and raveled it until it was braided on his wrist.
Addison smiled, as her heart seemed to drop against her ribcage.

Mr Hardy leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees and he just stared.

Addison did not look away. She opened her mouth but he interrupted Addison by speaking quickly.

"I have complete faith in you"

Addison cocked her head as she comprehend and processed his sweet words to her. "I want to win" she instead said.

"Do it, you can" Mr Hardy nodded.

"I.." Addison trailed off frowning. "I'll try"

"You will" Mr Hardy voiced sharp.

Addison suppressed her smile. "I feel different" she gazed up. "Excited even"

"Change is always good, Darling" Mr Hardy tapped rhythmically on her knee before he stood in a graceful stance.

He glanced and raised his lips. "Game time".

Addison for the first time took notice in his attire, the light blue uniform clung to him, the pants.

The pants

The fitted hat matched her own and Mr Hardy looked too .. Desirable to be a coach or even a teacher.

"Let's go" he spoke softly leading her out. Addison peered at the muscles forming in his back as he walked.
Addison tugged on her pony tail nervously.

Then, she realized she wasn't nervous of the game. Addison was nervous of disappointing him.
She tried to imagine the possibility and actual discomfort in her chest formed.

The pair walked closely together. Maybe actually to close to comfort but neither noticed or cared.
Mr Hardy hand sudden twitched at his side and he clenched his fist.
His knuckles turned white.

"Bye" Addison said as the locker room was to her left.

Mr Hardy halted and glanced at her. "See you out there, no jitters" and Addison walked around him letting out a shaky laughed.

Mr Hardy pulled at her wrist. Addison whipped her head and met colorful eyes. "Think of us. Just us on the field as before" and his eyes searched hers. "Think of me"

Addison felt light headed and a bit on cloud nine. "Okay" she breathed. He released her and gently pushed her to the door.

Addison glanced and Mr Hardy danced his fingers at her which caused her to smile, and Mr Hardy returned the smile.

Addison stepped through the swinging doors feeling such surreal happiness. She bounced toward Marcy.

Is this what love feels like?

Then Addison froze.

_____________________________

Figures of loved ones of each player formed in the stands and cheered and Addison instantly sought out her parents. Michael held a sign that read. "Addy #1" and she caught a glimpse of Louis too.

Her cleats sunk in the mount, she pounded the softball in the woven glove. Addison began to slowly raised her arm.
She met the girl gaze and cocked her head.

Her arm flicked easily, the softball disappeared from her grasp.

The umpire waved his hands. "Out". Addison lowered her head and patted her hands into her glove. She stepped off the mount.

The pitcher passed and seemed to have to the time to push Addison, bumping shoulders.

Maybe it's because we're winning

And it was the eight inning.
Addison was smug.

The players entered the mound and Mr Hardy assigned batters.

"Jared, go"

Marcy danced and griped a bat and a placed a helmet on her head.
Addison turned and looped her fingers through the fence.
Michael and Louis ran toward the fence.

"Hi, guys" she smiled. "Having fun?"

"Daddy says you're a pro" Michael instead said. Addison smiled easily. A faint sound of the ball being hit by the aluminum bat caused the crowd to cheer.

"Frost" Mr Hardy screamed. Addison glanced at the boys.

"Be right back" Addison told them ushering to Mr Hardy.

Mr Hardy face was hard and Addison instantly frowned. "No distractions please" he murmured. "As bad as it seems I know"

"Go" Mr Hardy motioned.

Addison sighed and grabbed a bat and a helmet. She took off her hat and placed it next to Mr Hardy's bottle of water.
Mr Hardy nodded and Addison left the pit.

Addison squinted against the sun and met Marcy gleeful gaze from first base.
Addison stood inches away from the base and turned her body.

The pitcher held a hard glare in her direction. She shook her head slightly and then nodded quickly drawing her hand to shoot forward.

The ball flew right into her. It smacked right into her waiting bat, Addison flung the bat to the right and took off.

Marcy flew to second base, but Addison fumbled slightly.

"Run" the crowd screamed.

But there was something wrong.
Her breathing slowed and it was suddenly hard to breath.

Sliding into first, Addison was safe. She stood and faced second base. Marcy mouthed words of concern to her.
Addison gave her a thumbs up. Then she fiddled with the bracelet on her wrist.

Round all the bases and we win.
Addison wanted to dance, cheerful.

Addison caught her breath and watched as the softball soared through the sky. Marcy boldly took off screaming.

Fuck it

Addison stepped off first base and saw the players fumbled for the ball. Cassidy Adams, who caused the soaring ball.

Addison hesitantly ran toward second flinging her head back to watched the players scram.

"Run" she screamed at Marcy,

They were all stealing the bases.

This team was slow. No challenge.

"Don't do it" Mr Hardy yelled pointing his fingers.

So Cassidy halted at second.
Marcy flew against the dirt and landed into home base.

"Yes" Addison hissed as she stood on third.
The player from the opposite team scoffed.

The pitcher glanced at Addison sharply. Addison stepped off the plate and placed her hands on her knees.

