With Love, From Italy

Five

Somehow Leigh found the room to stuff some dinner into her, and used it to her advantage as they filed into a bar and drinks were placed in front of her. Not wanting to spend a day in the sun with a hangover she had vowed to herself that she wouldn’t get rip roaring drunk as the others seemed to plan to do. Instead she would take the drink she was given and nurse it with her for as long as possible, considering she had already promised Belle that she would do one shot. Glancing around the bar she spied John waving her down and taking a mouthful of her drink made her way over.

“So Leigh, how are you liking your first day of our family vacation?” he inquired and the redhead took a moment to find the words she needed. Unique sprang to mind, but she felt that may be taken the wrong way.

“It’s certainly lively; I get the feeling I’ll never get bored,” she answered and he roared with laughter, placing an arm around her and pulling her to him.

“I think you’ll fit in here just fine; but don’t let that rascal son of mine get his way.”

“Oh he won’t John, don’t worry. It’s going to have to be all Italian for him this trip.”

“Somehow I don’t think he’ll mind,” John grinned and Leigh returned it as he released her. Taking another sip of her drink she tapped her foot along to the beat of the music. At that point the speakers were blasting all the latest hits, although the redhead noticed a band setting up on the tiny stage in the corner. She was watching them do so, occasionally conversing with one of the older adults when Belle appeared, wrapping a hand around her wrist and dragging her away. They ended up in the opposite corner, huddled together as Belle placed her hands on Leigh’s shoulders.

“You’re welcome!” the girl called over the music and Leigh furrowed her brows, thoroughly confused over what it was in response to. Belle simply rolled her eyes, leaning in closer. “For convincing you to come along; I’ve never seen you so relaxed and enjoying yourself.”

“That’s probably because I haven’t in the time we’ve known each other,” Leigh called back. It was true; ever since she had started her new job she couldn’t remember the last time she simply kicked back and took in the moment. If there wasn’t heartbreak there were deadlines at work and her housemate continually trying to ruin any zen she mustered. Ever since she had checked her luggage in at the airport and boarded the plane she had felt a weight lift off her shoulders. “Thank you.”

“Like I said, you’re welcome,” Belle said with a grin, her eyes lighting up as the music overhead was replaced by several guitar chords. “Should we head to the dance floor and check them out? The bass player seems cute.”

With a nod the pair made their way towards the stage, joining the gathering crowd that all wanted action. A long haired guy stood in the middle, idly strumming his guitar as he leant into the microphone. A moment later he had introduced the band, presumably anyway as Leigh’s Italian was less than desirable, and well known chords filtered out. Leigh bopped her head along to the tune until she felt Belle bump a hip into her. The brunette winked and downing the rest of her drink Leigh discarded the glass before joining her friend in a dance.

As the next song started Leigh let out a laugh, giving Cecil the thumbs up as he appeared nearby them. It amused her more than it usually would that a seventy something year old drunk man was shaking it on the dance floor, but boy was he good. It seemed dancing was something that ran in the family as she felt another bump to her side to find that Tom had slipped in next to her and Belle. She had heard rumours that he could move well and was pleased to see them confirmed, taking a moment to pause and watch him. This seemed to be the wrong thing to do however and a moment later he had grabbed her hand and spun her around. She let out a squeal as he dipped her low, laughing at herself once she was back on her feet and released.

Moving her body to show that she was, in fact, dancing and didn’t need another surprise attack she took a moment to look around. It was then she realized that everyone was here. John and Belinda were wrapped around each other, Diana and Eva were trying to match Cecil, and Caleb seemed to have found his girl for the night a little way off. Despite it not being her family Leigh couldn’t help but feel that she belonged in that moment with these people. All of a sudden she realized that was her problem; she was on the opposite side of the world without the friends she knew best, no family, and no more boyfriend. Add into the mixture that she didn’t feel at home in her apartment and she became conscious of the feeling that she had nowhere to belong to. And then in the span of one day this family had embraced her as one of their own and given her a place.

The realization made her feel like she was floating above the ground, and as the opening of a song she least expected to here in a place like this brought her out of her stupor she was literally bouncing up and down. Both Belle and Tom had turned their attention to her, but she was unable to wipe the crazy grin from her face.

I know
I never make this easy.
It's easier to disappear.

You said,
Give me some,
A thing that I can go on.
Together, yeah anywhere but here.


“I’m presuming you know this song?” Tom called over the music as she sang along loudly and she nodded her head, grabbing both his and Belle’s hands.

“This song is amazing; it’s originally from a Canadian band,” she explained, releasing them as the chorus hit and flinging herself around.

And I'm begging you,
Bring me back to life,
I just can't stand leaving you alone tonight.
It's too late to go,
Already taken me forever just to try to know.
One for the money, two for the show,
Three to get ready, and four to go.
For the life of me,
I don't know why it took me so long to see.

I just
Stutter, Stutter, Stutter,
Di-di-di-di-di-did I?
Stutter, Stutter, Stutter,
Di-di-di-di-di-di-did I?
Stutter, Stutter, Stutter,
Di-di-di-di-di-did I?
Stutter, Stutter, Stutter,
Di-di-di-di-di-di-did I?


Having seen her enthusiasm Cecil had fought his way through the crowd to her and she laughed as he burst into his own moves. Leaning in she whispered something in his ear and he nodded, taking her hands. Falling into the swing beat Leigh put to use the classes she had taken back home, only mildly aware of the circle that had cleared around them. It wasn’t until the song had drawn to a close and there was a series of cat calls that she realized, blushing as Cecil placed a kiss on her cheek and the crowd fell back together.

“Belle darling, you never told me your friend had an impressive set of feet on her,” Tom chided as they closed back in and the brunette blinked, closing her gaping mouth.

“That’d be because I had no idea. I’d say you have been keeping secrets, but then again the opportunity at work never arose,” she replied and Leigh poked her tongue out at her friend.

“Well, I believe I’ll have to request a dance at some point on this trip,” he insisted and the redhead once again found herself blushing, nodding her head before suggesting the shots that she had promised.
♠ ♠ ♠
The song used is Stutter, by Marianas Trench and can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxtfsX722Yk I was listening to it as I gathered the idea for the chapter, so I thought why not. It's not the best chapter of the fic, but I hope it's still entertaining.