Sequel: Speak Now
Status: Active

Superstar

Chapter 22

I dropped my phone, in shock but quickly retrieved it from the floor. I didn't tell anyone where I was going but I ran up the stairs and out of the arena.

What is this, grandpa wasn't sick. The last time we saw him he was doing great and was the same grandpa I always saw…energetic and happy. How can something change so quickly? I drove to the hospital as fast as I could.

"Lexie Crawford, my grandpas here and I need to see him ASAP", I said frantically to the front desk supervisor at the hospital. I was out of breath from running into the hospital. She nodded understandingly and pointed me in the direction of the room he was in, 288.

"Are you Lexie", a nurse asked me as I approached room 288, I quickly nodded and she gave me a sympathetic smile and let me in.

The man laying in the hospital bed was barely recognizable. I felt tears quickly slip from my eyes as I wiped them away. Soon they were falling uncontrollably.

I barely heard the door open.

"Lex", I heard my brothers voice whisper. I turned around and hugged him as tightly as I could, crying into his shoulder. "It isn't supposed to happen like this, today was supposed to be the happiest day of your life", I cried into his shoulder. He didn't respond, just patted my back.

"Everyones on their way here. They saw you run out and we all got worried and I thought Kaner did something but I checked my phone and had the call from Gram and I knew something was wrong", Corey whispered.

"It's killing me to see him like this, wasting away to nothing. He's the strongest person I know", I mumbled, barely audible through my tears.

Soon I heard the door open again, but neither me nor Cor bothered to look who it was.

"You're Lexie and Corey correct", the doctor asked quietly. I looked up from my brothers shirt, now soaked from my tears and nodded.

"He was talking about you two, he said he wouldn't leave until he saw the both of you. You know, he's only hanging on for you", the doctor said.

I let go of my brother and climbed up in his bed.

I let a few more tears spill before I found my voice to start talking.

"You can let go now Gramps…..youre little girl is ready to do this on her own. Its gonna be a little bit scary but I just want you to know, I'll be okay. I love you so much and I don't want to see you in any more pain. You can let go gramps", I said kissing his cheek as a tear fell from my face and landed on his.

Soon Corey joined me by the bed .

"You know gramps, we won tonight. I dedicated the game to you and gram. I wouldn't be who I am today without you and you're the best person I know. I love you so much and I don't know what Im gonna do without you but I'll take care of Lex and Gram, I promise. We don't want to see you in anymore pain, you can let go now gramps", Corey said, not hiding the fact that he was crying.

"I'm proud of the both of you", gramps whispered and before we both knew what to say he was gone.

"I can't believe he's gone", Corey whispered, pulling me into another hug.

We both let our tears fall freely, now knowing what to do at the very moment. Except wonder how things went from so unbelievably wonderful to horrible in just one day.

"Babies, they're gonna take him now", grandma said, I didn't even realize she was in the room. I nodded numbly as Corey picked me up off the bed. I ran to my grandma and gave her a hug.

"How are you", Corey asked grandma. "I'll be okay. He's in a better place soon and I'll see him again soon, he's happier now, at peace", Grandma said reassuringly, "I want the both of you to go celebrate tonight".

"Honestly gram I don't feel well. I think I'm gonna head home", I said.

"Oh Lex, how do you think Kaners going to feel about that? I'm sure he wants to celebrate with you", Grandma said, trying to persuade me. I smiled weakly at Grandma calling him by his nickname, "He'll survive".

Me and Corey walked into the hallway to give gram some alone time with gramps. The whole team and more was waiting in the waiting room.

"I'm so proud of you guys", I said weakly congratulating everyone.

"Are you okay lex", Abby asked rushing up to me. I hugged her tightly and fought back my tears. "Congrats Ab, I'm so happy for you two", I said ignoring her question. "Do you want me to come back to the apartment with you", she asked, knowing I was in no mood for partying tonight. I quickly shook my head no, "Its your night Ab, don't worry about me".

She made me promise her that I'd call if I needed anything and headed back to sit my Sharpie who was talking to my brother.

I felt arms wrap around my waist from behind, I turned around to see Patrick. "I'm so proud of you", I whispered into his shoulder, "really proud Pat", I said, trying hard not to cry.

"How are you", he asked, pulling out of the hug to look at me. "Not good", I said honestly. He nodded and hugged me tightly again, "lets go home".

It was my turn to pull away this time, wiping my eyes. "I'm going home, you're gonna go celebrate".

"Lex", he said trying to reason with me but I just shook my head. "Its your big night ok", I said putting my arms around his shoulders, "Go do your interviews and celebrate. I love you", I said kissing his lips softly and pulling away.

"I wanna be with you tonight", he argued but I ignored him and grabbed my purse. "Have fun tonight", I said giving him one last kiss on the cheek before going to tell my brother I was going home.

Patricks POV

Cheers and shouts erupted as we headed into one of the local bars in Boston that had a hawks flag outside.

"Lex is strong, shell be fine", Corey said nudging me as we walked inside. I nodded and accepted one of the beers someone was handing me. I was worried about Lex but I knew shed kill me if she knew I was worried about her all night. Knowing her, she's probably at home watching bridesmaids with a tub of ice cream.
♠ ♠ ♠
ohhhh drama drama drama lol