Sequel: Stealing Glances
Status: COMPLETE- Sequel Stealing Glance is up!

Making Hits for Your Heart

Track Twenty

Track Twenty

July 2013

“Where are you today?” Jamison asked, as she was talking to John during what seemed to be almost daily phone calls.

“Wilton, Connecticut… we haven’t played at this place since we first were a band. It’s going to be good… and interesting.” John said, with a chuckle as he was walking around outside the venue looking around at his surroundings.

“Lots of memories.”

“That’s for sure.” He smiled, thinking back to the show they had once played in Wilton.

“So, were those the days you did the, “I Just Wanna Love You” Akon covers?” She teased, causing John to laugh hysterically.

“God, yes…” He admitted between fits of laughter. “We’re actually gonna play it tonight, it seemed fitting.”

“You know Akon doesn’t do that song justice. Not like you.” She said jokingly causing John to burst into another fit of laughter.

“Where are you?”

“New York—last minute pre-production work got cancelled. So, I’m on vacation for the next 2 weeks till I gotta go to Nashville to run Butch’s studio there for a bit.” Jamison said, with a content sigh as she looked around her apartment before plotting down on her couch.

John was surprised by her answer; “We’re in New York tomorrow…”

“Right.” She said, “I didn’t even realize that… I’ll be at the show.”

“We have room on the bus… you should, come on tour again. We’ll drop you off at Nashville.” He proposed hoping she would take him up on his offer and also hoping he wouldn’t sound to obvious with wanting her back on tour.

“Tempting…” She said, as a smile came upon her face by his offer.

“What’s stopping you?”

“Honestly, nothing… I didn’t expect you to propose I come on tour again.”

“You were only on 4 dates—4 ½, if you count you leaving in Seattle.”

“That’s still a lot…” She argued, “You should give the bunks to the dudes.”

“I’m pretty sure that’d give up a bunk for you…” He said, “I really want you here. We all want you here.” He quickly said the first half of his comment not wanting to draw to much attention to himself.

There was a long quiet pause for a moment before Jamison answered, “I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“Really?” He asked completely surprised.

“Yeah, for you…guys. I’ve got time.” She said, with a smile. John smiled to himself feeling touched by Jamison’s simple words.

The next day John anxiously waited outside as he got a text message from Jamison telling him she would be at the venue within the next half hour. He began smoking a cigarette trying to calm his nerves and also trying to figure out why he was so nervous. John kept repeating to himself it was just Jamison and that they were friends but then would be reminded of moments where it had felt more than friends like their weekend in San Francisco or when Jamison came to visit randomly when the “Happy” single was released and they had road tripped up to LA. He felt a mix bag of emotion rush upon him till he felt a hand tap his shoulder. He turned around to see Jamison standing in front of him holding a suitcase along with wearing an 8123 t-shirt that John had told her she had to wear if she was going to take the “walking billboard” job seriously. He smiled to himself and felt his insides jump a bit before coming back to reality.

“Hey…” She said, setting down her bag next to her before embracing John.

“Hi.” He mumbled, hugging her and wondering to himself if he was lingering and making the hug last longer than it should.

“Good to see your face.” She said, mumbling into his shoulder. He took that as a sign to pull back and look at her.

“Yours too.” He smiled, wondering what he should do next a moment of silence dawdled upon them.

“Jam!” Jared yelled, saving the moment as he walked up to the two.

“Jared!” Jamison said happily as she embraced Jared.

“I hear you’ll be with us for awhile…” He said with a smirk before looking over at John giving him a knowing look as John diverted his gaze from Jared.

Jamison shook her head and chuckled, “You heard correctly…”

“Stoked for that… “

“I am too.”

“Jamison!” Garrett yelled, as he got off the best and made his way to the ongoing crowd.

“Garrett!” Jamison said, giving Garrett a high five before hugging him.

“Are you ready to go back to sleeping in a coffin?” Garrett said jokingly, as he slung his arm around Jamison’s shoulder.

Jamison shook her head confidently, “Totally.” She said sarcastically.

“Good to have you.” Jared said to her, giving her a final pat on the shoulder. “Garrett and I are actually going to go record hunting, we’ll see you guys later.” The two gave John and Jamison a wave before walking off.

