Why Klaus?

Chapter 2

Of course I didn’t really disappear, I had a ring on that enabled me to have vampire speed. Klaus’s face was priceless when I jumped on top of the club. He looked quite shocked, with his mouth hanging open and everything. I laughed as I leaped across the tops of buildings. It felt so good to one up him after what he had done to me. Of course, I had almost died, but that came with the job.
After what Klaus did, trying to turn me after I slept with him, I made it my mission to help innocent people caught up in vampire politics. Klaus had almost certainly forgotten about the girl lying in the alley, and she would wake up with no recollection of what had happened. He had been intending to kill her, for no reason but for her blood.
It is a vampire’s nature, of course, to drink blood, but they can be moral about it. Blood bags and small sips from willing humans. Although, a couple hundred years can desensitize a vampire’s compassion, especially the ones like Klaus.
I was the only person I knew who rescued humans from vampire’s bloodlust. Several people had let me know it was a suicide mission, that if I made just one slip, I could die. But I believed that it was well worth the risk. Every person I saved was one more wife, husband, sister, brother, or parent that could still come home to their families.
My thoughts turned back to Klaus, and how I met him a few years ago.
“Hurry Savannah!” Ristu tugged on my arm as we neared the gates. “It has almost started!” I hung back, wearily staring at the huge mansion. “I’m not sure this is such a good idea…” Ristu just looked at me. “Are you daft?” She questioned, “The whole town has been talking about this hottie and his gorgeous body, he finally throws a ball and I get us on the guest list through a particularly drastic bit of persuasion, and you are telling me this is not a good idea?” I looked up, not wanting to know what her “persuasion” had entailed, and sighed. “I just don’t want to get caught.” Ristu rolled her eyes, saying “Look, we will go in, dance a bit, moon after Mr. rich hottie, and go home.”
I knew that this was a bad idea, and that it would not go according to plan, but I had yet to find out how far away from her plan the night would actually go.
“Okay, I guess we can go in for a bit…” I told her. I did want to see this particular bit of man-candy that had the whole town talking about him.
She promptly dragged me to the gate and towards the double doors guarded by two footmen. She said, “Countess Savannah and Ristu.” She added needlessly “We are here for the ball.” I held my breath, fingers crossed, but Ristu’s insider had kept his promise, and we were on the list. They both grunted and waved us in. I let out a sigh in relief. The countess part was complete bullshit, and me and Ristu laughed when we got far enough away from them. “Wow, we must really look like ladies, countesses nonetheless!” We both were cracking up. We quickly sombered up though, when we saw the great hall. “Wow…” Ristu said. I added, “Holy shit.” It was huge, the dance floor taking up about half of the room, with the other half being occupied with tables and chairs. Everyone was dressed in extremely formal suits and gowns. On the dance floor the people were wheeling and twirling around to the stately music being provided by a string quartet.
“Well,” Ristu remarked, “Are you ready?” I took another deep breath, and replied, “Lets do this.”
We took each other’s hands and walked down the staircase to the main floor. We avoided the dancers as I led Ristu to the table with drinks. We were both underage, but we took champagne anyway. I lifted my glass in a toast, “To many years of mischief making to come!” We giggled and our glasses clinked. I decided to sit down with my drink and see if I could find this famous man. As I sipped my nice bubbly beverage, I saw Ristu disappear into the dancers. “Oh well,” I muttered to myself. “I’ll just sit here all alone.”
As I said this, I felt a presence come up behind me. “Oh no, a lady must not sit by herself!” The presence insisted. I looked up, and gasped.
There was the most attractive man I had ever seen. He had beautifully sculpted musculature and a glorious five o’clock shadow. His dark blonde hair swept gracefully into his eyes and he carried himself with such purpose. His eyes were a delicious blue-green and so expressive. His lips were plump… and moving.
“What, I'm sorry, I must have zoned out.” I was blushing with embarrassment. His lips turned up at the corners and his eyes laughed. He repeated, “Would you do me the honor of dancing with me?” I stammered out “Of c-c-course!”
He smiled, and I almost swooned. He led me smoothly out onto the dance floor as canon in D started playing. We wheeled around the other couples as he led the waltz. He was such a graceful dancer. He prompted, “Well, could I have the privilege of knowing the name of this beautiful lady I am dancing with?” I responded, “Savannah.”
“That’s a beautiful name.” I smiled, inclining my head in thanks. “I am Nicklaus.” I said, “It’s a pleasure to meet you.” “Likewise.”
The dance ended and I regretfully disentangled myself from Nicklaus’s arms. “It has been a pleasure making your acquaintance Miss Savannah.” I beamed. He bent down and pressed his lips to my hand. “We shall have to get to know each other better some time in the near future.” I replied, “I look forward to it.” He bowed and walked away. I gazed after him for a few more seconds, then shook my head and returned to my seat. Ristu was already seated and when she saw me she gasped. “You lucky girl!” I gave her a confused look, and she added, “Do you have any idea who you were dancing with?” I said “Nicklaus.” She looked at me like I was stupid. “That was the hottie we came here to see!” I felt stupid now. “Ooooooh…”
“Yeah.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Heey! please comment and let me know how I am doing!!