Status: give it a try

Back for You

It’s been a really, really messed up week. Seven days of torture, seven days of bitter.

“Sienna, I’m trying to study here! Could you please just turn the music down a little bit?” I shouted from my room as I heard one of my best friend all time favorite song, Raise Your Glass by Pink, blast very loudly in our flat. I wondered how the hell the neighbors hadn’t bang on our door and yell at us.

“If only you make me lasagna, Jen!” I had to roll my eyes at that. Of course she’s not letting it go that easily. Everything has its cost, she always says to me. And now, it cost lasagna for peacefulness around the flat. Only Sienna could do that.

I huffed, “I’ll make one for Ryan, too!” A mere second later I heard her squeal and Ryan shout a ‘thank you’, and finally, no longer ‘Raise Your Glass’. She probably turned the volume really down or just stopped the song. I sighed in relief and went back on reading my text book.

So, staying in the same flat with a best friend was probably not the best decision I’ve ever made in my life. It sounded like a really great idea at first, but trust me, it’s not really. Especially when you really take your studying seriously and you know you’d be graduating early than your best friend.

It’s not like I wasn’t grateful of living with Sienna, because to be honest it’s just not possible to be not grateful when she’s letting herself to share her posh flat with me. This flat was far, like really far, from the flat I used to live in a year ago. But sometimes, living with Sienna could be kind of hard. But uh, I bear with it though. We bear with each other most of time. Besides, it’s not like Sienna’s staying home every night.

Just when I was concentrating again, I heard moans, disgusting moans, coming from the room across mine, “Un-fucking-believable.” I muttered under my breath and shook my head faintly, “Guys! Really?!” I shouted as I packed my book into my bag, not having a second thought to go out of the flat immediately.

I heard nothing in return. The disgusting sound only got louder and more annoying than it already had, “I’ll be at Starbucks if you’re looking for me, which you probably won’t… So, bye!” I shouted right outside Sienna’s room as I slung my bag over my shoulder.

“Thanks, Jen!” Ryan shouted as I walked out of the flat.

The walk to Starbucks wasn’t really far. It’s only 2 blocks away from the flat but, at 10 o’clock at night, it seemed pretty far. I know I could’ve taken her car, but I just didn’t want to. I needed some fresh air to refresh my brain, though.

Suddenly, I remembered my first night in London with Sienna. As soon as I dropped my bags and all my stuff at my old flat that she hated, she drove me around the town and took me sightseeing. I’d never been to London before so Sienna practically just took me sightseeing for 3 days. It was really fun. I didn’t remember when the last time I had so much fun after those days. Everything’s always about school.

When I was already at Starbucks, I ordered a tall size of my favorite Caramel Macchiato and picked a seat in the corner of the room. I didn’t need more distraction after the distraction I had before. I had enough for today, really.

*****

It was almost midnight when I finished studying and finishing my essay. It was already late and I started to panic of how I would go home. I didn’t bring a car and I also wasn’t in the mood to go home and greeted by the two love birds. Where should I go?

I pulled out my phone and scrolled through my contacts, trying to find someone who I could call in the middle of the night like this without bothering them in their peaceful slumber. And I decided to call Liam.

“Hey, Jen.” He answered on the third ring.

“Hi, Li,” I spoke, “Did I wake you up or something?” I asked carefully. He’s a busy lad so I didn’t want call him just to interrupt him sleeping. He needed his sleep.

“Nah, you didn’t. I was actually just on my way back home, though. What’s up?” Thank God I called at the right time.

“Uh, is it okay if you pick me up at Starbucks near my flat? It’s only 2 blocks away from my flat, actually. I know you might think that I’m such a brat but you have to understand that—“

“It’s okay, Jen. Chillax, would ya?” he cut me off and laughed, “I’ll be there in 15. See ya, Jen.” With that, we both hung up and I waited for another 15 minutes until Liam pick me up. It kind of shocked me when Liam answered my call. I haven’t seen him again since that night at the club which was 2 weeks ago yet he’s willing to pick me up in the middle of the night like this. What a friend he is.

He’s right when he said in 15 minutes he’d be here. I crawled into the passenger seat and put my bag in the back seat, “I’m sorry I had to call you in the middle of night like this.” I spoke up as I closed the door and he started to drive off.

“It’s okay, Jen. Really,” he laughed, “What were you doing though?”

“I was just studying.” I shrugged my shoulders casually, “I was actually studying at home but unfortunately, I was distracted by some… disgusting noise that came out from my best friend’s room. If you know what I mean.”

Liam laughed at my words, “That must be suck.”

“You have no idea,” I rolled my eyes playfully, “By the way, where have you been?”

“Uh, I actually was supposed to have a date tonight, but the girl bailed on me. You know... the lads were trying to set up a date for me but, uh, it didn’t really work out.” I grimaced at his words, “So I spent my night watching movie at Niall’s house.”

“Why didn’t you go back home?” I continued to ask.

“Just didn’t feel like staying at home at all.” He shrugged his shoulders casually. Then there was silence; a silence that I really wanted to break because it wasn’t really a comfortable silence.