“I’ll grab your things for you, I was thinking you could show me one of your favorite places to eat around here.” John said, grabbing Jamison’s suitcase for her as he lead her onto the bus.

“I can do that…” She said, following John onto the bus towards the bunks.

“You think you can manage to sleep on the top bunk?” John asked, with a smirk upon his face as he pointed to the top bunk above his middle bunk.

“You give the shortest person on the tour, the top bunk?” She deadpanned, “Yeah… you’re going to have to boost me up every night then.” She laughed, as John stuck her suitcase into her bunk before they started walking back off the bus.

“Can do.” He laughed, “Let’s go, I’m hungry…” He opened the door to the bus and got off with Jamison following behind him.

“You’re the boss applesauce.” Jamison said, as she began walking down the street alongside John on search for food.

“Cute.” John said teasingly, as Jamison faked a scoff in mock offense.

“I’m adorable.” She said, flipping her hair jokingly causing John to stifle a laugh.

“Sure.” He rolled his eyes.

“Admit it O’Callaghan, I am so cute you just want to link arms with me and skip along this sidewalk with me.”

“I totally do… totally.” John said in a high-pitched voice along with a lisp. “What are we getting Jamie?” He asked pretending to flip his hair as he linked his arms with hers strolling to the crosswalk.

“We’re getting sandwiches…” She said, playing along with him. They got to a crowded intersection before Jamison grabbing his hand caught John off guard. “We can’t lose you…” Jamison smiled before weaving through the crowd of people and not letting go of John’s hand.

------------

The band had made it to Cleveland, Ohio and after another successful show and meeting with fans. The band went straight into a studio to record a podcast for Alternative Press with Mike Shea, the founder of AP. They had talked about the beginnings from what kind of people they were in high school to the history of the band. Jamison watched from the control room intently and completely amused by the banter between everyone with constant laughter. They were now on the topic of making and recording their first full-length with Matt (Squire).

“So, let’s talk about recording your first album. What was like that? Did you have songs from the beginning that you had written from your first tours?”

“Yeah, I had been writing constantly.” John began, “But we didn’t know what we were doing, in our heads we thought we had an album done. It wasn’t until we met Matt during pre-production when we realized… we weren’t ready.” he chuckled sheepishly recalling how much boldness they all had when going into the studio.

“Luckily, he jumped into the trenches with us. We’d be in the pre-pro room for like 10 hours a day. He would really push us and as musicians and as people.” Jared explained, looking over at the other members to see who would continue the conversation.

“And not only that but someone who we held in, and still hold in high regard—had challenged us, we wanted to rise to the occasion.” John said, elaborating on Jared’s remark.

“Was there a lot of anxiety of not wanting to look like idiots in front of him?” Mike asked.

“I think it was overall just trying not to show how much we didn’t know—we knew nothing about recording or things like that.” Kennedy said, with a chuckle.

“We were trying to consume it all at once, it was such a new experience. All of it—being signed, recording, and things.” Pat said, fiddling with hands.

“I remember he said the first day during pre-production when we showed him one of the demos, “This song makes me want to blow my head off.” and we were in over our heads.” Garrett said laughing as he thought about the hits they took the day they went into the studio.

“No, he like said, “This song makes me want to—“ and did a gun to the head gesture pretending to blow his head off.” John said, laughing as mimicked the gesture Matt had once done.

“Much more subtle.” Mike said sarcastically as everyone laughed.

“It actually hurt more.” Jared admitted, as another round of laughter erupted into the room.

“I remember he was also like, “Write a song in ¾… I’ll be back, I gotta go fix my cell phone.” and we all just kind of panicked and were trying to decipher what he meant.” Kennedy said as a chuckle and smile continued to linger over his face.

“We were so lost… none of us had any music theory knowledge.” John admitted sheepishly with a chuckle.

“Then Matt calls and goes, “Do you guys have anything done?” and we tried to play it off and be like, “Yeah! Totally!” and then Matt goes, “Well, play it for me…” so Jared plays something we think is what he asked for.” Pat said, with a laugh.

“And then Matt says, “Sounds good.” and hangs up…” Jared said, laughing hysterically as he recalled that day. “It was just like so crazy thinking about it now—we literally knew nothing about anything.”

“And that song made the record—how crazy is that…” Pat said, chuckling at the whole story and how surreal the whole experience seemed.

