‹ Prequel: Chain of Events
Status: Feeling depressed and I chose the title because that what it feels like right now. Don't bash me for what I feel. I changed it from NC-17 to PG-13 since my plans changed for this story.

My Heart's a Battleground

Promise

Tears continuously cascaded down her pale face from her crystal blue eyes. Ren had her knees pulled to her chest while sitting in the corner of her small cell. One minute, she was in Twilight Town then brought here to a mysterious castle and thrown into a cell by Saix. Why did it matter that Axel was seeing her and hanging out with her? Ren hoped that Saix wouldn't do anything to Axel. Judging from how cruel Saix was, he wouldn't care about anything. More tears streamed down her face as she thought about Axel. Where was he? Did he even care that she's gone? She was also upset because she lost her present to give Axel while running from Saix.

"Axel..." Ren sobbed quietly, "Where are you...?"

She had been in the cell for awhile now which made Ren start to think of horrible things. What would happen to her? What would happen to Axel? She wiped her eyes and noticed that a few people walked up to her cell. She saw Saix but couldn't recognize the others.

"So this little poppet is what's been distracting Axel?" the man with an eye patch and a scar running along his left cheek replied.

"Yes and a distraction indeed," Saix replied sternly, showing no emotion on his face.

"What are we planning on doing with her?" the man with short blonde hair and bright blue eyes asked.

"Xemnas and I agreed upon taking her heart to add to Kingdom Hearts. She possesses a strong heart full of love. Her Nobody will be exceptional," Saix explained.

Ren's eyes widened when Saix said he would take her heart. She bit her lip and watched both men smirk at her.

"Wait! You don't mean!? Flamesilocks and Poppet?" the man with the eye patch laughed.

"That's right, Xigbar," Saix said, "She is in love with Axel."

"Hahaha, as if!" Xigbar laughed then looked at Ren, "Poppet, he's a Nobody. He can't love you nor would he ever."

Ren glared at Xigbar and felt more tears well up in her eyes. He was wrong. Ren knew deep down in her heart that Axel did have feelings for her. Ren still didn't care if Axel could love her back or not, that didn't change how she felt about him. Xigbar couldn't help but smirk at her teary glare, "If we get a Nobody outta her, hopefully she'll join us and then I can see that look more."

The man with short blond hair rolled his eyes with a sigh, "You are a moron, Xigbar."

"Same goes for you, Card Boy!" Xigbar growled.

Xigbar and the other guy began to walk away, leaving Saix and Ren alone. Saix continued to stare at Ren, making her feel uneasy. She hated this man so much right now.

"I'm keeping you alive now to lure Axel into our trap," Saix piped up, "Don't think I'm showing you any mercy or compassion. Your heart will belong to us soon."

Saix walked away and summoned a couple Berserker Nobodies to guard her. Ren buried her face into her arms and sobbed. She wanted everything to be ok. She wanted Axel safe and just to be with him. Why did it matter so much that Axel came to see her? She wanted to go back to the time where she was sitting on Twilight Town's train station clock tower with Roxas and Axel, sharing ice cream. She didn't even know where Roxas was now either. She felt so alone right now.

)~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~(

Axel knew that he had to be extremely careful now in the castle. He kept blaming himself for being careless and not protecting Ren. He had to get her back no matter what the cost. Axel vowed to himself that he would do anything for Ren even if it cost him his own life.

Around almost every corner, Axel had to fend himself off from Dusks. He knew that Saix was after him. Getting through the castle was not going to be easy. He had to be very stealthy, especially so that the other members wouldn't find out. Axel hoped that they didn't do anything to Ren. If she had even one scratch on her, Axel would kill the one who did it.

Axel figured that Saix would take her to the cells like he did with Kairi. Axel then stopped when some Dusks appeared in front of him. He glared at them and began to take them down with his flaming chakrams. Axel ran towards the holding cells and managed to come upon one with two Berserker Nobodies guarding it. He looked past them to see Ren in the corner, curled up and crying. Axel was relieved to see her but was angry that Saix had upset her and scared her like this.

