Status: Active. I will update as much as I can.

Beggars, Choosers, Finders & Keepers

The Heart Seals a Bond

Once Shania hit the corner of her street, she saw the living room light go on through the window of Zain’s house. She and Rocko picked up the pace while crossing the street. There were only about five houses on the street, but Shania tried her hardest to keep Rocko quiet as they both made their way into the house. As soon as she shut the door behind her, the Boxer barked really loudly. It made Shania cringe. At once, she took a deep breath then went over to the couch with Zain, Rocko, and their new friends. Zain had a mixing bowl half filled with water and a black cloth in his hand. The boy from the grass was laid out across the smooth leather of the couch. Zain had placed a damp towel around his neck to keep him externally hydrated. He then took the black cloth and dabbed it in the bowl of water right before putting a small amount of peroxide on the towel as well.

“Won’t that burn his cuts and bruises?” Shania asked cautiously as Zain moved to wipe the boy’s face. He looked up at his neighbor and smiled lightly.

“It’s alright. Peroxide won’t harm him as much as alcohol will. It’ll only sting,” he stated before continuing to dab the boy’s face. “The little mate won’t be too hurt afterwards. He’ll heal just fine,” he paused. “That’s to say, nothing is internally wrong with him.” He furrowed his eyebrows once he finished talking. The Brit didn’t even want to think what could be wrong with the young lad and how it happened in the first place. As he went over the boy’s face with the cloth, more cuts came to view. There was one located on the bottom of his chin, like it was going to cut his chin in half. Then a gash bloodied his eyebrow like someone hit him in the head with something.

“I think we should call the police,” Shania started, but before she could continue, Zain interrupted her.

“NO. We have to wait until he wakes up so we can understand why he was out there,” Shania exhaled as she realized he was right and took a seat at the end of the boy’s feet. “It shouldn’t be too long now. I got some water and sugar into his system and his wounds are starting to heal.” Shania nodded lightly and started to sink deeper into her seat. Zain watched her slowly with his eyes squinted. She looked tired, but he knew she wanted to wait until he woke up. “If you want, I’ll get a blanket so you can take a nap until the lad wakes up,” he said softly.

Shania didn’t know his voice could get so soft. It made her feel a certain way even though she really didn’t know what way that was. Like before, she bit her lip while they looked into each other’s eyes. His were so dark, but bright. Hers were so light, but dark.

Slowly, Shania took a deep breath and then Zain stood up from the couch and walked through the kitchen into his laundry room. Kindling a friendship with Zain might be something worthwhile, but Shania didn’t know what to make of it. She hadn't communicated with the man at all since they’d been neighbors. Not to say that he had tried anything friendly with her either. She barely knew him. Really and truly, she knew nothing about him except for the fact that he was British.

Not too long after he left, Zain was back with a red plush blanket and a mushy-looking, neck pillow. Shania stood up to grab the blanket and placed it on top of the still unconscious boy. She then took the pillow and placed it next to the earthy orange throw pillow on the couch. She fluffed the two pillows together as if to make a make-shift bed cushion. When she turned back towards Zain, he was scratching the back of his neck with a wandering eye. She wasn't too sure why he was looking that way, but she gave him a thankful smile anyways. He nodded his head and before he left for upstairs, he pushed the foot rest from the other side of the couch and placed it in front her. Shania bit her lip as he bid her good night and went upstairs with Rocko following close behind him.

Shania did her best not to drool at his chivalry so she quickly flopped back onto the couch and put her feet up. As she was getting comfortable with half the blanket and the two pillows, she looked over at the Boxer. Her head was up and she was looking right at Shania. The look startled Shania a little bit so she reacted like any normal human would.

“What? I can’t admire a kind, charming man?” she asked as if she would reply. The dog grumbled and put her head on top of her paws and closed her eyes. Shania hmphed to herself. This night was just too crazy for her. Her life always had a routine and always ended the same way every weeknight. Why couldn’t this have happened on the weekend among other crazy things, she asked herself and falling into the back of the couch while dropping her head at the top. She then moved her head over to look at the boy she shared the blanket with. He was now breathing deeply; inhaling and exhaling visibly. This sight sort of took some of the worry off of Shania’s mind. Apprehension still filled her being on what could have happened to him and why.
~*~

Seven hours later, Shania woke up to three barks and loud panting along with five small pre-pubescent chuckles. With the new refreshing sound hitting her ears, Shania jerked up from her spot on Zain’s couch and looked over to her left. There playing with the Boxer and smiling broadly and brightly was the previously unconscious boy from last night. Her eyes almost bugged out of her face as she watched him pet and giggle with the dog licking his face continuously. After actually waking up and seeing the boy alive and well, she didn’t really know what she was supposed to do. Was she going to call the police? Would she take care of him? Would Zain take care of him? Is she supposed report him as a found person? So many questions and so little… Well I guess we have a little more time than average… Shania thought while biting her bottom lip.