“Recording with a high profile producer and what did you learn and gain from it?” Mike asked, looking at his notes then around the room giving the guys a moment to think of an answer.

“I remember one thing he said was, “Make it diverse.” and that helped us so much just because people thought we sounded a certain way from the EP. But we have tracks like, “We’ll All Be” which has a twang to it and I think it just kind of…” Garrett said, trying to think about how to finish his thought.

“Shaped us into the band we are today…” Pat said, finishing Garrett’s sentence and thought for him as everyone collectively nodded in agreement.

“We actually have one of your producers here who helped make the newest record— Jamison Song. She’s in the control room laughing along with us.” Mike said, as he looked over through the window into the control room at Jamison who just kept stifling laughter with the sound engineer.

“She’s probably laughing at us.” John said, looking at Jamison with a smirk. “But she’s actually on tour with us for a few days…”

“She’s become a really close friend of ours.” Kennedy said with a smile.

“I think we all talk to her on a n almost daily basis.” Jared said, looking at the others who all nodded in agreement.

“John for sure talks to her everyday, mostly cause he’s working on some secret projects with her…” Garrett said, looking at John with a teasing smirk as John just shook his head and laughed at Garrett’s childish antics.

“Sound ambiguous.” Mike said, with a chuckle. “Can we bring her in real quick? I just want to ask her a question that I think she’ll be most objective about.” He looked through the window making eye contact with Jamison who was surprised at his request.

“Sure.” Jared said not even inquiring Jamison’s response. “Get in here Jamison…” he gestured for her to come into the studio.

Jamison hesitantly went into the room as Kennedy gestured to the empty seat beside him. She took a seat as Andy, the sound engineer came into the room and handed her a pair of spare headphones along with an extra microphone.

“For those of you don’t know Jamison Song, she has produced and just worked with a plethora of artists from The Maine, obviously… Maroon 5, 3OH!3, Yellowcard, Cartel, Panic! At The Disco, Paramore, You Me At Six, Brendan Benson, Butch Walker, and so on… the list can go on forever and to top it all of she started when she was only 16. She’s made quite a mark so far and now she’s at the age—“ Mike said, looking over at Jamison to fill in the blanks for him.

“I’m 23.” She answered, with a timid smile.

“23, it doesn’t seem like she’s stopping anytime soon.” Mike said, “So, thanks for joining us Jamison.”

“Thank you for inviting me in.” She said, “That is quite an introduction… I don’t think I deserved it.” she chuckled nervously as she looked over at the guys who just smirked at her.

“So Jamison, what is it like working with these guys?” Mike asked, curiously reading off his notes filled with questions and notes.

“Horrible.” Jamison deadpanned, “I’m joking, it was awesome. They know how to have a good time even when working. It was one of the best times I had making a record with a band. I am not just saying that for the sake of saying that.” She said, into her microphone as she adjusted her headphones.

“Now, I don’t want to focus this Podcast too much on Jamison cause it is about The Maine—although I would love to have you on sometime.” Mike looked at Jamison with a hopeful smile.

“I would love to be on. I’ve been a fan of this podcast since the beginning. I told Ryan from Yellowcard I’d be here and he was making fun of how all my dreams were coming true.” She said, with a chuckle as the guys just laughed at Jamison’s confession.

“He did text me and told me that you were a huge fan.” Mike said, “Thank you for supporting this show.”

“Of course. I am more thankful for you and your magazine inspiring me so much when I was growing up.” She said praising Mike.

“Thanks so much…” He said genuinely touched by her kind words. “My question to you is— I know you are close to Matt Squire who did their first record. And for those of you who don’t know Matt Squire, he made that first Panic! At The Disco record, has worked with Boys Like Girls, All Time, and Demi Lovato to name a few… I’m sure he’s told you stories about these guys, how do you compare what you’ve heard to what you’ve actually experienced with them as a band?”

“Wow, that’s a good question…” She chuckled, as she took a moment to think about her answer. “I’ve been a fan of these guys since their first EP. And the stories I heard about these guys were when they were recording their first full-length and they were funny, enlightening, and a slew of other things. I mean this not in a mean way but Matt was saying since it was their first endeavor for most of the members—the whole band thing, recording, and being signed thing. It was like training a bunch of wound up puppies who tried to pretend they were dogs to impress Matt. Matt would give them these challenges like Kennedy mentioned earlier and Matt knew that they would try their hardest to rise to the occasion, and they did… and once they got the hang of it with Matt, everything clicked for them is what Matt told me and everyone else that we mutually know has only said good things about them, a term that is thrown around often by the “veterans” of the industry is—little brother. So, my initial impression has always been a good one.” She shook her head as she dazed off into her own world.