“I’m sorry,” I turned to see him and gave him an apologetically smile, “It’s her loss, really.” He took a quick glance at me and returned my smile.

“Uh, it’s okay if I stay at your place for a night, right?” I quickly changed the subject. I just didn’t want to bring up something that might bring him down, “I mean, with Sienna and Ryan together at my flat, I just couldn’t go back there, you know. It’s just—“

“Calm down, Jenna.” He laughed again, “It’s okay. Stop worrying, okay?”

We made small talk again here and there, just catching up on each other, before we pulled up at his place. His flat was even bigger than Sienna’s. I didn’t know how to describe it, but the flat was simply amazing. Yes it was a bit messy but I didn’t think I should care about that. I was thankful enough to be allowed staying a night in his flat.

“Just make yourself at home, okay?” He said as he walked past me to the kitchen. Then he showed me where the kitchen was, the bathroom, and everything. Then I found a problem. There were 2 bed rooms in his flat, but the other one wasn’t actually a bed room. He told me that he put his small piano in that room, along with other things. Where was I supposed to sleep tonight?

“So, you’re going to sleep in my room.” He said calmly as I trailed behind him and immediately stopped walking when he said that.

“No way, Li. I can’t sleep in your room. Where are you going to sleep tonight?” I told him and raised my eyebrows.

Before he could walk in to his own room, he turned around and faced me, “I’m just going to sleep on the couch.” He pointed the couch that seemed so comfy in his living room. I was about to open my mouth and say something but he cut it, “It’s fine, Jenna. You can stay in the bed and I’ll just sleep on the couch. I insist.”

“Okay, if you insist.” In the end, I decided to just cave in because I thought there was no point to argue with him when we’re both tired. He smiled widely like he’s proud at himself before continuing to walk in to his room. Unsure what to do, I followed him.

While he walked to his closet, I decided to just put my bag on the ground and sat on the edge of his king-sized bed, “I got you some of my clothes that I think will fit on you. They’re probably still big but uh, it’s better than sleep in those clothes, yeah?” he put down the clothes just beside me and backed down.

“Yeah, you’re right.” I chuckled, “Once again, thank you, Liam.” He only nodded and flashed me a smile before locking himself in the bathroom.

I immediately changed my clothes into the ones he borrowed me to and crawled myself into his bed. God. The bed was really comfy and I could smell a bit of men's cologne, that I believed its Liam's of course. Before I could think about anything else, I lie there comfortably and drifted off to sleep.

*****

When I woke up the next day, I was confused for a little while because I wasn’t in my own room. But then, I realized that I stayed a night at Liam’s flat. As I rolled over and inhaled, I could smell Liam’s scent (again) strongly. These pillows, blanket, and bed were all smelled exactly just like him. It’s unbelievable. It made me a bit dizzy, but a good kind of dizzy.

I grabbed my phone from the bedside table and checked the time; 06:45 AM. It’s clearly already time for me to get up. I made up the bed and tied my hair in a messy ponytail. I didn’t really care about how bad I looked probably at the moment. Slowly and quietly with my phone on hand, I walked out of Liam’s room to the kitchen, passing the living room where Liam slept soundly on the couch. A smile crept on my lips as I realized how cute and peaceful Liam looked.

As I waited for him to wake up, I made myself a cup of tea just so I could be fully awake and think of what I’m going to do next. I couldn’t just leave without saying goodbye and thanks to Liam. He’d done a lot for me last night and my parents taught me manners so I just couldn’t leave like that.

I could’ve sworn that I almost jumped from the stool when my phone rang pretty loudly through the quiet flat. I quickly answered it without checking the caller I.D, “Hello?” I whispered to the phone.

“Why are you whispering?” I rolled my eyes at the voice of my big brother, Mike, who could be heard from the receiver.

“Get over it, Mike.” I tried to brush him off, “What’s the matter, though? Why are you calling me this early?”

“Oh, nothing… Just want to check up on my dearest little sister.” I chuckled, “How are you?” I sighed in relief as the conversation was shifted to a light topic. Mike asking me about Liam was the last thing I need right now.

“Well, I’m good. And, uh, it’s great, really,” I stopped to catch a breath, “For your information, I was successfully made some new friends beside Sienna, Ryan and a few other people from university.”

“Oh, really? That’s nice for you.” He seemed genuinely surprised.

“Why’d you sound so surprised? Do you doubt my capability of communication with other people?” I asked before sipping my tea again.

“Nah, just surprised, that’s all.” I could tell he was shrugging his shoulders when he said it, “I’m just wondering if they actually could stick with you for more than a few months. Well, I know how crazy you can be so I’m just wondering if they’re okay with having a crazy friend like you.”

“Hey!” I rolled my eyes playfully, “Just so you know, they’re just as crazy as I am. So push that silly thought aside, bro.” He laughed, “Anyway, how are you?”

“Oh, I’m great and, uh, still balancing between school and work, though. It can be so exhausting sometimes,” he stopped for a while, “I’m planning to hop on a train to London in a few months, actually.”

