Sequel: Stealing Glances
Status: COMPLETE- Sequel Stealing Glance is up!

Making Hits for Your Heart

Track Sixteen

April 2013

Today was the official day of release for the single “Happy” and the band had spent a few days in New York doing some in-stores as well as press for the occasion. After a morning flight out of New York, John was finally back home. He walked into his house mindlessly to the TV in the living room turned on with Halvo sitting on the couch.

“Hey Halvo.” John said unconsciously with his duffle bag slug behind his back.

“Hey John.” Halvo replied sounding way too cheerful.

“Hey John.” Jamison said, nonchalantly from the couch as Eric stifled a snicker.

“Hey Jamie—Jamison?!” John yelled in disbelief as he turned to see Jamison in his house. He dropped his bag in shock and stared at Jamison for another moment as Eric laughed hysterically at the scene unfolding in front of him.

“Took him long enough…” Jamison said looking over at Eric with a smirk.

“What are you doing here?!” John asked, as he finally ran up to Jamison and embraced her.

“I really wanted some In-N-Out and so I called her up and—“ Eric began.

“Shut the fuck up!” John laughed while punching Eric’s arm.

“Seriously, Halvo called and was like, “Hey girl, hey! You want to go get a double double with me?” and how could I say no?” Jamison said with a chuckle causing Eric and John to laugh uncontrollably.

“You guys are such assholes.” John said putting his arm around Jamison’s shoulder and pulling her into a side hug.

“We’re not completely shitting with you…” Jamison chuckled, “Halvo called and asked if I wanted to come out and help Nick and Justin work on some tracks and did some songwriting sessions with them and I also have been hanging out with Halvo here and Ruby.”

“This is one of the nicest surprises to come home to…” John said happily smiling at Jamison.

“I’m totally flattered.” Jamison said sarcastically as she mockingly clutched her chest.

“Shut up.” John laughed, “How long have you been here?”

“Almost a week? I have been introduced to Nick Santino and reacquainted myself with everyone else while you were away…” Jamison said as the two plotted onto the couch and Eric disappearing into the kitchen with Ruby.

“I—I can’t believe you are here…” John said, staring at Jamison like a hologram of some sort still in disbelief.

“In the flesh. I had to be here for the official day your single was released… by the way, congratulations on that.” Jamison smiled while letting out a happy sigh.

“Thank you…” John said, sheepishly. “All this is really happening… the single is out, you’re here… the album will be out in like 2 months… this is all happening.”

“It is… you worked hard O’Callaghan.” Jamison said with a reassuring look on her face letting John know that this was all actual happening.

“All the beers for you.” Eric said reemerging from the kitchen with beers in his hand and passing a bottle over to each John and Jamison.

“Cheers to you and the guys.” Jamison said, raising her bottle as Eric and John followed along then clicked their bottles together in cheers.

“We should call them—“ John said, taking out his cell phone and getting ready to dial.

“Let them enjoy a day at home… I got some time.” Jamison said putting up one of her hands in a stop motion.

“Till our… road trip!!!” Halvo yelled in joy throwing his arm in the air.

“What?” John asked, completely confused by the situation.

“I actually was going to leave Wednesday for LA but somehow Halvo convinced Nick and I that we should do a road trip up there together the day after tomorrow and record the song we worked on and… just turned into--” Jamison began explaining.

“ROAD TRIP!!!” Eric yelled while throwing his arms up in the air once more.

“Road trip.” Jamison simply said with a laugh as she watched Eric nonchalantly take a sip of his beer.

“Am I invited?” John asked, looking at Eric with phony puppy eyes.

“Um, ew… no.” Eric answered, looking completely offended by the question John had posed.

“Fuck you dude. Fuck you.” John said, bursting out in laughter and punching Eric on the shoulder.

“Of course you’re invited.” Jamison said, as she laughed at the sight of Eric and John. “You don’t have anything important to do or anything, do you?”

“This is important…” John said giving her a smile of assurance.