“So, being a fan as well as what you knew about them. How did you approach working with them on this album?” Mike asked, looking at Jamison curiously.

“Honestly, I wasn’t even supposed to work on this album. Brendan had kind of forced it upon these guys…” She said half jokingly causing everyone in the studio to laugh. “I think I went back to the beginning in a sense—challenged them like Matt did. It was their first experience recording by tape and I wanted it to be something they looked back on appreciating the whole process—the good, the bad, the new, and everything in between. Sometimes, I would purposely not try to break certain tensions in the studio to see how we’d all work off each other and things. Those 3 months were some of the best times I ever had in the studio because they are one of the few bands out there who make it happen—one way or another, whatever idea or vision they have. It becomes reality and something about that is just so… magical. And I was just so inspired by their work ethic and just as people. Working with them, it really has made me become a better producer. So all in all, my experience with The Maine is far beyond what I had anticipated it to be— it’s been a huge blessing.” She smiled looking at each of the members with an appreciative stare.

“Wow… that’s amazing.” Mike said, not expecting such a sincere answer.

“Good answer.” Garrett said,

“You can sleep on the bus tonight…” Jared said jokingly, as everyone began to laugh.

“So, how about we go on a music break—how about you guys pick two songs and we have Jamison pick two songs…” Mike said, “First song that was your like anthem on some of your first tours, the band van’s song and for Jamison I guess, a song that was important to you during your first recording sessions.”

“For us, I think it’s Weatherbox’s, “Trippin’ The Fantastic Life”—no doubt.“ Garrett said, looking around the room to see everyone nod in agreement.

“Like that song, just even thinking about it brings back memories from our first tours.” Pat said, adjusting his headphones.

“For me, it’s got to be Frou Frou’s “Let Go”—every night after recording I’d go back home and literally lay in bed and listen to this song.” Jamison answered.

“Alright, and one song that was important to you during recording the record this time around.” Mike asked, looking around at everyone in the room as they were thinking of a response.

“I wanna say… we listened to a lot of Bowie and The Rolling Stones.” Garrett said as he looked as his fellow members.

“Yeah, probably… I wanna say, “Brand New Car” by The Rolling Stones.” Kennedy answered.

“For me, Copeland’s “Control Freak”—I feel like that song was vital during the recording process for me. I have a lot of good memories associated with it.” Jamison answered as she looked over at John and gave him a quick smile, causing John to break out into a smile.

“Alright let’s go on our music break…” Mike said, as he began playing the tracks they had mentioned.

After they had finished recording the podcast it was onto the bus and onto the next city. It was already almost dawn when they had finished with the podcast and everyone besides Jamison and John had immediately crashed when they had gotten on the bus. John and Jamison sat around in the back longue having one of their infamous late night/morning chats.

“It’s really good having you here.” John said, as Jamison rested her feet on John’s lap.

“Good to be here…”

“I’m sad you’re basically leaving tomorrow after tonight’s show… time always feels like it’s going so far when you’re around.” He confessed with a sigh, he had always felt like he was being childish when he admitted he was sad Jamison would leave.

“I don’t know what to tell you each time you say you’re sad I’m leaving…” She sheepishly chuckled.

“I just need to say it. Just to put it out there.” He simply said, “That and… you’re a good person. One of my favorites.”

“Likewise.” Jamison smiled, giving John a thumbs up of approval.

“So, did you have fun?”

“Always.” She grinned. “This whole ‘resident babe’ thing has it’s perks. I got Joel carrying me wherever I need to go when I don’t want to walk, I get stories read to me by Justin, Halvo buys me sandwiches, and I always get the last snacks… can’t complain.”

“All the boys want Jamison Song…” John teased playfully smacking her shoulder.

“Hardly…” She rolled her eyes at his ridiculous comment. “Minus you, Pat, Eric, Sean, Justin, and Peter… everyone on this tour has a significant other. Although, I guess you guys and your bromances are “What happens on tour, stays on tour” thing we don’t talk about… ” She chuckled as her phone started to buzz. She looked at the text message that appeared on her phone screen and laughed.

