Status: In progress.

Why Do You Make Things So Complicated?

Chapter three

On opening my eyes, I was dazzled by the bright light. Damn those white lights. I looked around me. White walls, white beds, white floor tiles. Almost everything was white, and it scared me. I looked around me. The walls were bare, and it made the room seem empty. Well, it was void of style and creativity anyways. I saw a nurse, who was a few feet away from me, checking someone's state of health, who was sitting down on a bed. "You're free to go," she smiled.
Wait. A nurse. A patient. Creepy hospital beds.
Why was I hospitalized? I didn't break any bones, or got beaten, or fell down the stairs, or fell-
Oh. I just remembered falling down the stairs.
~ ~
"Hey, I need your opinion on something," Mom looked at me and trailed off, wondering whether or not she had my attention.
I sat up on my bed and checked my phone. No unread messages. No missed calls. Nice. "What's the matter?" I asked her, wondering what it might be.
"Come with me," she said and motioned for me to follow her. We walked into her room. I sat down on her bed with Max in my lap. She opened the closet and took out two dresses. "Which one is better?" she asked me.
I shrugged. Rarely ever did I wear formal clothes, let alone dresses! They're so freaking uncomfortable that I despise them. "I don't know, Mom..." I said. "It depends. Why?"
Mom placed the dresses on her bed and sat down next to me. "After your friend Lewis called you and suggested your going to the cinema, that new guy at work called me," she started. A big smile appeared on her face.
"That's awesome!" I smiled at her. "Lewis and I decided to watch that new horror movie, by the way. So...do you like that guy?" I asked Mom.
Mom shrugged. "Well, he's really kind and sweet..." she trailed off. She was still smiling.
"You're sooo lovestruck, Mom," I teased her. "Is he handsome?"
"Oh, don't tease me!" she giggled and punched me playfully.
"Okay, okay," I laughed and held up my hands in surrender. "So, where is he going to take you?"
She was going through her jeans and T-shirts, but, in the end, she sighed and turned around to face me. "He suggested going out for dinner at a fancy restaurant, and I said yes." she told me. "He's going to pick me up in an hour or so..."
"So, you should start getting ready," I said. "Going to walk out so as you can get ready." I stood up and started walking towards the door.
"No!" said Mom. "You have to help me, Emily, I don't know what to wear!" she said, her voice full of panic. "What to wear?" Her smiling expression was replaced by a worried one. Oh God. Is she really panicking?
"You're acting like a teenage girl with a massive crush, Mom," I giggled as I sat down on her bed. Max barked. "See? Max agrees with me," I joked. "Show me your options."
"I like this one," Mom started, ignoring my comment, and held up a black dress. "Do you like it?"
I opened my mouth to speak, but before I could do so, she held up another dress. "Is that better?" It was a dark red dress.
I shrugged. "I don't know, to tell you the truth...I never was the one to wear dresses and formal clothes...but I think that the red one is better than the black one." I said. "The black one is too plaid for a date, and-"
"It's not a date!" Mom said, and then burst out laughing. "I am nervous...I haven't been asked out since you were...seven or so!"
I laughed. "Well, I can't do anything about it," I shrugged. "You can borrow my high heels, if you want to," I offered. Yeah, believe it or not, I actually own a pair of high heels.
Mom nodded. "Why not? They match with the dress. Thanks," she smiled and motioned for me to walk out of the room so as she could get ready.
As I walked out of her room, the doorbell rang. "It must be Lewis, Mom!" I said. "I'm leaving. Have fun with your futuristic boyfriend," I teased. I looked at myself in the mirror. I was dressed in black skinny jeans, an old band T-shirt, which belonged to Mom, a leather jacket, and my blood red Converse sneakers, which I usually wore. I looked fine. At least I looked presentable.
