Status: Shorter Chapters, ReDoing WIP

Rightful Ruler

The Rules of Marriage in Royalty

Baylee glanced out the window, "I don't recognize this part of the forest. Where are we?"

"We are being forced to travel the longer route to the resistance base so that Demitri cannot follow us." Benjamin muttered quietly. The carriage came to a stop after some time, "Stay here, Princess." Benjamin muttered, climbing out of the cabin. Kallie opened her mouth to speak, her arm outstretched, but she thought better and placed her hands in her lap. "Ravin!" At this Jasper jumped out.

"Well, that is quite a battle wound." Jasper stated, a smirk evident in his voice.

"Shut your mouth, Hugo." Benjamin muttered, "Do something worth while, fetch Bartrom." At this, Kallie and Baylee exchanged glances both scooting to get out. Kallie was much slower than Baylee, who slowed to help her.

As she stepped out, the first thing Kallie's eyes fell upon was the color red. Ravin's clothes had began to stain crimson where an arrow stabbed into his side. The wound seemed shallow, but it was bleeding badly. Kallie extended a shaky hand as Ravin glanced back at her.

"Ensure that she receives medicinal care." He ordered Benjamin as Bartrom ran out of the slightly askew door. The young man nodded, turning to Kallie.

"Come, princess." Kallie let out a groan as Ben scooped her into his arms. Benjamin rushed forward, into the base, as Helga stepped into the foyer.

"What is it?" She looked over Kallie, "Poor child...take her to the lavatory, and assemble the women who have medicinal training. Send two to attend to the Princess, send one to aide me." She ordered. Ben nodded, carrying her through the sitting room as Bartrom rushed into the door, Ravin's arm draped over his neck as he hobbled in beside him. "Injured I see, Ravin. Into the sitting area with him."

Ben carried her into the lavatory and sat her on a stool within the room. He brushed her hair out of her face, "I will bring you relief." He promised, taking her hand in his and kissing her knuckles.

Baylee entered with Jasper, standing there awkwardly. "Baylee, why don't you assist the women with Kallie."

"Ravin–"

"You will only get in my way." She barked. Baylee nodded, rushing in after the women that Ben assembled.

A woman Baylee hadn't met yet turned to her, "Fetch me a large bowl of water and a clean rag." Baylee nodded, hurrying the best she could without spilling any. When she returned, the other two women were helping Kallie strip off her dress-like slip. "Hurry." She waved her forward with a caramel colored hand. Baylee complied, handing her the bowl with a pained look on her face.

As they pulled off her slip, her carved back was dirty and the cuts were caked in dried blood with red inflammation around the edges. Some of them were beginning to heal, but most of them weren't. She couldn't tell where any of her bruises were. They blended in with the dirt, making it impossible to tell. As Baylee's eyes traveled across her body, the torture evident injuries were clearer than ever. Baylee bit her lip as the woman with caramel skin wiped her back with the rag, removing the filth and allowing some light blood to flow. A wave of nausea hit as Kallie let out a whimper of pain. Baylee stepped out, leaning against the wall next to the door frame.

"How badly..." She glanced over. Ben's eyes were glued to the floor as he leaned against the wall on the other side.

"I...very." Baylee groaned disdainfully. Both of them winced as Kallie let out another small cry of pain.

The rest of the hour passed much like that. Both of them winced or shifted rigidly when any sound of pain left the petite young woman's lips. Eventually, Helga wondered in, telling her that Ravin was well. She stayed in, overseeing Kallie's treatment. Baylee didn't dare look in once for the fear that the nausea would return at the sight of her wounds. She could tell though, that it was eating away at Benjamin to look in and check on her. She knew that he wanted to respect her privacy, but his worry for her conflicted that. A fresh pang of guilt slapped Baylee. This was her fault...