Addison glanced at Cassidy when Joan Dermount stepped on the batters plate.

Joan, always tapped the ball, which led to the name 'tapper' .

Addison would need to run, fast.
Her hand absently held to her side gathering her breaths.

Joan tapped the softball and the pitcher lunged forward ungracefully. Addison took off in a straight line. The pitcher flung the ball toward the catcher.

Addison flung herself to the base.
She wheezed coughing as the umpire declared it was safe.

Addison was the winning point.

Addison held in her wince as she stood. She walked slowly to the pit, Marcy and all the girls rushed her.

Addison leaped into Marcy arms and the girls surrounded them hugging them.
Mr Hardy shook hands with the opposing coach and the girls lined up.
One by one they all shook hands.

The captains approached one another. Marcy and Addison stood in front of glaring girls.

"Nice game" Addison held out her hand. It was a sincere gesture.

"Go fuck yourselfs" and the girls stepped away.

"Poor sportsmanship bitch" Mary called after them. Addison shrugged.

"Man, did you whip them" Marcy grinned.

"Nah" Addison shook her head. "We all participating in the whipping"

The best friends laughed and turned. Addison and Marcy winced as Mr Hardy stood inches away, glaring at them.

"Are you two insane?" He wondered with a furrow brow.

"No" Marcy answered seriously. Mr Hardy glanced at her sharply.

"Do not pull that shit again" he scolded. Addison flinched then lowered her head.

Marcy mumbled. "Sorry".

Mr Hardy soften as Michael and Louis rushed toward them. Addison's lips twitch.

"Oh my god" Michael yelled.

"Please no autographs" Marcy laughed.

Mr Hardy caught his son in his arms as Louis leapt to him. "Daddy, we won"

Addison smiled and glanced at Marcy, who held her chest. "Oh my"

Addison laughed and glanced to see Logan and Elizabeth approaching them.

Logan smiled proudly at Addison and hugged her tightly against him.
Elizabeth mimicked Logan and hugged Marcy as well.

Addison glanced to see Michael kicking dirt toward Marcy and her warning him. "I'll use your head as a ball during the next game, don't test me little boy"
Michael rolled his orbs.

"Any plans?" Logan wondered.

"Costume shopping" The girls said unison.

"Then?" Logan asked.

"Perhaps a party-" Marcy shrugged. "Perhaps a org-"

"Okay" Elizabeth snapped glancingly at the two boys nervously. Addison pressed her lips in a line and leaned towards Michael.

"What had you wincing before?" Mr Hardy murmured.

"What?" Addison paused blinking. "Oh, that" her eyes narrowed. "I lost my breath".

Mr Hardy peered at her curiously. "Mhm" escaped his lips as a calculating expression clouded his handsome features.

"So-" Marcy declared and stepped away. "I would love to go to the mall" she glanced.

"See you guys later" Addison smiled and met his eyes.

"Take me with you" Michael screamed. Addison lips twitched considering. Marcy shrugged, not really caring.

"Honey, you and Louis are going to the park" Elizabeth told him.

Michael seemed to forget ever asking and he turned away from his sister instantly. Addison grinned.

Mr Hardy gazed at her and she lifted her lips stepping away from him.

And she could feel his gaze as she walked the field.

It brought the butterflies.
______________________________

Marcy pulled into the driveway and turned to Addison smiling. The pair had achieved the task of buying a costume.
Marcy was thrilled to be a sexy pirate as Addison was content with being Wendy.

But Marcy had convinced her into buying something a little more daring for the Halloween party.
Addison was shy about the whole buying the costume.
A sexy sailor didn't seem flattering but it went with Marcy's costume as being the pirate. So Addison bought two.

The neon lights informed of the time being 12:34

Addison was so tired. "Call me?" Marcy leaned over to hug her.

"Marc, you know I will" Addison hugged her.

"I love you" Marcy sang as Addison shut the passenger door lightly.

"I love you" Addison blew kisses and swung the bags in her hands. The red Honda peeled out of the driveway, the smell of burnt rubber filled her nostrils.

Addison crept into the silent home and trailed up the stairs carefully. Once, in her room she placed the bags down and began to undress in her night gear.

Addison reached for the windowsill and pulled it open. Climbing out, she grabbed a blanket along the way. She laid against the blanket and stared up at the stars until the stars were to bright to view.

Addison sat up and stared at the neighbors window. She peered around a grabbed a light pebble.

Without a second thought she threw the pebble against the window.

Seconds ticked by and a light flashed against the curtains and Mr Hardy pulled the curtain.
Addison smiled and waved her fingers at him.
Mr Hardy disappeared and the windowsill opened.

"What are you doing?" Asked Mr Hardy.

"Enjoying the stars" Addison replied tilting her chin up.

Mr Hardy began to balanced himself and came toward her. He folded himself beside her.

"How was the shopping trip?" He asked gazing around.

"A success" Addison answered.

"Ah, very good"

Addison gazed up at him, in flannel pajama almost identical to hers and a black long sleeve, she quickly noticed the bracelet.
He was still wearing it.

