Sequel: Stealing Glances
Status: COMPLETE- Sequel Stealing Glance is up!

Making Hits for Your Heart

Track One

August 2012

“Shit, I am going to be late…” John said to himself while looking at phone seeing the time. He quickly stumbled out his bed and ran to the bathroom hoping his roommate and one of his best friends Eric Halvorsen wasn’t using it.

After a quick shower and thanking God he had finished packing the night before John got into his truck and drove to the 8123 office into the parking lot where the rest of the band was already waiting for him, Jared and Kennedy with smirks across their faces knowing John would be late, Garrett and Pat half asleep trying to keep their eyes open, and Tim, their manager, playing with his car keys not phased by John’s tardiness.

“Well, look who decided to come.” Kennedy said with a laugh as John rolled his eyes behind his sunglasses while just gave him the finger. “You’re lucky we didn’t leave you ass behind.”

“Let’s go guys…” Tim said, nodding his head towards the van.

Everyone grabbed their things and shoved it into the back of the van. The band was headed to Nashville to meet with their potential producer for their fourth studio album. After months of touring and then spending the last month at home writing and resting— they felt it was time to make another album.

Tim dropped the guys off at the airport and wished them luck with their meeting with Brendan Benson, who Pat had basically googled and researched to the point where if you had asked him about Brendan, he could possibly tell you his home address and then some. But beyond Pat’s research the guys had asked around about Brendan from their first producer Matt Squire who only had praises about Brendan and his craft at recording by tape. Needless to say, they hope this trip wouldn’t be for nothing and that Brendan lived up to the hype that was said about him—they basically prayed he wasn’t an asshole.

A short flight later, the guys had arrived to Nashville and got into the rental van and headed over to Brendan’s home studio. They drove up to the driveway to see someone already waiting outside for them.

“I’m Mike, one of the engineers. You guys must be The Maine.” Mike said, introducing himself as he shook each member’s hand as they introduced themselves to Mike. “Brendan and everyone are inside waiting for you guys.”

They followed Mike inside the house to see guitars all over the wall. They walked passed the control room that had a bunch of equipment all around the floor. They ended up in what seemed to be a lounge/living room-esque area, to see Brendan conversing and laughing with a girl around their age sitting next to him.

Brendan realized people had came into the room, as he and the girl stood up with smiles upon their faces, “Hey, I’m Brendan. It’s nice to meet you guys.” He introduced himself letting his hand to shake.

“Jared.” Jared said starting the introductions, as he firmly shook Brendan’s hand.

“Garrett.”

“Pat”

“Kennedy.”

“John.”

Brendan nodded his head, trying to remember their names to their faces. He then pointed over to the girl next to him, “This is Jamison Song, we all call her Jae… she’s my right hand person… go-to-“ he began to ramble.

“Basically, I am Brendan’s bitch… and producer at times. Nice to meet you guys.” She said jokingly, causing the guys to laugh as she gave them a small wave to greet them.

“So, shall we start out meeting?” Brendan said, gesturing to the couch behind the guys for them to sit as he and Jamison took a seat on the couch across from them. “We have like water and shit set up for you guys… so take what you want.” He pointed at the coffee table between them that had an array of things from water, coffee, Vitamin Water, fruit, and random things to eat.

Scattered thanks were going around the coffee table as everyone grabbed a bottle of water with the exception of Pat grabbing an orange with his bottle of water.

“So, making a fourth album… congrats on that.” Brendan said as he lit up a cigarette, “I guess to start… what is your vision for this album?” He asked before taking a drag from his cigarette.

“We met with Ryan Adams and kind of got a look into his studio and the one thing he said that kind of stuck with us when we met him was, “Computers are for porn and writing emails to your mom and tape machines are for recording music.” And then Pat here took that to heart and went into his obsessive research mode then found more about the whole recording to tape thing and our producer for our first record Matt told us about you… and here we are.” Jared began to explain as the other members nodded along agreeing with Jared words.

“Oh Squire… good guy. Jae here actually worked with him for years before I stole her.” Brendan chuckled, as he playfully punched Jamison on the shoulder. “You helped produce some of the tracks off the second half of the first Panic! At The Disco album, right?” He asked her, wondering if got his information was correct. The guys seemed to be completely thrown off by the words coming out of Brendan’s mouth. She looked way too young to have even know what a studio was when that album was made.

“Yup.” She nodded nonchalantly as the guys were stunned by the confirmation of Brendan’s words.

“Were you like 10 at the time?” Garrett asked, not even realizing what he had just said.