Now this made me surprise, “Really?”

“Yeah, I’ve been thinking to visit you since, like, a few weeks ago. It’s been a long time since the last time I saw your face. I kind of miss you.” I could start to feel tears burning in my eyes. I’ve missed Mike too. The last time I saw him was four months ago, when he gave me a surprise visit and told me that he’d be going to a graduate school in Germany.

“I kind of miss you too, bro.” I smiled sadly, “I talked to Mom and Dad two weeks ago. They said it’s been lonely at home without both of us.” Talking to my parents is actually one of the things that I could never really do without crying. Living in London without both of them had been hard, especially in the first month. I remembered talking to Mom almost every night on my first week here.

“Yeah, they told me that too. They’ve also been asking me when I have time to go home, but all I could say is just ‘soon’,” he stopped to catch a breath, “I can’t just promise them anything, you know. I really have no idea when I could go home and visit them. I just hope they understand.”

“I’m sure they understand you, Mike. Don’t worry, though. Maybe we can go home together on Christmas, right? Who knows?”

“Jenna?” Again, I almost jumped from my seat when I heard Liam’s voice. He’s awake. He’s probably awake because he heard me talking on the phone. Oh God. I felt bad for waking him up in such an early time like this.

“In the kitchen!” I shouted through the flat and a few seconds later, Liam appeared, “Good morning, Li.” I smiled and nodded at him, “I didn’t wake you up, did I?”

“Nah… You didn’t, Jen.” He smiled back and turned to make himself a cup of tea.

“Jen? Who’s that? Is that a guy?” I heard Mike’s voice from my phone and I was sure as hell that Liam could hear him too because he looked up from his mug and grinned cheekily at me.

“Yes, that’s my friend, Mike. He’s awake.” I said to the phone with a roll of my eyes.

He?” he faked a gasp, “Jenna Ruth Robertson, what have you done this time?” Mike started to ask me with a hint of panic on his voice. I shut my eyes for a little while because I just couldn’t bear looking at Liam who’s trying to hold his laugh.

“Mike, I didn’t do anything. You should take a deep breath and calm yourself. Quit being dramatic, bro.” I sighed heavily.

“Put me on speaker.” He demanded.

What? Why the hell you want me to put you on speaker, Mike?” I asked with my eyes bulged out. He couldn’t be serious, could he?

“Put me on speaker.” He said again, this time more seriously.

“Fine.” I sighed, “But promise me that you won’t say anything that could possibly embarrass me.” I put my phone on the counter and put it on speaker. Liam leaned casually on the refrigerator door with a mug of tea on his hand, “Hey, mate. I’m Mike, Jenna’s brother.”

I looked up to see Liam smiling smugly at me. “Oh hey, I’m Liam…” he trailed off, looking unsure of what to say.

“Oh… So you’re one of her new friends, eh? I’ve never heard of you from Jenna before.” I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

“That’s because you never ask me, Mike.” I defended myself.

“Yeah, you could say that. We met a few months ago through Sienna.” Liam told Mike casually as he put his mug on the counter.

“So, Liam, is Jenna giving you a hard time last night?” My eyebrows raised and I thought my heart just stopped beating while Liam just laughed loudly and clutched to his stomach like it’s really funny.

“Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?!” I asked frantically to the phone, “I swear, Mike, if—“

“I’m talking to Liam, Jen. Just shut up for a little while, yeah?” I huffed and rolled my eyes again.

“Of course not, Mike. She’s just staying a night because, uh, her roommate is… preoccupied.” Liam answered as soon as he calmed himself.

“Okay, okay, that’s enough, Mike. I have classes to attend today and of course, you do too. So, bye! I love you, bro!” I hung up the phone before Mike could say something again. I buried my head in my hands and groaned loudly.

“So, that’s your brother, eh?” I looked up to see Liam still smiling smugly at me. And man, even when he just woke up, he still looked good. He was wearing a loose white t-shirt and his grey sweatpants hung lowly on his hips. His hair was pretty messy too and that made him look sexier. Oh God. What did I just think? Stop it, Jen.

“Please just don’t mind him. He could be very… Annoying and disturbing sometimes.” I grimaced and shook my head faintly, “Just forget everything just said to you, okay?”

“How can I? That’s pretty… entertaining.” He barked a laugh, “Too bad I don’t get the chance to talk with him more than a few minutes today.”

“I can’t imagine what he’d say again to you if I didn’t hang up.” I shook my head in disbelief.

“Amusing, funny things, I bet.” Liam said with a shrug of his shoulders and I just laughed. For the very first time in these two stressful weeks of classes and assignments, I finally could have a little time to have a little laugh and relax.
♠ ♠ ♠
Meet the cast of this story ;)

Image
Lily Collins as Jenna

Image
Katelyn Tarver as Sienna

Image
Joe Jonas as Ryan

Image
Joel Peat (from Lawson) as Mike

Anyway, here's chapter 3! What do you think of this chapter? What do you think of Mike? Lol.

Comment. Subscribe. Recommend. Or anything. Thank youuu :D