"Coming!!" I yelled, hoping that Lewis heard me. I ran to my room, grabbed my bag, and started running downstairs. I didn't want my friend to wait for me. I never liked it when people waited for me. And, as I said before, I fell down the stairs.
The last thing I heard before I screamed for help was Lewis, who called my mom for help. Then everything blacked out.
~~
"At last you woke up! We were so fucking worried!"
I turned around to find out who was talking to me. It turned out to be Mom. I couldn't stand the pain. I was fine, though. "I'm fine, I guess..." I said. "Is Lewis here?"
"The visiting hours are over," Mom frowned. "Don't worry, though. Lewis, Yvonne and Andy said that they're going to come at our place, since you're going to be discharged tomorrow morning."
I smiled. Oh, even smiling hurt an awful lot. "That's nice..."
Mom smiled back at me as she held my pale hand in hers. "Thank God, you weren't seriously injured or anything," she told me and breathed a sigh of relief.
"I'm going to buy a cup of coffee," Mom spoke a few minutes later. "Do you want me to get one for you too?"
I shook my head. I like coffee, I really like coffee, but I was in such a bad mood, and so bored that I didn't really want to eat or drink anything. "No, I'm fine," I reassured Mom.
"They said they're going to bring in a new patient," she went on talking and pointed at the hospital bed which was a few feet away from that in which I was laying. "So I'm not going to come back for a while, since I don't want to cause noise or anything and disturb them. Is that alright with you?"
I nodded. "Of course," I said and smiled at her, showing her that I didn't mind.
She kissed my cheek and started walking towards the door. My eye caught a book on the nightstand next to the bed, so I picked it up and decided to read it, because I didn't have anything better to do. As I was about to finish the third page, the door opened. They were probably going to bring in that patient Mom was talking about. I continued reading the book, even though it wasn't very interesting. I wanted to see how that patient looked like. I know, I can be really curious at times. Well, I just wanted to look at him! If I did, though, they probably would look weirdly at me, and I didn't want the doctors to pay attention to me. It really sucks when you're the center of attention...unless you're one of those people who would do everything within their power to draw attention to theirselves.
When the doctors finally walked out of the room, I turned around and took a look at the patient. It turned out to be a guy. He seemed to be young, around seventeen or so. I could also tell that he seemed to be tall, and really thin. He was really pale, almost as pale as the white bed sheets, and his longish, raven black hair stood out. For some reason, even though he had lots of injuries, numerous cuts and bruises, and a broken leg, he looked beautiful. He looked so beautiful that I could just sit there and stare at him for...well, I don't know how long. His face was full of cuts and bruises, but I recognized him from somewhere. I didn't know from where, I just did.
He was so familiar. But, after half an hour or so of thinking, I still couldn't figure out where I had seen that guy. I was racking my brains, but still...no answer to my question. Where had I seen that guy?
The beautiful boy came round after a long, long time. He struggled to open his eyes, but was dazzled by the bright, white light, just like me. I repeat, damn that annoying light. He took a look around him, and his gaze fell on me. I quickly looked away and pretended to read the book I had started reading before. I could feel myself blushing fiercely, and prayed to God that he didn't see me blushing. No need to embarrass myself in front of a stranger. A familiar stranger.
A beautiful stranger. Oh, brain, didn't you shut up already?!
Two panicked, really worried men barged into the room and ran to the bed where the beautiful guy was laying. A few seconds later, a doctor walked in as well and checked his state of health. I felt really sorry for the boy. He was screaming in pain every time someone touched him, and when he would try to move or sit up, his screams were so loud that I tried really hard not to be rude and cover my ears with my hands. I was in pain as well, but I couldn't be compared to him. He was in so much pain that, if I could, I would take all the pain away and relieve his pained body.
I went on -or better, pretended- reading the book, but what I really did was hear them talking and steal a glance every now and then. I know, curiosity killed the cat. But...well, I was bored to death. What was I supposed to do?
