‹ Prequel: Let Me Perfect It

Right Back Where We Started

Your music sounds different.

Image


Chloe's Point of View

When the set was over, I took a small towel that was hanging on the fence behind our stage to wipe off my face. Something about that set felt fantastic, even if the heat made me feel like perpetually jumping into a pool of ice or going into a freezer or something.

I know, I know. I've lived in Vegas for years, I should get used to the heat. I live in a desert. But, nope. I Constantly Thank God for Esteban Air Conditoning. Ha ha, a pun about my boyfriend's band. I should stick to music. No more jokes.

I was pulled from my thoughts when a small group of girls stopped me to take some pictures. I made small talk for a few and thanked them for coming to the show. After breaking off from them, I saw Brendon a few yards away.

A smile took over my face and I practically ran to meet him, pulling him into a huge hug.

"Hey you," He smiled, kissing my forehead. "Good set!"

I didn't respond for a moment because I realized that he was standing with someone that, without a doubt, I knew. "William Beckett." I practically spat.

"Good to see you too, Chloe." He responded coolly.

"Brendon, is this who you meant when -"

"Absolutely," He laughed.

"I'm who you meant when what?" The tall man looked between us.

"Nothing, man," Brendon shrugged it off quickly.

William's attention shifted to me, now. "Your music sounds different."

I pursed my lips. "Thanks for noticing," I shrugged. Brendon's arm was around my waist and he squeezed slightly, I gesture I took to mean be nice.

"Did you seriously get a new singer, though?" He added. His voice sounded just as shocked as that statement made me feel. I looked towards Brendon, my eyebrows furrowed. He didn't speak a word, but his wide-eyed expression explained his thoughts perfectly.

William didn't know Sophie was here, either. "I mean, I guess we did, in a sense..." I shrugged. Brendon squeezed my side again. I nudged him slightly. Just go with it.

"Wasn't Sophie pissed?"

"She was, but it passed. We had to move forward as a band and she... grew up, I guess. We still talk all the time."

"That's good, I guess..." William responded slowly, obviously confused. I had to stop myself from laughing in his face.

"Brendon, doesn't your set start pretty soon? I'm gonna hang out and watch, finally!" I grinned. I hadn't seen any of his sets yet, even though we were a few days into tour. Warped was busier than I'd even imagined.

---

It was halfway through Panic!'s set now, and I couldn't keep my eyes from the stage. Every time I saw that boy sing, I felt like I was just falling deeper and deeper in love.

Unfortunately, my attention was pulled from the stage when I heard a male voice next to me, "Sophie told me you'd be here!"

I looked over quickly to see Alex Gaskarth standing at my side. "You've got a signing in like, ten minutes."

"But-"

"Noooope, you gotta go."

"Why are you telling me this? Who sent you here?" I teased.

"Maybe I volunteered," He grinned. "But, seriously, you're gonna be late."

"But I still haven't gotten to see them play!" I pouted, looking towards the stage again.

Alex grabbed my arm gently. "But you need to be there! C'mon. Have your boy sing to you later, I'm sure he wouldn't care." He grinned. I pouted again, without a response. "Don't give me that look, Chloe! It's gonna break me!" Alex teased, putting his hand dramatically over his chest, but the opposite side from his heart. Good try.

"Fiiiine," I sighed, turning and walking away from the stage with one last look over my shoulder.

Brendon's Point of View

"Are you worth your weight in gold?
Cause you're behind my eyelids when I'm all alone
Hey, stranger, I want you to catch me like a cold.
You and god both got the guns, when you shoot I think I'd duck.

I led the revolution in my bedroom and I set all the zippers free.
We said, "No more war, no more clothes!
Give me peace.
Oh kiss me!"

Hey! Hey! We are a hurricane!
Drop our anchors in a storm.
Hey! They will never be the same,
A fire in a flask to keep us warm.
Cause they know, I know
That they don't look like me.
Oh, they know, I know
That they don't sound like me.

You'll dance to anything!
You'll dance to anything!"


The entirety of my set, I was looking to the side of the stage every few minutes and each time, Chloe was standing with a look on her face that I couldn't do anything but widen my own smile and get deeper into my songs.

She was the best thing that had ever happened to me.

"Oh I'd confess, I'd confess, in a room where I'm blessed.
But he didn't come and speak to me,
Or put my heart at ease.
And I believe that half the time
I am a wolf among the sheep
Gnawing at the wool over my eyes.

I led the revolution in my bedroom and I set all the zippers free.
We said, "No more war, no more clothes!
Give me peace.
Oh kiss me!"

Hey! Hey! We are a hurricane!
Drop our anchors in a storm.
Hey! They will never be the same,
A fire in a flask to keep us warm.
Cause they know, I know
That they don't look like me.
Oh, they know, I know
That they don't sound like me."


I looked back again, and this time Chloe wasn't alone. Her new friend Alex was standing next to her now, with his hand on her arm. He looked like he was trying to get her to go somewhere, and she didn't look happy. I looked back towards the crowd for another moment, and when I looked back, she was gone, with him.

"You'll dance to anything!
You'll dance to anything!
You'll dance to anything!
You'll dance to anything!

Fix me, or conflict me.
I'll take anything.
Fix me, or just conflict me.
Cause I'll take anything.

Hey! Hey! We are a hurricane!
Drop our anchors in a storm.
Hey! They will never be the same,
A fire in a flask to keep us warm.
Cause they know, I know
That they don't look like me.
Oh, they know, I know
That they don't sound like me.

You'll dance to anything!
You'll dance to anything!"