“Road trip!!!” Eric yelled, happily repeating his previous actions.

“Road trip.” John said as he followed along with a smile.

--------------

Leaving late afternoon, the group took two cars on their journey to LA. Eric and Nick driving up in Eric’s car and John and Jamison driving in John’s truck. John and Jamison were sitting in the car with the sounds of David Bowie filling the speakers.

“So what are the plans when you get to LA besides working, work dork…” John asked with a smirk on his face as he took a quick glance over at Jamison who was smiling and shaking her head at John’s question.

“I’m going to disregard that “work dork” comment. Cause you are driving and if I beat you up, we’ll both die.” Jamison said causing John to laugh, “Besides work… I have no idea. Have fun with Halvo?” She joked, shrugging her shoulders.

“You know you can’t run off with him anymore since he has a girlfriend now right?” John chuckled.

“A girl can dream…” She mock sighed, “But no, I know… and I think it’s adorable and I also think it’s the only reason why he wanted to do this trip to see his ladyfriend. Oh the bliss of the honeymoon phase.” She said teasingly, while laughing at her own words.

“We’re his backups on the days his girlfriend is too busy to hang out with him.”

You are… I might be too busy in the studio. I am a work dork.”

“Lame.” John said with a chuckle, “I honestly thought I would be seeing you sometime during the summer…” He glanced over at Jamison who looked over at him with a smile.

“Sometimes, you just need to make time when you miss people…” She simply said, with a slight shrug.

“Aw, you missed me?” John asked, teasingly causing Jamison to laugh.

“Woah, never said it was you…” She said with a straight face, causing John to look at her in mock astonishment. “I am kidding. Of course I missed you John Cornelius O’Callaghan the Fifth.” She gave him a smile.

“And I you, Jamison Jae In Song.” He looked over at her with a smile taking a second to appreciate the moment before Jamison’s cell phone interrupted it.

“Nick texted me and said Eric is going to make an In-N-Out run at the next exit…” She said, relaying the message over to John as he was driving behind Eric.

“Let’s do it…” John said, “Hey Jamison?” He turned over and looked at Jamison who looked up from her phone and giving John her undivided attention.

“Yeah?”

“Thank you for coming out. I really needed it.” He said sincerely as he reverted his gaze back to the road.

“You’re welcome.” Jamison smiled, “You can repay me by buying me a number 2—animal style.” She joked causing John to smile.

“Will do…” He said as he glanced over to see Jamison smiling.

------------

After arriving to LA in the evening everyone had went their respective destinations of where they would be staying. Eric with his girlfriend, Nick with his one of his closest friends Debby Ryan, and Jamison and John were staying with Butch.

The next morning Eric and John had dropped Nick and Jamison off at Butch’s studio and set off to meeting friends in LA and going to a few record stores before heading back to the studio in the evening to pick up their friends.

Eric and John walked into the studio to see Jamison and Nick sitting on the couch in the control room talking to Butch who was sitting in his chair behind the soundboard.

“Hey, look our rides are here.” Nick joked causing Jamison to laugh.

“That’s all they are good for…” Jamison said, playing along as Eric kicked Nick in the shin.

“What have you guys been up to?” John said not phased by the banter that had just gone on.

“Butch has been kind enough to help track the demo for the song Nick and I wrote which Nick decided make it a duet with his bestie Debby Ryan.” Jamison explained giving a small applause for Butch.

“Jamison has been kind enough to do the scratch track for the vocals… and help make this song what it is by also co-writing with me.” Nick said, mimicking Jamison and giving a small applause for her showing his appreciation.

“You owe me Santino…” Jamison smiled, “I take payment in food.” She joked causing everyone to laugh.

“Why don’t you play John and Eric the song?” Butch suggested leaning back in his chair in a carefree manner.

“Play it back for them Butch.” Jamison said, pointing over to the soundboard.

“No, I mean live… now.” Butch explained causing Jamison and Nick to look at one another in a mixture of panic and surprise.