Axel set his chakrams on fire and threw them at each Berserker, instantly killing them. Ren sniffed as she looked up, wondering what happened. She noticed that the guards that Saix left behind were destroyed. What was going on? She wiped her eyes then saw the familiar spiky redhead running towards her. She smiled and ran to the bars.

"Axel!" Ren cried happily.

"Ren! Are you all right?!" Axel asked as he placed his hands on her face, "Did Saix hurt you? Are you hurt at all?"

Ren shook her head, "I'm all right. I'm so happy you're here..."

"Stand back. I'll get you out," Axel replied.

Ren stepped back then covered herself. Axel managed to break open the cell with his fire and chakrams. Ren then stood back up and ran towards Axel. She wrapped her arms tightly around him while crying on his chest. Axel frowned but held her tightly to him, closing his eyes. He was glad she wasn't hurt and he found her in time. Axel then pulled away a little to look at her, "Let's get out of here."

Ren nodded and Axel took her hand as he made a portal of darkness. They both made it back to Twilight Town safely. Ren was happy that they were back in Twilight Town but she was still afraid. Even though she didn't know Saix well, she knew that he wouldn't let her and Axel get away like that. Right now, she was happy that Axel actually came to save her. Once they were safely back to Roxas's house, Axel checked to make sure that it was safe. When he looked back at Ren, he could see tears in her eyes but she was smiling.

"What's wrong?" Axel asked worried, "Are you sure you're all right, Ren?"

She threw her arms around his neck, not letting him go, "You came for me..."

Axel's face lightened a little and held her close, "Of course, I did... why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know... I was just afraid..." Ren replied tightening her grip a little, "Saix was using me as bait to get to you... once he said he would deal with you... he was going to take my heart and turn me into a Nobody."

Axel nearly froze when she told him what Saix had planned. He shut his eyes tightly in anger but caressed Ren's back lightly, "I promised I would keep you safe... I'm sorry I broke that promise..."

Ren pulled back to look into Axel's eyes, "You came for me... when you found out I was missing, you came looking for me... You kept your promise."

Axel smiled weakly at her then noticed the frown on her lips, "What's wrong?"

"I had bought you a present... but... I dropped it when Saix grabbed me..." Ren replied sadly, "I thought it would show you how I feel..."

Axel then dug into his pocket to pull out the pendant, presenting it to her, "You mean this?"

Ren's eyes widened as she looked at it, "Where did you find it?"

"Outside the front door," Axel replied looking at it and held it close to his chest, "That's what gave me the idea that you were kidnapped. You wouldn't be careless like that."

Ren smiled at the way Axel held the pendant. She then placed her hands over his while lifting her gaze to his eyes, "You have my heart, Axel."

Axel looked back into her eyes and seeing the smile on her face. Axel could feel that familiar tingling in his chest but it was stronger this time than it has before. He knew this is what Ren was feeling for him. He now knew what Roxas meant by being lucky by having Ren. So slowly over time, Axel started feeling love. Ren was the one who made him feel complete. He didn't need Kingdom Hearts to be complete again. All he needed was Ren.

Axel lifted his free hand to place it on Ren's cheek as he looked into her eyes, "Ren, I..."

Before Axel could say anything else, Dusks appeared in the room. Ren gasped and held Axel, looking at the Nobodies in horror. Axel summoned his chakrams and destroyed the Dusks. He looked down at Ren, "It's not safe here! We have to get away!"

He then took her hand and ran outside but were greeted by more Dusks along with Dancer and Berserker Nobodies. Axel pushed Ren behind him as he glared at the Nobodies, "Get out of my way!"
♠ ♠ ♠
It's starting to wind down to the big finale! Again, thank you to the lovely therevsbartendingjeh for commenting! You're awesome and this is again dedicated to you! <3 I had tons of fun writing this chapter! Xigbar and Luxord made me giggle XP