Home

'68

"How'd you get so tall?" I gaped at him. In only two years, he must have shot up six inches. He laughed and pulled me to his side.

"I'm a growing boy, what can I say?" he threw his arm over my shoulder and I led him back to the taxi. Both of our mothers agreed he could stay in one of our spare rooms until his school started up in the fall. That only meant two months with Phillip, but I was determined to make the best of it. It was a pretty easy summer; we'd walk around the city, have a listen at new music, or just read in the park. Sometimes, when it was really hot, we'd go to the pool. I didn't especially like the pool, since whenever I put my bathing suit on, Phillip would stare at me. It embarrassed me at first, but then I got annoyed. What was he looking at? I knew I wasn't as pretty as other girls- he didn't have to make a big deal of it.

"I don't know," he replied after I chewed him out on it one day. "I guess I still see you as the thirteen year old I first met. It's hard to think of you as all grown up now." Then he shrugged, and playfully whipped me with his rolled up towel and kept walking. But I couldn't concentrate the rest of the way to the pool. I kept thinking of how we grew up. I didn't think I was terribly different from five years ago, but Phillip definitely was. He wasn't the scrawny little boy with a proper haircut anymore. He'd grown taller and put on some muscle. Even his face looked different- more mature. Young adulthood looked good on Phillip, but I couldn't tell him that. Because that's not something you tell your best friend. Especially not when he's a boy.
♠ ♠ ♠
aaaaaw young love lnakjsdlkqw;s;;4

THANK YOU FOR READING