Jamison and Brendan began laughing before she shook her head, “I was 16. But close…”

Granted, Math wasn’t a strong suit for any of the guys but they had realized she must have been born in 1989— the Asian genes really made her look younger. The guys, especially Pat and Garrett started in the band early but this girl seemed to have taken the cake. They all stared at her a bit confused but trying to hide it the best they could.

“This girl is kind of a genius… she produced the latest Yellowcard album.” Brendan said, proudly looking over at Jamison who just shook her head modestly.

“Wow.” Pat said, not knowing what else to say.

“Dude, you know they’re trying to hire you, right?” Jamison said, punching Brendan on the shoulder.

“Right.” Brendan laughed, finishing off his cigarette before putting it out on the ashtray that was on the coffee table. “I’m not going to lie, before your management emailed me I didn’t really have a clue about your music and wasn’t sure if I could help you make the album you wanted but Jae here knows about your music extensively and educated me for a better lack of term…”

“We just want to grow more as musicians and we think this process will help us—it’s new, different, and we’re curious and hungry to learn.” John said, making his case hoping Brendan would say yes because he knew that Brendan was the first, second, and third choice of producers they wanted to work with.

“One thing I want you guys to know if we decide to work together is—it’s going to be a long process setting up and production shit before we even can record. It’s some tedious work but I think it’s worth it.” Brendan explained.

“We’re willing do whatever to just make the album we want to make.” Garrett said.

“I know we made most of the agreements if we decide to work together but I have one more before I agree to this.” Brendan said.

“Which is?” John asked, hoping it wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

“Jae here co-produces your album with me.” Brendan pointed over to Jamison, causing her to look at him in disbelief apparently this was something Brendan had just thought of and everyone was hearing about this for the first time. “She knows your music, she’s inclined to help I feel. Plus… she’s a ruthless bitch when it comes to recording.” He explained while laughing at his own words.

“Thanks Brendan… just thanks.” Jamison said rolling her eyes.

“Love you lady.” Brendan teased, “But you guys can think about it and stuff… but those are my terms. I can assure you she comes in high regard by people you know and worked with. Don’t underestimate her cause she’s a girl or young. But if you decide not to that’s fine too. She’ll be part of my production team anyways.”

“We will talk it over tonight and get back to you tomorrow.” Pat said, looking over at the members who nodded in agreement to his words.

“Please do. Come by whenever, we’ll all be here.” Brendan said, getting up from the couch to end the meeting.

After more handshakes and thanks were exchanged amongst everyone. The guys got back to their hotel that they were staying at. For dinner they all got into the room Garrett and Pat were sharing and had pizza while Pat googling Jamison Song.

“So, what do we think?” Kennedy asked, with a pizza in one hand and remote in the other, channel surfing.

“She’s worked with Butch, Matt, Brendan, Neal Avron, Yellowcard, Panic! At The Disco, 3OH!3, and the list goes on… but she’s been assistant engineering, did some co-writing, and producing, and now working with Brendan for the last year or so now.” Pat said, reading his laptop screen intently while chewing on his pizza.

“She’s got a resume, I’ll give her that.” Jared said shaking his head a bit in astonishment by what Pat just had read.

“She seemed cool.” Garrett said, taking a sip of his beer.

“That too.” Jared agreed. “I say we give her a chance if it doesn’t click I guess we can go to Brendan full-time?”

“I agree.” Pat said giving thumbs up not looking up from his laptop screen.

“Same.” Garrett said, still watching the movie.

“I’m down.” Kennedy said looking over at Jared giving him an approving nod.

All that’s left was John. But John was in his own world at the moment. He wasn’t completely sure about letting Jamison co-produce on the album, he didn’t doubt her abilities or anything like that but she was a girl—sure that seemed a bit sexist but he was used to it being a boys club... sure there was always the occasional girl that was in their boys club—whether it’d be a member in another band on tour with them or something along the lines of that but never directly with The Maine and nothing with someone so important as being apart of an album to that extent. Honestly, it scared him a bit and made him nervous.

But the rest of the guys seemed to be on board with it. Who was he to go against the majority of the band because of something that seemed so trivial?

“John?” Jared said breaking John out of his thinking trance he was in.

“Sure.” John said in agreement nodding his head.

“It’s settled then.” Garrett said, looking at the rest of the guys to see if there were any last second objections. “Jamison is in…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello, I am new to this site and whatnot but I hope you enjoy this story. The whole timeline of the making of "Forever Halloween" will be a bit different from real life and etc (with events and things) ... but you guys won't mind since this is just a story, right? :)

Anyways, feedback is always appreciated but not required (but it does help fuel me to continue this story!).