"Why'd you run?" He suddenly asked. Addison glanced at him and it took her a second to understand.

"The team tonight was extremely awful"

"You practically flaunted your strengths. You girls were showing off"

Addison pursed her lips. "I suppose".

"I heard what those girls said" Mr Hardy gazed at her, meeting her eyes. "I'm glad you girls won"

Addison smiled, beaming up at him.

"But don't do that again" Mr Hardy said sternly.
Addison laughs with a tilt of her head, but it ends in soft giggles as she remembers of the time.
Mr Hardy purses his lips and leaned back on his hands. Addison turned her head glancing.

"May I ask you a question?" Addison asks.

Mr Hardy gaze shifts to her lips as she speak. He nods and Addison shifts toward him.

"I sometimes feel.. Alone. Do you ever feel like that?" She wonders innocently.

"I have my son" Mr Hardy answers smiling slightly at the mention. "But how would you feel alone?" It somehow irks him.

"I honestly feel alone" Addison sighs.

"I'm here, Addison" Mr Hardy says softly. Addison catches her breathe and peers at him.

"But not in the sense .." Addison trials off.

Mr Hardy lips twitch and he raised a brow. "You want me to be?"

Addison sputters and gasped. Gawking at him.

"What do you want Addison?" Mr Hardy askes with a wicked glint in his eyes.

You

Addison opens her mouth but closed it quickly. She slowly narrows her eyes. "Uh.."

"I suppose I'm being cheeky" Mr Hardy suddenly grins.

Addison scoffs and shoves him playfully.

Mr Hardy marvels and thinks of the all the reason to embrace her.
And he slowly moves his fingers to her wrist pulling her into his chest. Addison gasps and is close to shuddering.

"You're such a beautiful girl"

Addison sighs into him and presses her nose to his shoulder. "You really think I'm beautiful?" She asks. "I don't feel like I am"

"Addison" Mr Hardy sighs and she can feel his hands travel to her hair. He begins to caress her hair. "You're more than beautiful, you're more than your beauty" then he grimaced. "I'm possibly crossing a line"

"I wish.." She trials off and what she means to say, to wish for is her being able to.. With him.

Mr Hardy arms tightens around her. "I know" he responds.

And it sends butterfly's to erupt in her abdomen.

"I'm really sorry" she says.

"Ah" Mr Hardy shakes his head. "It's entirely my fault. I saw you first"

And Addison pulls away. "Huh?" She asks and a gorgeous smiles spread across his face.

"I first caught a glimpse of you on the field before I moved into my home" Mr Hardy lowers his head sheepishly. "I thought you were possibly a aid- I didn't know. But I knew you were gorgeous. I- please don't take alarm to this but I watched you".

Addison stared dumbfounded. "You're lying to me" she states.

Mr Hardy narrowed his eyes and smiling devilishly at her. "No, darling".

"No seriously-"

"As I said before Im crossing the line. So I should be the one who's apologizing-"

He stops as Addison shakes her head from side to side. "Oh my lord" she whispered.

And she presses her head to his chest and begins to laugh shakily, hysterically.

Mr Hardy absently brushes her hair out of her face. "I'm being inappropriate".

"No" Addison's bursts. "I--" she pauses and lowers her head blushing a scarlet red. "You're a very handsome man"

Mr Hardy leaned back and peers at her. "A man and a girl" he says.

Addison presses her lips together. "Honestly, I don't mind. I love being able to see you or talk to you or even lay on a roof with you" then she smiles.

Mr Hardy smiles and catches his breath. "You're absolutely beautiful"

Addison lowers her head.

"I seem to not regret telling you" Mr Hardy expression is thoughtful.

"That I'm beautiful?" She peers at him.

"Oh" a crooked smiles spreads. "I'll inform you of that on a daily basis"

And Addison moves closer to him as he speaks. "Why me?"

"Because your smile is something I'd like to look at" Mr Hardy lock gazes with her. "Hopefully"

Addison can not seem to speak and glances at her windows and in the clock on her bedside reads.

2:34

She glanced back at Edward. "I'll call you Edward from now on" she nods.

"Haven't you always?" He chuckles softly. She smiled and Mr Hardy leans into the panel of the house.

"Addy?" He asks.

"Yes?" She swallows.

And Mr Hardy just smiles pulling her to his chest. "I want to hold you while I can"

"Does that mean this never happened?"

"No, I'll still think your beautiful in the morning" he answers.

"I think- I care for you" Addison whispers.

"I think so too" and she could hear the smile in his voice.

"I really can't believe-"

Mr Hardy squeezes her. "Please for god sakes know your worth. I have been telling you for months now".

"Sorry, sorry" she mumbles.

"You're tired" he states. She nods into him and hears his chuckle below her earlobe.

"I don't want to leave" she says. "It's perfect here"

"I'm not telling you to go" Mr Hardy says.

And Addison feels the tiredness of the day linger in her eyelids causing her orbs to heavily close.

"I'm falling asleep" She tells him.

"I'll be right here when you wake up" he tells her in return.

Addison falls asleep in Mr Hardy arms.