After the hour, Helga walked out. "Her wounds are treated and healing. Benjamin, fetch the princess a freshly laundered nightgown." Ben nodded, leaving. "Baylee, I will need your assistance getting her in it, then into bed." Baylee nodded. She entered, glancing at her friend. All of her cuts were clean and no longer inflamed. All of her bruises were clearer than ever without the dirt that covered them before. And, for the first time, she noticed that she could see the very faint outline of her ribs that told her that Kallie had lost weight. She was right... Even after everything else, Kallie had been starved.

Helga walked in with a crisp, ivory colored nightgown and clean undergarments. "Now." She nodded to Baylee, who braced her friend as they dressed her. She bit her lip and winced at every gasp of pain that Kallie happened to release. "Benjamin," Ben poked his head in, "Move Kallie to her quarters."

Ben nodded, striding into the room in a few lithe movements. For the first time, Baylee noticed the wiry muscle beneath his tunic flex as he lifted the Princess into his arms. She pursed her lips as she studied the soft dusting of red across his cheeks as Kallie leaned her head against his chest. His hazel eyes stared directly ahead, a determined glaze in them. This boy was absolutely, head-over-heels in love with her. Baylee's jaw dropped as he exited the room.

She followed him as he entered Kallie's quarters and placed her on her bed gingerly, making sure that he took extra care to ensure her comfort. A giddy feeling pumped through Baylee, overriding the guilt for a few brief moments. She'd always felt horribly, believing that Kallie got the shorter end of the stick during circumstance, but not this time. Kallie was just as blessed as Baylee was. She had a man who cared just as deeply for her as Baylee cared for Jasper.

Kallie's eyes drooped to a complete close as Ben stroked her hair and cheek, saying, "Rest..." When he was sure that she was in deep enough slumber that he could leave, he stood and exited her room. As he turned to walk down the hall, he came face-to-face with a very smug Baylee.

"I've had suspicions for sometime now, but today only proved them."

"What are you gabbing on about?" Benjamin mutter, relief evident in his voice.

"Well," Baylee gave him a cheeky smile, "I'm gabbing about how you have developed romantic feelings for our dear princess." Benjamin said nothing, he simply continued walking. "I am right, aren't I!?"

"I haven't a clue what you're talking about." He muttered.

Baylee's jaw dropped in disbelief, "How could you deny her like that!?" Hurt radiated through her voice. She grabbed his arm, forcing him to stop.

"Obviously, you have forgotten the rules of romance for one of the royal family. It is only allowed between royalty. No one below nobility, and unfortunately I rank below that, so it doesn't matter whether or not I feel something for the Princess." Benjamin stated, "It is against the laws of the land."

"Says who!?" Baylee scoffed.

"It is in the 'Requirements of Marriage'." He stated. "I'm sure Kallie has a copy of the laws of royalty. Read them sometime." He muttered, pulling away. "Maybe then, you will understand why I 'denied' her." He walked away from her.

That night Baylee sat up, her mind thinking over what Benjamin had told her. She sat with her knees tucked into her chest and her eyes on the floor. Was it really so different for one of the royal family? What differed between them and any other person!? Oh, that's right, they had to rule over the country. If Kallie took the throne would she really be forced to wed a nobleman? Or a prince? Was there even a book that contained the laws of royalty? She considered asking another member of the resistance, but she feared that they would laugh at her.

The woman with caramel colored skin sat beside her, sewing and repairing clothing. Her dark brown-black curls were half pulled out of her face to reveal a pair of blue-hazel eyes. Her thin lips were spread into a smile as she focused on stitching the fabric in front of her. Baylee couldn't help but watch her. She hadn't seen this woman before now, and she would remember her face. It was much too exotically pretty to forget.

"Your name is Baylee, is it not?" the woman glanced at her. Baylee nodded slowly, "Why don't you ask me the questions that you have been harboring?"

"I-I...Who are you? Why haven't I seen you before? Where did you recieve medicinal–"

"I see that once you opened your mouth, you spill a well." She gave her a smile.

