Status: We are what we are; don't need no excuses for the scars from our mothers, and we know what we know 'cause we're made of all the little bones of our fathers.

The Last Wolf

Chapter Twenty Two

Phoenix held Shadow’s palm gently while she massaged his extended fingerlike claws. Memories she dammed up inside the darkest parts of her mind flooded her senses. This happened once before when she preferred the thick black feathers of a reflective raven over her fiery nature. Shadow thought the world of her back then, and Phoenix loved the darkness that shrouded him.

“Are you alright?” Pretty Boy asked as he entered the room. His usual sun kissed features lacked color. He looked exactly as Phoenix remembered him when he arrived with his twin.

“No.” She whispered longing for Shadow to open his raging stormy eyes.

“Is he?” Macon crossed his arms as he stared at Shadow’s misshapen body. Shadow always prided himself on being practically invisible, but laying there—his chest heaved with the labor of breathing—he stood out like a sore thumb.

“Does it look like he’s okay,” Phoenix hissed. “Where’s his pet?” The last word dripped like poison from her lips.

“With Viper.”

“I don’t want her near him.” She tore her eyes away from Shadow long enough to glare at Macon.

“Hush!” White River entered the room with a bowl of water and a light beige colored cloth. “She is our guest, and this will affect her more than you know.” He passed the bowl to me. “Phoenix, take this and rub the knots in his shoulders with it.”

“What is this?” Macon’s nose crinkled as the lavender and belladonna flooded his senses.

“Something to relax his muscles so he can be human when he heals.” White River handed Macon a small bottled of green liquid so dark it almost appeared black. “If she uses this bowl, refill it with this. Be sure to dissolve it entirely in the water.”

He walked out of the cottage before Macon could ask any more questions. Silence filled the room. Phoenix followed his instructions, even though Shadow let out quiet moans.

Image

“No! People like my parents…” I trailed off as Viper squeezed my hand until my fingers were purple.

“People like me helped people like your parents,” she hissed. “Do you honestly believe that your dad could’ve hurt to you if you were raised to be fierce. Raised to be a fighter.”

I shook my fingers as she released my hands. “Are you telling me I’m here because you are going to kill me too?”

“You…” Viper stood from her spot on the ground as her skin began to fade into that ugly green color. “You are here because Shadow wanted you. We don’t take part in the war!”

“War?”

“My parents were slaughtered by hunting hawks, but not just any hunting hawks.” She turned away from me. “Shifters killed my family because we helped wolves like you. Most of our parents did. Raider and Pretty boy lost their dad because he was like you, and their mom was killed for trying to protect her mate!”

“But…” I started

“No, listen to me!” Her voice echoed along the path. “Shads lost his-“

“Snake,” a deep voice echoed. A boy, at least two years older than me, stood to his full height of nearly seven feet. His shredded shorts hung loosely on his hips as the button dangled open. “That’s a story you shouldn’t tell.”

“You don’t…”

“I don’t care, Snake.” He growled. The ground vibrated as his chest rumbled. He shoved his cinnamon hair out of his eyes. “Don’t talk about memories that don’t belong to you.”

“I do…”

“No,” he growled. “You don’t.” His tanned skin took on a deep red hue while his teddy bear brown eyes trailed away from Viper and landed on me. “You are here, and he’ll say what he’s gotta say when he’s gonna say it. Not sooner!”

“Have you seen him?”

“I’m headed that way.” He grinned. “I don’t shed my fur for no good reason, you know.”

Viper’s lips tilted upward as she nodded. “Don’t break the cottage this time, Bear.”

“Can’t make any promises.”

I stood from my spot and walked toward the place where there should be opening. No one moved behind me. The forest didn’t breathe like it did the night they invited me to stay. It didn’t scare me. I wanted to fall into its vast shadows, to inhale its freedom.

“Don’t go in there, Wolf.” Bear’s deep voice thundered, although I’m sure he meant to be soothing. “There’s no one to protect you right now.”

“I know,” I whispered. One step and the canopy would overcome me.

“Come on,” he grabbed my arm. “Let’s go see what’s going on.”

“Leave her.” White River’s voice echoed. “We have more to discuss than what you’ve told her.”

I faced him. Tears burned my eyes. I could feel Bear and Viper watching me, prepared to shift in seconds. “You were there, weren’t you?” I wiped my eyes. “You saw them kill my mother?”

“Yes.” White River stared into my eyes. He didn’t move or breathe while he waited for the next question.

“Why?” The first tear slipped from my eyes. “Why?” I screamed as my legs collapsed beneath me.

“I…” he trailed off.

“Why?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I would love some feedback on this story.

How terrible is it?