Status: Temporary hiatus

Stop Drowning Me Please

Dead Beat

I woke up to whispers around me. I cracked open my eyes to see my uncles and aunts surrounding me, Brian hushing them. I opened my eyes and raised an eyebrow. “What are you guys doing in here?”

Johnny threw confetti at me. “Happy birthday!” They all shouted. Zacky and Gena blew on those things that roll out and make noises.

I smiled up at them all. “Awe.” Matt picked me up and swung me over his shoulder, making me squeal and the rest of them laugh. He carried me down to the kitchen where there were balloons everywhere and streamers on the ceiling. He put me in my chair and put a plastic crown on my head.

“Now announcing the birthday girl! Princess Kimmy, officially seventeen years old as of three AM this morning!” He shouted.

I laughed. “You were a pain in the ass even as an infant,” Johnny told me, grinning. I pushed him and smiled. “Love ya, kid.” He ruffled my hair.

“Alright, we need pictures!” Val shouted. “Shut the fuck up, now, or else!” She yelled when no one shut up the first time. I grinned at the pregnant woman as everyone quieted. She smiled. “Alright, first one of the princess.” She snapped a photo of me making a goofy face.

“And one of all the girls,” Matt said, swiping the camera from Val. My aunts all gathered around me and we all smiled at Matt.

“Aright, uncles, get in there,” Gena commanded, taking the camera from Matt. He rolled his eyes and my uncles all got around me. We all made faces at the camera, making Gena roll her eyes. “Now we need everyone…Val, work your fucking camera.” Gena held it out.

Val rolled her eyes and set it up on the counter, to see us all. “Alright, squeeze in everyone. We have ten seconds and this one is not going to be blurry.” She pointed at all of us.

“Come on, Auntie Val. Move your pregnant butt over here.” I grinned. She laughed and pressed a button before waddling over. We all grinned - or made faces - at the camera before it went off. “Are we sending these to my dad? Show him what he’s missing and all?” I asked, smiling as a plate of breakfast was set before me.

“’Course,” Matt answered. “Now eat your bacon, before I do.”

I shielded my plate. “You wouldn’t dare!”

He grinned, showing off his dimples. “I won’t…For now. Hurry up, we have stuff to do today. Since we don’t have any other kids, yet, we have to spoil you.”

“Loving the way you said “have” as in, you don’t want to,” I said before biting into my bacon.

Val rolled her eyes and sat by me. “You know Matt, he means well, even if he can’t get his words together.”

Lacey sat on my other side. “Most guys are like that.” She gave a pointed look at Johnny, smiling.

“…I’m like that! I can’t speak words good!” My family all laughed around me as we began to eat. Brian, Michelle, and I were the only ones who lived here, but the lot of us hung out together no matter what. We usually spent most time here or at Matt and Val’s, since she was making her home all homely for the baby.

I gasped when Zacky tossed some scrambled egg at me and grabbed my biscuit getting ready to throw it at him. “Throw that and I will sit on you!” Val threatened, narrowing her eyes at me.

I gaped at her. “But… Zack started it!” I pouted, putting the bread down. “He should get a time out.” I nodded once, deeming it so.

Gena grinned and plopped down on Zacky’s lap. “There.” She laughed as I held my hand out for a fist-bump. Zacky rolled his eyes at me, a smile on his face.

“Oh! Guess what I have!” Lacey shouted, a sly look on her face. I looked up at her to see her pull a little can out of her back pocket. She shook it up a bunch before uncapping it and spraying Johnny’s back and neck all over with the Silly-String.

I laughed as Johnny jumped up and looked at his girlfriend before chasing her around the kitchen, Lacey continuing to spray him with the string. I giggled as I got hit with some of the ricochets. “Gotcha!” Johnny shouted, grabbing Lacey around the waist.

“Get a room!” Zacky shouted, throwing more eggs at them.

“Unless you plan on cleaning up the eggs, stop throwing them,” Michelle commanded, coming into the kitchen. She grinned at my family members. “Surprise one is all ready.”

I bounced in my chair. “What is it?? Is it a car?!” I demanded, looking at all their faces.

Matt scoffed. “Yeah, like we’d get you a car.” He ruffled my hair.

I pouted up at him. “Meanie… I didn’t even crash the car! You warned me before I could, remember?”

“Scared me enough!” I huffed air at my bangs. “So how should we show her?”

“Why not the normal way?” Val asked, rolling her eyes, as she started to clean up. “You know, take her outside and let her scream.”

All the guys scoffed and Lacey did as well. “That’s not how you do it,” Michelle agreed. “We gotta build up the anticipation.”

“No,” I whined, pouting. “Anticipation bad.” A smile grew on my face as I hopped up from my chair and ran to go out front, thinking about what Val had said.

I got my hand on the doorknob before I was lifted up by Brian. “Nope.” I tried to squirm out of Brian’s arms, whining. “Come on, guys.” Matt shoved a pillow in front of my face and we all went outside, Brian still holding me and Matt making sure the pillow covered my face.

“We ready?” I heard Gena ask. I could hear the grin in her voice. “One…Two…Three!” Brian dropped me onto my feet and Matt took the pillow away from my face, letting me see a brand new truck.

“Oh my fucking god!” I yelled, rushing forward to the big vehicle. I wasn’t into flaunting money around, as my family knew, and I liked the big Ford that was in front of me. “You…You so got me a car!”

“Nu-huh,” Matt said, coming up to put the keys in my hand. “This is a truck.” He grinned at me. I punched his arm and hugged him. “Well, what’re you waiting for? Get in.”

I nodded and went to the drivers side and opened the door. Inside was a basic interior, making me happy. I wasn’t into flashy things… Simple was good for me. I hopped into the seat and wiggled into my seat. “Oh my goodness…” I had a huge grin on my face as I ran my hands all over my new baby.

“Pst. Check the glove box,” Lacey said, grinning. I nodded and leaned over to open the glove box. I pulled out an envelope and opened it to find a check from my dad with a birthday card. It was a pretty simple one, messy hand writing and a face at the end. It basically said that he loved and missed me and he was still super sorry he wasn’t here. After 17 years of cards saying the same thing, I wasn’t really believing it… But the check was for $150, so that was nice…

I got out of my new truck, envelope in hand. “It’s getting kinda lame, you know? I’d like to see him for once.” Johnny frowned before a small smile lit up his face and he was about to say something. “And not from pictures…” Val looked up at Matt, a sad look on her face. I didn’t like that face, I wanted her happy…I hated when any of my family members were sad. I shook my head. “I’m sorry, Auntie Val…” I went over to her and hugged her side. “Wanna spoil me until I’m a cavity?” I asked, smiling up at her.

She smiled and hugged me back the best she could with her baby-lump. “Mmkay. I can do that.” She kissed the top of my head. “Now…Tackle Uncle Mattie.”

I grinned and nodded and pounced on my uncle, wrapping my legs around him. He laughed and we continued to goof off in the California heat, enjoying my birthday.

Though, at the back of my mind, I was still thinking of my dead beat dad…
♠ ♠ ♠
Not loving this chapter as much as the first one, but I'll leave it to you all. Two subscribers? Makes me happy~