“You guys should I’m totally curious on what you’ve guys been cooking up in here all afternoon.” John said, hinting at his liking for Butch’s suggestion.

“Same here.” Eric smirked looking at Nick, who was shaking his head to himself.

“Let’s do this…” Jamison said, with a sigh getting up from the couch with Nick as the two began walking into the recording room.

Nick and Jamison took a seat on the two stools that were out in front of the microphones and Nick picked up his acoustic guitar and began strumming a few chords before taking a deep breath.

“When Jamison and I began writing together I didn’t have a first verse to this song till she came along… and somehow bringing her the skeleton of what I had done turned out to be one of the best things cause I don’t think this song would be what is it without her…” Nick rambled, as Jamison seemed to be zoned out in her own world not even realizing Nick was speaking.

“Quit stalling and play the damn song!” Eric yelled through the intercom causing everyone in the control room to laugh.

“You ready?” Nick asked looking at Jamison who took a deep breath before shaking her head.

Nick began playing the intro to the song as Jamison began to sing…

All I knew this morning when I woke
Is I know something now, know something now I didn't before.
And all I've seen since eighteen hours ago
Is green eyes and freckles and your smile
In the back of my mind making me feel like

I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now
I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now


John watched Jamison in complete awe and was captivated by every word and note she was singing. John reminisced when he had first heard Jamison sing “Make You Feel My Love” for Declan and realized he had forgotten she was able to do so much more than just be behind the soundboard.

I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now
I just wanna know you, know you, know you


'Cause all I know is we said, "Hello."
And your eyes look like coming home
All I know is a simple name
Everything has changed
All I know is you held the door
You'll be mine and I'll be yours
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed


And all my walls stood tall painted blue
And I'll take them down, take them down and open up the door for you


And all I feel in my stomach is butterflies
The beautiful kind, making up for lost time,
Taking flight, making me feel right


I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now
I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now
I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now
I just wanna know you, know you, know you

'Cause all I know is we said, "Hello."
And your eyes look like coming home
All I know is a simple name
Everything has changed
All I know is you held the door
And you'll be mine and I'll be yours
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed

Come back and tell me why
I'm feeling like I've missed you all this time, oh, oh, oh.
And meet me there tonight
And let me know that it's not all in my mind.


I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now
I just wanna know you, know you, know you


All I know is we said, "Hello."
And your eyes look like coming home
All I know is a simple name
Everything has changed
All I know is you held the door
You'll be mine and I'll be yours
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed


All I know is we said, "Hello."
So dust off your highest hopes
All I know is pouring rain and everything has changed
All I know is a new found grace
All my days I'll know your face

All I know since yesterday is everything has changed

The song was over and Jamison and Nick looked at one another and sighed in relief before giving each other a high five.

“This one is going to be a hit, I can smell it…” Butch said, keeping his eyes focused on the two as they got up from their seats and began

“I think so too…” John said to himself not taking his eyes off Jamison from being amazed at what he actually just heard.

“Let us go home… and wind down.” Jamison said, with a sigh as she put her arms around Butch’s shoulder.

“Let us go…” Butch said, grabbing his jacket.

After getting back to Butch’s house and having dinner with the family. Butch, John, and Jamison sat in Butch’s backyard while lighting a fire and sharing a bottle of French wine and stories with one another.

“So, John… I heard the new single. I have to say… you guys have grown. I’ve always been a fan of you guys since working with you but after all the amazing things Jamison says about you guys and listening to the new stuff. I’m rooting for you even more.” Butch said, as he took a sip of his wine.

“Thanks… that means so much coming from you-- the quintessence of badass.” John said, chuckling nervously as he looked over at Jamison who looked at Butch with a smirk.

“Why do people think you’re badass? I don’t get it…” She half joked, swirling her glass around.

“You’re lucky we’ve had all this wine…” Butch said, “Or else, you’d be in a headlock of some sort right now…”

“We have a guest, you need to keep your reputation to it’s utmost.” Jamison baited, causing John to chuckle.

