Sequel: Stealing Glances
Status: COMPLETE- Sequel Stealing Glance is up!

Making Hits for Your Heart

Track Three

It had been 3 weeks since pre-production. The guys spent another day in the studio tracking more demos along with mapping out the possible track listing for the album.

“So, these are the ones we’re putting in for sure…” Jared said, staring at the chalkboard in the recording room where they had scribbled down the tracks they had wanted for the album.

“Yeah… “Run” is still a maybe. I’m not too excited about that one.” Garrett said shaking his head.

“Me either.” Pat agreed.

“Alright, let’s get back to tracking some more demos…” Kennedy said, as everyone started getting their equipment ready.

The guys began sequencing another demo while Jamison was in the control room watching them intently through the large window. Making mental notes of songs they were tracking and how they were working. She was impressed by their work ethic—so determined.

“How’s it going?” Brendan asked, breaking Jamison’s concentration as he walked into the control room and took a seat next to her.

“They have a grasp on it but… they don’t seem completely sure.” She said, still looking through the window watching the guys track their demos. “They are also short on songs… but that’s not a big deal.”

“Out of the songs they are tracking, how many do you think are good enough to make on the album?” Brendan asked as he lit up a cigarette.

“Almost all of them… if they tweak a few of them, push their own envelopes a bit. The potential there seems endless.” Jamison answered finally looking over at Brendan, “I think they just need to play around more with ideas how songs should turn out. It seems too… analyzed in a sense and we’re in pre-pro right now.”

“Let’s see if we can change that…”

Brendan smirked getting up from his seat before putting out his cigarette on one of the many ashtrays around the studio. He walked into the recording room clapping his hands together causing the guys to stop playing their instruments and give their attention to Brendan.

“Alright guys what do you got for me?” Brendan asked, looking around waiting for someone to speak up.

“Uh…” Pat looked around at the other guys, not knowing what to say.

“Don’t think just show me…” Brendan said, snapping his fingers as he took a seat on the floor.

John got fiddled with his laptop for a moment before taking an internal breath, “This is “Run” but we’re not too sure about it…” He said then started playing the track.

After playing “Run” and a few other possible tracks for Brendan. They all sat around as carefully watched and waited for Brendan’s thoughts and suggestions.

“I like “Run” the best out of what you’ve shown me—I’m excited for it. I think if you guys go a bit darker with it yet keep it as upbeat as you have it. This will be an awesome track.” Brendan said, taking a drag from his cigarette.

“Alright. That sounds good.” Garrett said, liking Brendan’s suggestion for the song. It was nice for them to hear from an objective ear on their songs, especially with “Run” since it had seemed to be the one everyone was least excited about.

“I’ll be back and we’ll talk more about which songs to record and shit like that.” Brendan said getting up from the floor, “Don’t think too much, just do… none of this pre-pro scheduling and shit anymore. If there’s a good song that’s ready to record, we’ll do it… and figure out shit later if there is shit to figure out.” He threw up his hands in the air and laughed as he walked out without another word causing the guys to laugh-- Brendan was such a badass in their eyes.

After finishing another day of tracking demos the guys got back to the house as Pat and Jamison cooked dinner for everyone. Dinner and watching old re-runs of 90's sitcoms before everyone decided to call it a night.

John sat in his room going through some lyrics before attempting to sleep. Hours had passed and all John had been doing was tossing and turning in his bed in silence. He got up from his bed and grabbed a cigarette from his desk and headed out to the back patio. He took a seat on one of the cushioned chairs it took him a moment to realize he wasn’t alone—Jamison was sitting in the chair next to him, legs crossed staring out into the sky.

“Oh, I didn’t know anyone was out here…” John said, a bit startled by her presence.

“Should I leave?” She asked, breaking her gaze and looking at John completely straight-faced.

“No. No. I didn’t mean it like that I—“ He stuttered worried he had offended her.

“I was kidding… relax.” She cracked a smile, “Couldn’t sleep either?”

“Nope.” He shook his head, “What are you drinking?” He asked as he watched her take a drink from her cup.

“I want to lie and say scotch, you know for the street cred but it’s tea.” She said jokingly, as she watched John fiddle with the cigarette in his hand. “You can go ahead and smoke, I don’t mind… I actually find it soothing.”

“You like the smell of smoke but don’t smoke?” He asked with a small snicker as he put his cigarette in his mouth and lit it.

“Nope.”

“Weird.” He laughed shaking his head.

“Maybe cause Brendan is constantly smoking in the studio? I don’t know.” She chuckled not knowing how to word her thoughts, “So… is pre-production getting to you?”

“Yeah… I’m a bit— stuck for a better lack of term. Outlining how we want the song to be is harder than usual. Writing is harder than ever. I feel like if it wasn’t for Brendan kind of kicking out ass and just making us record cause he just “feels” the song, we wouldn’t have any work done. I mean it doesn’t feel wrong, this is going well but… I feel stuck.” He answered honestly, letting out a sigh before taking another drag of his cigarette.

“Why do you think that?”

“I don’t know… I think that’s what’s keeping me up. Not knowing.” He shook his head not knowing how to word his thoughts.

“Don’t doubt yourself too much or overanalyze it… music is a feeling more than anything. So just feel whatever comes and see where it takes you. I mean, nothing is set in stone right now.” She said trying to reassure him, “You guys seem too planned if that makes any sense. Have some fun with this new process, maybe something really amazing will come from it.” She smiled before taking a sip of her tea.

“Thanks, I needed to hear that.”

“I am here for you.”

“Is cook, middle of the night therapist, and basically pseudo mom part of your job description?” John asked jokingly with a lopsided smirk causing Jamison to chuckle.

“Not officially, but I’ll take it… I enjoy of taking care of people I work with.” She said, with a laugh as she was staring into her cup.

“Why is that?” He looked at her curiously as she took another sip of her tea.

“I mean, I started so young… if Matt didn’t look out for me and take care of me. I could’ve gone down an even more dangerous road.” She chuckled nervously, her statement intrigued John but he didn’t want to push it. “If he didn’t introduce me to everyone, I would’ve never had the opportunities I have now. You and I wouldn’t be having this conversation… if the people I worked with never looked out and taken care of me, I wouldn’t be who I am now. I am just doing what I know… what I feel is right.” She looked at John with a small smile. “And I have my own selfish reasons…”

“Which are?”

“It won’t be fun if I just told you right out. When the time comes, I’ll let you know… I’d like to think the idea of waiting for something makes it more exciting.” She gave him a tiny smirk before getting up from her seat, “Well, I’m going to re-attempt to go to bed. Goodnight John.” She said before walking back in the house.

“Goodnight Jamison…” He said quietly to himself watching her walk away.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: This what is a bit of a filler/shorter. But once again thank you for reading-- silent or not. This whole story is going to be kind of a slow build up, I hope you guys don't mind that... as always feedback is always super appreciated.

Also, here are some personal replies to comments:

swell- Thank you for your wonderful comment, and I totally agree to some extent about the prologue ending awkwardly but I didn't know how to end it not awkwardly? Haha but it's out there what's done is done. Thank you for your kind words!

everdeen- Thank you so much for your comment! I really love that you said that it feels real, that is what I was trying to go for (nothing is all drama drama drama all the time!) and I hope you continue to enjoy the story! (I am a fan of so much music too, it is ridiculous! So much good music in the world!)