Karl the Great

EPILOGUE

On the night from March the 30th to 31st in 2013 Karl dreamt of Luke.

Karl stepped a little bit closer to Luke's grave, that he hadn't visited since the day it was put there. He placed a big rose, colour of ripe cherries, onto Luke's rest place. Karl looked at the flower, not having enough courage to look anywhere else. Suddenly he felt shivers running down his whole body and he swore he saw two ghostly feet in front of the rose. Karl freaked out and looked up, seeing Luke with lips formed into a small smile.

“Lu...” – Karl started, too afraid to even say the other's name out loud, his voice shaking and his hand reaching out for the boy in front of him.

“I know you have something to tell me. I'm here to listen” – Luke said simply.

“I...I-I...” – Karl's voice cracked – “Why did you do it?”

“You hurt me, Karl” – Luke's sweet voice from the tragic night echoed in the air – “I wanted the part of you that you refused to give to anyone, but got myself hurt by you in the process”

“Luke, I love you” – Karl blurted out, collapsing on his knees before the boy – “I don't know how to tell you how much I love you... I love you more than I know how to tell you...”

“It has no meaning now, Karl” – Luke said, patting the other's head gently.

“Sometimes I hear your cries, Luke. I feel your body breaking under the weight of my selfish love on my finger tips... I shout for you into the night, but you never answer...” – Karl sobbed.

“Silence is the dirtiest trick in life” – Luke ran his fingers from Karl's hair down to his chin, lifting it up lightly, so Karl would face Luke's sad eyes – “Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and they will come forth later in uglier ways. That's what you'll have to deal with until the day you die.”

With that Luke disappeared and Karl woke up. His head was still resting onto the waist of Igor, who now was passed out and breathing calmly. Karl closed his eyes again, wishing for Luke to come back. He craved to see Luke again, no matter how much it hurt, but the boy never showed himself anew.