“Who is texting you at this hour?” John said, realizing it was 3AM but mostly wondering if it was a guy who was texting her and if so, who.

“Jake Sinclizzle. You know him.” She smiled, staring at her phone and vigorously typing. Jake Sinclair was Butch’s right hand man in the studio (technically left on stage) and “life partner” as some fans and friends would say. “Work stuff. God, we’re such workaholics… I don’t know how I am keeping it together when I’m not working sometimes. I don’t know how Jake or Butch do it even when they’re on the road between all the Jameson consumed along with the other debauchery.” She laughed as she tossed her phone back into her pocket.

“Do you ever get jaded?” John asked, sincerely looking at her with a thoughtful expression as the mood shifted.

“By what?” She asked looking at him completely perplexed.

“By musicians…” He said, “You know, this lifestyle… the touring, the partying, the everything…”

“Nope.” She answered without hesitation.

“How?” He looked completely mystified by her answer.

“I’ve met shitty people in this industry as I am sure you have, I have heard stories about guys and their ways on the road, seen it with my own eyes at times. I get it to an extent… but if I just look at it depressingly—I don’t think I’d be able to do my job and be around people that I call friends.” She explained, “I’ve met some of the best people I couldn’t even hope to meet due to this life. I can only offer a helping hand when things get a bit shady, I can’t make them change their ways. Not unless they want to, but I feel like there are more good people out there in this industry than bad. I think the negative just gets all the attention…” She gave him a hopeful smile, wondering if her answer gave enough insight.

“I don’t know how you do it… stay positive in such a ruthless life.” He said, letting out a sigh.

“I don’t know either at times.” She admitted with a chuckle. “Funny thing is Butch told me I’d have to end up with a musician…” She shook her head and held back a laugh as she recalled the conversation she once had with Butch.

“Really?” He asked completely amused by her statement.

“He said something harmonious would come of it… pun intended.” She said, laughing hysterically as she recited Butch’s comment.

“He is a smart man.”

“He is…” She agreed, letting out a content sigh. “Who knows who I’ll end up with though— I could end up marrying like an accountant or something.” She shrugged

“I can’t imagine it.” John shook his head. “Not good enough for you.” He chuckled.

“What about you?

“What about me?” He looked at a bit confused by her sentiment. Did she mean him or…

“Does this life make you jaded? Do you think you’ll end up being alone? Washed out musician maybe? Or like the George Clooney of music? Never get married and just date around forever?” She asked with a look of anticipation for his answer.

“Sometimes I worry about being alone… I hope I don’t end up being the George Clooney of music, that would be… empty.” He said, sheepishly chuckling. “Nothing seems as satisfying if you can’t share it with someone extra special…”

“I hope you find that someone extra special soon.” Jamison said, giving him a hopeful smile.

He chuckled, shaking his head in agreement. “I do too.”

“As much as I love our talks, I am going to rest my eyes here cause I am too lazy to walk back to my bunk.” She yawned before completely laying on the couch and huddling into fetal position. “Goodnight John.” She said, before closing her eyes.

“Goodnight Jamie.” John said, smiling to himself as she almost immediately fell asleep next to him.

-----------

The band was in Austin, Texas and the tour was becoming something for the history books. It had been one of those tours that didn’t make any of the guys really feel homesick because everyone they had loved and cared about was on the tour or was visiting (constantly). After sound check John went on the bus and checked his email. He opened one of his many ongoing emails with Jamison and began reading one his daily joys.

To: John O’Callaghan
From: Jamison Song
Subject: Re: Untitled Project

So, we’re at the point with the two characters liking one another? Admitting their feelings? I don’t know I wrote this randomly while in the studio. When am I not working? I like work though… I kind of miss tour—baby wipe showers, story time with Justin, and shenanigans… but I came to Brendan’s studio today to hang out (i.e.: work). Brendan and everyone at the studio send their regards… but I know you all only miss me. Ha. I joke… kind of.

Either way, without further ado…

You’re so much more than how people see you, how I see you. You’re just as cool as the leather jackets and rock star boots you wear, yet—you’re vulnerable, raw, and… so many other things.