Apparently, the boy wanted to be left alone for a while. I could see that he didn't talk to the men who had barged into the room earlier. Those turned out to be his father and older brother, by the way. Twenty minutes and millions of death glares later, they walked out of the room, and the guy was left alone.
All I wanted at that moment was to meet him.
He looked towards my direction. At the same time, without knowing that he was looking at that direction, I turned around to look at him. We locked eyes. I could sit there and look into this beautiful, breathtaking pair of light gray eyes forever.
Oh. That's the guy from the park. I didn't expect to have such luck. Wow.
"Thank you," I spoke and smiled at him. "I mean, thank you for helping me out the other week. I don't know what I would do if you weren't there."
I expected him to speak a word, or at least nod or show me that he paid attention to what I said. He didn't even nod or looked at me again. He turned around and, for some reason, staring at the boring door which provided no entertainment seemed to entertain him a lot. Come on now, the door wasn't even fascinating! Oh...I guess that the door is more interesting that me, then...
He was really rude. I mean, you don't just ignore someone who just thanked you and was kind to you! And believe me, I can get really angry when I am polite to other people, talk to them, and then they just ignore me, as if I am invisible. What the hell? Sure, people don't notice me...but they don't ignore me like that. I know that I am not invisible.
"Why?" I asked him. "It really annoys me when I am good to people and they ignore me, you know!" I said, trying not to raise my voice. The last thing I wanted was to pick up a fight with the guy that I wanted so bad to meet...but he turned out to be an ignorant, careless jerk, just like the majority of boys. Ha. I knew that he would turn out to be like them.
Even though he's an idiot, I still can say that there's something special about him. I can see hurt and pain written all over his face. When he looks at you, you can easily understand that there's something wrong with him. I want to make this pain go away.
Why do I even care about him?
"It really infuriates me when people keep talking to me as if I am there to hear them talking about random things that I am not interested in hearing." he retorted. Whoa. At last, he spoke. Unlike his words, his voice was low and soft. His words hurt.
"What the hell?!" I yelled at him.
He turned around to look at me. I could tell that all he wanted was to make the pain go away, but he tried to look as calm as possible. He reminds me of those people who always wear an expression which reminds you of masks. What I want to say is that they look calm and don't express any emotion whatsoever because they're afraid of doing so. I guess that he's one of those people as well.
He turned around to look at me. "What the hell?!" he mocked me. "Seriously," he started, getting more and more angry as time went by, "why do you keep talking to me? It's obvious that I just don't want to talk to you! So why don't you stop talking and leave me alone?"
"All I did was to thank you, you idiot!" I shouted at him, getting more and more furious with every word I spoke. "I don't think that my words bothered you! I wasn't bad to you and didn't insult you or anything!"
He groaned. "When are you going to shut up?! I've only known you for...what? five minutes? And I can't put up with you, not anymore."
"Would you stop being so stubborn and talk to someone for once?" I yelled.
"Would you stop annoying me so much?!"
"Would you stop being such a jerk to me?!"
"Would you stop infuriating me and leave me the fuck alone?!"
"Fuck off," I sighed as I picked up the book from the nightstand, where I had left it earlier. "You're not worthy of my attention anyways."
"I never, ever let stupid people like you tell me to fuck off!" he shouted at me. "So please do me a favour and shut up."
"Stop being so annoying," I sighed.
"You're the annoying one," he retorted. "You're the one who annoys the living hell out of me, then claims that I'm the annoying one!"
"Stop behaving like an immature kid! Even a four year old kid knows how to behave better than you! You're so freaking ill-mannered!" I screamed.
"What?!" he laughed. "It's you who started talking, then yelled for no fucking reason at me and-"
"I am not yelling for no fucking reason!" I yelled and pointed an accusing finger at him. "I'm yelling because you're infuriating me!"
"-and then went on being annoying!" he finished his sentence and sent me another death glare.
I flipped him off. "I repeat, fuck off." Then I went on reading the book.