"My name is Zanna; I am from the northern region of the country. I migrated south with my people, and I found myself in Concordia about four years ago, just before Old man Alabaster passed."

"Well, Zanna, I haven't seen you here at the base before..." Baylee muttered.

"I am sure you know how the social classes work. When I arrived in Concordia, I was on the streets, no better than a lowly beggar. Not that I was much before we migrated...knowing who you are, I have no doubt that you have plenty of experience with the king. When he was just a prince, he convinced himself that I was a prostitute. It was a miracle that it fell through in court, but when I was accused of witchcraft, I was sure that I would hang. Demitri did everything in his power to see that I was. One of Alabaster's only flaws was that he let him run rampant...The young princess was forced to take matters into her own hands, and I owe her my life for it.

"When she convinced her father to pardon me, I was forced into hiding for four years following that. I had heard rumors of a resistance that started not long after Demitri took the crown. I, among many others, had hoped that the princess would have been of age to take the crown. She was our hope, but that hope died. Until yesterday, I had long tried to seek out this base, and I finally found a member of the resistance and they led me here. It was just in time too because my services were definitely needed."

The exotic woman's gaze settled on Baylee's face, "What else would you like to know."

"Medicinal training...How? When? Where?" She mumbled.

"My mother and father owned an apothecary, and my mother was a battlefield medic in her youth. Therefore, I recieved training as a young child, and I was a healer in my tribe from the north." She answered, returning back to the fabric in her hands.

"You seemed very...eager to help K—the princess." Baylee said.

"She saved my life," Zanna sighed, "many times over...Demitri was hell bent on my hanging. I'm sure the boy has forgotten about me now, but if it weren't for the princess, I wouldn't be here now." She smiled fondly as she delicately continued to sew the fabric in front of her. "There! Now Ravin's garments are no longer torn." She chimed softly. Baylee nodded, biting her lip. "What else is troubling you, child?"

"Is there really a book with the laws of royalty in them?" Baylee muttered meekly.

"Yes, or at least, I am rather sure of it. Why?" She muttered.

"I was just...I was just curious, that's all." Baylee sighed. So there was a book... Ben was right. Since when hasn't he been... Baylee stood, "It was nice talking to you. Thank you for helping Kallie, it's nice to see her resting for once."

"No problem." She muttered.

Baylee was set. She was going to find that book, and she was going to read it. If anything, she was going to prove Ben wrong. So she walked back to Kallie's room, poking her head in first to assure that she was asleep. She was. Baylee stepped through the door, leaving it cracked behind her. She walked over to her bookshelf.

"Where would Kallie keep it..." She whispered to herself. Her eyes strained to read the labels on the many worn spines. Without light, it was very hard. The only aid she had was the dim moonlight that filtered through the window. She searched the shelf until she came across a thick, dusty volume. "This couldn't be..." She quietly slid the book off of the shelf. The cover was so worn, she couldn't make out any label on the front. The book had some heft to it as well...

She took it into the moonlight and opened it. Inside were the words: The Laws & Decrees of Concordia. This must be it... She flipped the page quietly to look at the index, which she could barely see. So, she closed the book again and ambled into the sitting room that was now empty. Baylee sat in the sitting room, staring at the cover of the book. It was a worn, thick, and dusty. Did Kallie actually read all of this!? Well, either way, Baylee didn't need to read the entire book, just the part about marriages.

Baylee flipped the pages until she found the section on the rules of royal marriage. She read the passage out loud to herself.

"A woman must marry nobility; there is no exception. Upon their death, their husband must be able to rule, and he cannot unless he is of noble blood. The reigning Queen must marry a man of high standing to keep the throne, otherwise, they maybe challenged for the title of sovereign ruler. If she does not marry, by her next birthday, any member of the royal family that would otherwise be next in line can challenge her to the rights of the throne.
If said female ruler is caught fraternizing with any male that is not of noble blood, she may be removed from the throne, severing any rights to it. Being caught is grounds for treason and can be taken as such, possibly resulting in execution.
A man may marry any woman—noble or otherwise—they will simply become Queen Consort, and they cannot rule in the occasion of the death of the King.
Upon the death of a male ruler, if the female is not of noble blood, the title of sovereign ruler will pass to the next in line if there is not a person that the throne has been willed to. The same rules apply to a King. He may be challenged for the title of sovereign ruler if he does not marry."