You like classic rock but still appreciate modern music as it taught you to re-appreciate the classics. You make awkward jokes that for some odd reason I find funny. Your fashion choices are mostly inspired by what’s on the sales rack at stores.

You don't really love the unnecessary attention that comes with your job at times, you don’t follow any real dietary or gym routines like most, you speak in a confident manner when talking about things you love and gently when speaking about yourself, and you strive for balance and moderation but you know and say that isn’t possible—not with the life you have, not with the life that you chose…

And for the most part, that’s okay with you. You wouldn’t trade anything you had nor would you know what else to do besides the life you have. You are who you are—a human being, eyes, hands, liver, brain, lungs, muscle, skin, bones, and a heart.

And that’s what I like about you.


I don’t know if it’s any good but if you write something better, I’ll work off of that. Even though I am gone and you don’t know what to do without me, be strong and carry on John…

But seriously, have a great show wherever you are. Behave yourself… and please drunk call me if possible—drunk John is the best John. I’m kidding… not really or am I? You’ll never know… or will you?

Love,
Jamison


John smiled to himself as he stared at the computer screen and read the email to himself repeatedly wondering how he should respond. He felt a surge of adrenaline and courage wash over him. If this was how the story was going to go, he would work it to his favor.

To: Jamison Song
From: John O’Callaghan
Subject: Re: Untitled Project

We are in Austin, Texas… so much BBQ. But oh so good… here’s my take on it.

You’re the type of person that is pretty straightforward when it comes to most things— I ask, you answer. You’ve never been drunk in you life, you laugh easily, and you’re generous with your sarcasm and smiles.

You like baking and cooking while blasting music from the classics to top 40 radio hits from all decades, and watching re-runs of old sitcoms and Saturday morning cartoons.

You use excessive hand gestures while talking hoping that will get your point across since you always seem to worry if anything you say makes sense. But you have a subtle confidence; it’s from the awareness of knowing who you are and always striving to learn more about yourself.

You aren’t afraid of the unknown, you’re more curious on when it’ll all happen. You always seem to say, “What you see is what you get” when it comes to describing yourself.

Sometimes, I don’t know what I’m seeing… and that’s what great. It’s one of the many reasons why I like you.


I wonder if you know that… I really like you.
I really like you Jamison.

And I know that’s lame to write in an email but I don’t know how else to tell you… phone doesn’t seem good enough, it’s probably better than an email but I don’t think I could have said these words to you, out loud. Maybe it’s just me but at least you can keep these words and read them over… and know, I mean them.

I like you Jamison Song.

John


John read the email to himself once and pressed send. A moment of worry and panic rushed over him. He wondered if he should have done it in person, or at least over the phone. But thought to himself, when else would he have time to tell her, he wondered when he would actually see her again. A mixed bag of emotions and anticipation for a reply, he stared at the computer screen till their tour manager Chris had told him he needed to get ready for their set.

John reluctantly went to do his set. The entire time having a slew of worries run through his head as he performed. He was sure his banter was more awkward than usual. After playing a set that seemed longer than usual and meeting fans. He quickly ran onto the bus to see a reply. He anxiously opened it and felt confused more than anything.

To: John O’Callaghan
From: Jamison Song
Subject: Re: Untitled Project

Hey,
July 27th… can a friend get guest listed and crash on your couch? It wouldn’t be right if I didn’t come to the last show of the 8123 tour, would it?

Jamison.


After feeling anxious through out the entire set, John read through the short email trying to decipher the nuance behind it but couldn’t figure it out. He immediately replied not knowing how else to respond.

To: Jamison Song
From: John O’Callaghan
Subject: Re: Untitled Project

You’re the boss, applesauce.

See you then,
John.


He had to wait another week before he saw Jamison… and he knew that would feel like the longest week ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: DUN DUN DUN… I hope you all are doing well and have a good week! But I think everyone who read this story ran away or something. Oh well, I don’t blame you—with my mad writers block and attempting and failing to crack out good chapters, it’s understandable.

Unedited and unapologetic about it for now… as always, feedback is appreciated but never required. Thank you for reading this and all that good stuff. It means a bunch, it really does. And woo 60 subscribers!!! How weird is that

Question of the day: Is anybody out there? Kidding… I don’t actually have one. I guess what were your top 3 albums/songs of 2013?