Shania spent so much time thinking about what she was going to do with the young one that she didn’t even think to actually talk to him and ask him where he had come from or how he had gotten in the tall grass.

“Hi,” said a happy voice to the left of her body. Shania looked over and stared at him. “I’m Nathan and this is Shelley,” Nathan smiled and waited for Shania’s response.

“Hey…” she paushed and stared some more. “My name is Shania…” words caught in the left side of her brain. She didn’t know how to talk to him. It was as if she didn’t find him unconscious and bruised in a field of green. Just the night before. The proof was in the pudding, however, while the scars and bruises were still visible on his face, neck, arms, and legs.

“I wanna thank you for saving me,” he resumed. “I haven’t eaten in forever and I feel like I’m back to normal.” His words were filled with excitement and happiness. It made Shania wonder if he remembered at all what happened to him, but then again, he did thank her for “saving” him. What did I save you from, she reflected. Who did I save you from, she considered. Shania narrowed her eyes as Nathan kept on smiling and laughing. Shelley was just as excited as he was because she couldn’t keep her tongue and nose to herself.

“Nathan, do you know what happened to you?” she waited for his answer; becoming indubitably anxious.

“Yes,” he answered sharply. Then he pursed his lips and looked down into his lap that was still half covered by the red plush blanket. “But I don’t wanna talk about it.”

“Ok, that’s fine,” Shania coaxed. “But you do know we have to talk about it sometime, right?” she asked gently.

Nathan slowly shook his head while also moving his platinum—almost white –blonde hair around on his head. His once sparkly green eyes were still downcast and his smile was replaced with an indifferent, unsure expression. He didn’t want to talk about what happened to him and he didn’t want to go back to where he was before waking up on this stranger’s couch. He suddenly felt like a burden and he just knew he would get in trouble and sent back.

Shania looked over at him and smiled sadly. She knew what he was probably thinking. She would send him back wherever he came from and never look back. But she knew that wasn’t the right thing to do. Besides, who in their right mind would want to send a young child back in the direction that had almost broken them? Once she had these thoughts, she grabbed ahold of the blanket half way on top of her and the other half, laid across his lap.

“I’m not gon’ send you back,” she said as she took the entire blanket and placed it over his full body. Just a second later, she walked into the kitchen and filled the glass Zain used for his water with more water. After the glass was full, the front door opened with a shove and a grunt. Shania took the glass in her hand and walked around the corner and stood underneath the stairs and the quoted doorway. “Hey, I didn’t know you left,” she greeted Zain. He wore gray sweatpants with a long-sleeved black shirt, sleeves pushed up to his elbows. He smiled at her while he held a cup hold with three different cups along with a Raising Cane’s bag in his other hand.

“I went to get something to eat,” he looked over at Nathan. “Both of you were asleep so I didn’t wanna wake you up.” He smiled at the both of them and then went to place the food and drinks on the wooden coffee table.

“You didn’t have to get me anything to eat. I could’ve went with you and got something for myself.”

“It wasn’t anything. No problem,” he brushed it off as he smiled again. “That one needed his rest,” he pointed over to Nathan. “And you had that tired look in your eyes even when you knocked on my door last night.” Shania almost blushed at the simple gesture that he had been looking into her eyes. Lately, it seemed like men didn’t really notice much about her; like they didn’t notice her at all.

“I’m Nathan,” exclaimed the young boy sitting up on the couch in between the two adults. He opened his mouth again as if to say something else, but closed it soon after deciding not to.

“Hello there, mate. I’m Zain,” Zain walked over and sat down next to Nathan and placed all of the food and drinks along the wooden table. “I hope you’re hungry. I also hope you’re not vegetarian,” he chuckled while putting two boxes full of chicken strips in front of the both of them.

Nathan laughed lightly as well and shook his head joyously. Shania watched as the two males got on. A small piece of her on the inside jolted just a little. Zain was so easy-going with Nathan. She didn’t know why it made her feel the way she felt.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've created an entirely new town in the state where I was born and I don't know how I came up with all of these characteristics of the town and people. I don't how I can pull it off, but hopefully you all can enjoy it. :)