“John, turn around…” Butch said jokingly gesturing John to maneuver himself the other way.

“Don’t!” Jamison said, with a laugh pointing at John to stay put.

“You two must be close if Jamison is willing to voluntary leave the studio to visit you…” Butch said to John as he offered a knowing smirk to Jamison causing her to roll her eyes.

“Shut up, I leave when I want to…” Jamison said, taking a sip of her wine.

“You don’t leave often enough…” Butch countered.

“I promise to leave often this summer, I’ll be on pseudo summer camp with this dude.” Jamison said, pointing her thumb over at John who looked at her and smiled.

“Take care of her… or I will break your kneecaps.” Butch said completely straight-faced and seriously causing John’s blood to run cold for a moment.

“Yes… sir?” John said, completely unsure on how to respond to Butch’s threat luckily Jamie Bleu had come to save John.

“Uncle Jamison!!!” Jamie yelled, running into the arms of Jamison.

“Hey dude, aren’t you suppose to be in bed?” Jamison asked, putting Jamie on her lap.

“I came to get some water… and saw you and wanted to say hi.” He said looking up at Jamison with a smile.

“Well, hello Jamie Bleu…” She greeted him, patting his head. “You should go back upstairs and go to bed… we’ll do the same too.”

“Alright.” Jamie said, getting off Jamison’s lap. “Goodnight Uncle Jamison. Night John… and daddy.” He waved at everyone before heading back into the house.

“Night little man.” Butch yelled, as Jamie started running back in.

“Night Jamie.” John said quietly. “You guys have to tell me where ‘Uncle Jamison’ comes from…”

“Honestly, I want to say you just started telling Jamie to call me Uncle and it snowballed from there…” Jamison said, looking at Butch while trying to recall the story in her own head, “Well, then he asked why I was Uncle Jamison when I am a girl… and you told him—“

“I told Jamie Bleu that Jamison would be teaching you all the cool things I couldn’t teach him all the cool boy and girl things in life… and something. I don’t know I guess thought it would be funny to call you uncle since you were always considered one of the boys.” Butch explained, with a laugh as John listened in fascination.

“It still doesn’t completely answer you question but… it is what it is.” Jamison said, with a nonchalant shrug causing John to laugh.

“Plus, it’s fitting—she’s like one of the guys… but better.” Butch teased, causing Jamison chuckle.

“And I have nicer hair than all of you.” She joked, flipping her hair and running her hand through it.

“You wish.” John said, lighting tapping his leg on Jamison’s.

“I’m going to go to bed… you two, finish off this wine and stay out of trouble.” Butch said, getting up from his seat and stretching a bit.

“Will do.” Jamison said, giving Butch a mock salute before being pulled into a side hug by him.

“Good having you here John…” Butch said patting John’s shoulder.

“Good to be here.” John said, somewhat nervously still not fully grasping the situation that he was staying over at the Butch Walker’s.

Butch gave the two one last salute before walking back into his home leaving John and Jamison alone together.

“So, now you know Butch isn’t as badass as he seems…” Jamison said, with a laugh picking up on John’s excitement.

“Still a total badass.” John gushed, taking a sip of his wine.

“Even after he told you about the whole Elvis Costello run-in he had?” Jamison laughed recalling the infamous story in her head.

“Yep.”

“Weirdo.” Jamison laughed, as she finished off her wine.

“Work dork.” John countered as he laughed at his own comeback.

“That I am… this is my life.” Jamison gestured around to her surroundings.

“It’s a nice one… with good wine I might add.” John

“Melding you into all parts of it…” She said, with a smile as John laughed recalling what he had told her when he took her to the 8123 office rooftop.

“I’m glad.”

“You fit in quite nicely…”

“I’m not cool enough to be at your lunch table…”

“Nonsense.”

“What do you think Nick and Eric are up to?”

“Nick just tweeted he is having wings night with Debby at her place… and I am betting Eric is having a date with his ladyfriend.” Jamison said as she looked through her phone.