"What!?" Baylee shut the book with a little more force than necessary. "That isn't fair!"

"No, it isn't." Kallie's voice floated across the room as she leaned against the door frame.

"This is why you and Ben deny each other?"

"Yes—well, I don't know if he denies me—or even feels the same for me, but that is why I deny him—or why I must deny him." She stated, stumbling into the room and sitting beside Baylee.

"Well...Can you not abolish these rules when you become queen?" Baylee said, her brow creasing in frustration.

"No. They were set my the forefather's, so they cannot be undone." She stated. "Trust me; many kings and queens of the past have tried, but they were thwarted."

"That's horrible." Baylee muttered.

"That's how it is, Baylee." Kallie stated sagely. "I know you tend to have a harder time accepting it, but you'll come to be used to it in time."

"Is that why Demitri chose me? I'm a duchess?" Baylee's voice dropped to a near whisper.

"One of many."

"Why else would be choose me?"

"You are my closest friend, and he enjoys my suffering." Kallie muttered, "There is every chance that he finds you physically attractive, but whether he is attracted to you I do not know. Otherwise, his intentions are unclear."

"He doesn't find me attractive..." Baylee muttered, seemingly certain.

"I believe he does." Baylee started to combat her statement, "My brother is one to enjoy material things. He only wants the finest things, therefore, my friend or not, he wouldn't have chosen you if he considered you physically unattractive. He would have found another."

"Kallie, you should really be in bed." Baylee stated, looking at her friend.

"Baylee, I am fine." Kallie sighed, refusing to lean against the seat.

"I agree with Baylee, Princess." Benjamin muttered. Baylee nodded in approval. Kallie glanced at them both, sighing as she stood.

"Fine." She muttered tersely.

Benjamin supported her as they walked back down the narrow halls, "You need your rest, princess–"

"Are we no longer on a first name basis, Ben?" She gave him a gentle and playful smile.

"You need your rest, Kallie." He muttered caustically.

"Ben—I will be fine." Kallie argued, standing adamantly in her door frame.

"I agree," Benjamin muttered urging her back, "You will be fine, after you get your rest. Now lie down." Kallie crossed her arms and stood steadfast. She gasped as he gently scooped her into his arms, "Enough. Stop being so stubborn. You are going to allow us to care for you, and you are going to stop this hard headed stubbornness. If I have to wake Ravin-"

"No!" Kallie scolded.

"-If I must, I will." He gently placed her on her bed, lying her on her back gingerly. "I know I am probably being highly bothersome right now, but you won't heal without rest. You can rest easily here; you have nothing to fear." He muttered soothingly.

Her lilac eyes watched his back as he turned from her. Her heart hummed through the pain when he'd carried her to her bed. His hands left tingling trails when they had left her body. Why did she have to feel this way for him? She didn't know of his origins because she couldn't remember. Neither could he...so could there be a chance that he was of noble blood? No...that was just a fool's dream, and Kallie knew it.

When he closed her door, she let out a sigh. Her eyes drooped, maybe she was tired. She was always forced to be strong, so what should it matter? This was different wasn't it? This wasn't caving to weakness...no, she was just resting. She would be alright in the morning. Yes, the pain would still be there, but she would be fine. She had lived through worse.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shorter chapter. I needed to fix the summary and I did that last night. Mibba just wouldn't allow me to update because it went wonky last night.
Hope you enjoy Desi.
*UPDATE 12/10/13* I edited the conversation between Baylee and Zanna. I didn't like how it turned out. It was choppy and sort of nonsensical, so I made it better.