“Gosh, I don’t think I’ve been on a date in awhile…” John admitted sheepishly before letting out a nervous laugh.

“You?” Jamison asked letting out a sarcastic gasp while clutching her chest. “John Cornelius O’Callaghan the Fifth, how long has it been?” She questioned in mock astonishment.

“Feels like it has been too long…”

“Do you like going on dates?” She asked, setting down her wine glass and giving her attention to John.

“I don’t know how to answer that exactly…” He let out a nervous laugh trying to collect his thoughts. “Yes? I don’t know going out with someone and getting to know them, it’s good and bad. Hence the existence of good and bad dates… I like how it could possibly lead to other things. What about you?” He wondered how she would answer it always seemed like a curveball when it came to Jamison.

“I don’t know I hate dating people I’ve never met and have to get to know in a dating manner cause the idea of it just feels like a game sometimes… I have to dress up, make conversation enough to keep said person interested, and if I win. I get another date, if not, I don’t… I don’t know. But at the same time, I like the idea of going on dates with someone you at least already kind of know…” She rambled, “I don’t know… kind of? Sometimes?” She laughed at her uncertain answer.

“You’re weird…” John said with a laugh, as he looked at Jamison like she was a crazy person.

“I know.” She answered coolly like she already knew.

“I like it.” He admitted with a laugh.

“I know…” She laughed as she poured the remaining wine into their glasses.

“Last glass of wine.”

“Gonna sleep real well tonight…” Jamison joked, picking up her glass and taking a sip of it.

“I’m sure you will.” John chuckled, “Kind of bummed I’m leaving the day after tomorrow… this has been a nice vacation. I guess I’ll go home and just wait for 2 more months till the album drops and I have something to do.” He said half joking causing Jamison to roll her eyes.

“You should drive up to San Francisco with me instead of driving back down home.” She suggested, “Basically, you should just give me a ride up to San Francisco.”

“What’s happening there?”

“My friends are getting married this weekend, I am one of the bridesmaids… and visiting Squire. It’s been awhile.”

“Sounds fun… I would love to see Squire again, I don’t think we’ve seen him in years.” John said, thinking back to when the band first recorded their first full-length.

“Hey John?” Jamison said causing John to break out from his thoughts of the past.

“Yeah?”

“How do you feel about snazzy outfits, free booze, food, and possible drunken debauchery?” She asked nonchalantly causing John’s curiosity to peak.

“I like all those things…” He answered carefully wondering what she was going to say next.

“You want to go on a date with me O’Callaghan? Since you haven’t been on one in forever?” Jamison offered, asking in a teasing manner but catching John completely off guard.

“To your friend’s wedding?” He asked, making sure he heard correctly.

“Yeah. You can be my date.” Jamison said casually with a smile.

“Sure.” John answered, not really able to believe what had just happened from a simple conversation.

“It’s official—you’ll be my date.” She announced, clapping her hands together to make it official.

“We're going on a date…” John said out loud, mostly to himself in somewhat disbelief that they were using such a term between one another feeling a mixture of emotions he couldn’t seem to pinpoint.

“Make sure to dress for the occasion.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: It’s been forever and a day—sorry for being away for so long. I was travelling parts of the world and doing things. But sorry for the lame chapter, I really am unable to write anything lately and it’s bothering me. I think I lost my brain (or part of it) somewhere while travelling. I promise I won’t be gone for this long again though!

So no one gets confused, italics are for Jamison’s singing parts, bold is for Nick’s and, both is for both!

I hope you guys are still interested in this story and what not. As always, feedback is appreciated but not required (but it fuels me)… I hope you are all doing well and are enjoying this story! Unedited but one day I’ll come and fix all my boo boos. Also, used Taylor Swift's "Everything Has Changed (feat. Ed Sheeran)" as the song Jamison and Nick wrote together.

everdeen- I totally only had half this chapter written when I saw your comment. I AM HERE. I AM ALIVE (MOSTLY).

Question of the day: Do you guys have any goals for 2014? Things you want to do? New things you want to try/experience?