Bruises in Miniature Form

Flourists to Daryl

“So you’re chicken too?” He continued to mock me, following after me even though I was making it quite obvious how much avoidance I was trying accomplish.

Every time I seemed to ignore any of his efforts he just got more excited, bounding on his heels to catch up to my side and laugh silently.
Ignoring Maxwell Green is like trying to stop a little child from eating sugar, virtually impossible.

“You know chicken might not be the right word for you though... maybe...”
“You know what Max you’ve got my attention, now what do you want?” I seethed clenching my hands at my sides as he now grew pleased with himself, “I just want to make sure you know the rules Newt”
“Yeah I got the rules, everything belongs to you,” I snapped now advancing towards him, “But let’s get one thing straight, I will only put up with you for so long”

My comment must have sparked something since he backed off and retraced his steps back to the counter top in the store.
Well he knew I was upset that was for sure, the idiot knew how to rile a person up.
I decided to wait outside for the rest of the time period mother and Rick left for us, just scuffing my shoes against the sidewalk until Rick’s white Toyota pulled up.
I stared down at my wrist wishing I didn’t misplace my watch after the move even more.
A few couples holding hands passed by me during my quiet stance.
I loved to watch people together, watch how they interacted with the other as weird as that sounded.
Mother said I got it from my dad, told me that he used to love sitting on a bench in the park and ‘study’ how people just carried on with their lives.
I think that must have been what attracted my father and Daryl together, their interests were compatible.
When I heard a car pull up in front of me I glanced to see the white Toyota with the two familiar heads staring out at me.

Rick rolled down his window and stuck his head out, giving me a grin all the while, “Where’s Max at?”
“Inside, I needed a break” I bit down on my lip when Rick frowned at my answer.
“Right well ‘round him up and we’ll get going, we’re going to catch some food near the new Denny’s”

I cheered happily inside, doing as instructed and fetching Max who sat on a stool flipping pages of a book.
My happy mood had suddenly down casted.
Did I make him feel this bad?
My gut twisted as I rung my fingers together, watching how his back slumped forward ever so slightly and eyes dropped half way down.

“Hey Max...” I spoke trying to keep my voice even and quiet as to not bother or upset him more.
He inclined his head up and twisted a frown my way, “Yeah?”
“They’re here... um... listen can I... I want to apologize for what I said if I hurt your feelings,” His eyebrow raised in confusion and I didn’t need to know why, “I mean something must be upsetting you so it’s not your fault and... just sorry”
He sighed slowly getting up from his seat and walking over to me, “God your an idiot”

I gaped at his back as he walked past, hands in pockets as his shoulders stayed slumped.
His feet shuffled out the door and the jingling subsided before I began thinking, ‘did he even actually accept my apology?’
I shook my head sadly to clear my thoughts before running out after him, pulling the back door open and climbing inside to the seat.
Rick started the engine again and pulled out, thankfully flipping on the radio so I wouldn’t have to worry about any sort of conversation with the brooding male beside me.

“Alright what do you two want to eat? We have to run in and pick it up since I’ve got a meeting at work for five”
“I’m not too hungry right now” I sighed avoiding eye contact with my mother who gave me a worried stare.
“Alright... Max?”
“Just the usual I guess” He was so polite and nice to Rick and my mother... maybe I’m just intruding?

Rick nodded and pulled up to the Denny’s, already having an order from my mother he walked up alone to get the food for everyone.

“So did you two have fun?”
“Yeah, although this guy had greasy ass hair” Max chuckled, lying through his teeth... unless he himself had fun since I didn’t have any of the sort.
“Oh?”
Max nodded again, “Um... Mrs. Jasper”
“It’s just Ms, darling and you can call me Ericka”
He nodded again like a bobble head, “I was just wondering if it’s alright with you that I’m staying for a few days?”
Sympathy, Is that what he wants? “Oh Max don’t worry about it at all, I like having you around its nice having another boy here. Plus Newton needs friends”
Max laughed, “Well I’ve got to visit a few of my friends soon, I should drag her along”
“I’m right here you know” I sighed rubbing at my temples.
“Newton are you alright?”
I shook my head keeping my gaze down at my feet, “No I don’t feel good right now Ma’...”

My mother frowned before adjusting herself in the passenger seat to turn around and look at me.
Her hand reached out and brushed my bangs up out of the way of my face to check for a fever.
Her worried face flushed slightly, something she always did when I was sick.

“Alright when Rick comes back we’ll get you straight home and I’ll fix you up something while you catch some sleep”

-------- ------

I’m starting to think I’m the only one who loves those shirts that end up down to your ankles and go way past your hands, the ones that no matter how much I roll them up still end up too long.
Even back home my friends laughed at them, mocking me whenever I shuffled around my room, hair all frizzled and shirt trailing after me on the old carpet floors.
Secretly I loved them only because my dad purposely bought them for me, I would never admit it to him that I knew the real reason he bought them for me after all it would ruin his fun.
He loved to think of me as his baby girl and hell I liked being his baby girl.
A knock sounded at my door as I tried desperately to pull the long sleeves up my tiny arms, glancing up to see my mother enter holding a small tray of orange juice of soup.

“How are you feeling tea cup?”
“Tired” I answered honestly, brushing my bangs away from my eyes to stare at my blinds which had been drawn back to block out the sun.
“Well, try to eat a little bit and catch some sleep. I’ll come back and check on you in a few minutes...”

I looked back to my mother, watching her tuck a blonde strand of hair behind her ear sadly, her feet shifting nervously.
She always did this whenever she had something she wanted to talk to me about but didn’t quite know how to say...
Exactly what she did when she brought Rick into our lives.
I leaned forward, arching my back so I could pat at the end of my bed for her to sit down on.

“Alright talk to me ma” She sat down as instructed and gave me a beaming smile.
“I’m so proud of you Newton. I would never have been able to handle moving out here and turning my whole life upside down without you beside me”
“Ma’ you’re not going to start crying are you?” I smiled while tipping my head to the side, watching her sniffle and shake her head slowly.
“No, no. I’m fine. Now you get better alright”
“Hey ma’... can I phone dad? I just feel like I need to talk to him”

My mother nodded in her place, waiting a few minutes as if relishing the moments where she sat.
Obviously done with relishing in moments she got up and left, returning a few minutes later with the cordless phone.
She reminded me to get some rest before leaving me alone with the door closed.
My fingers punched in the numbers that I knew by heart and I held the phone to my ear, waiting for the ringing to stop and my father’s voice float on through.

The ringing continued before a lively voice sang down the line, "Ai!! Finally you phone!!!”
I grinned sheepishly as the voice continued, “How’s your little Newton been hmm?”
“I’ve been alright Daryl” I chuckled as he went silent for a moment then made a strange cheering noise.
“Ah dahling so glad you phoned! You’re papa has been jaywalking around everywhere thinking he would be late to see you!”
I giggled imagining exactly what Daryl had told me, “I’m not feeling well right now though... can I talk to my daddy, Daryl?”
“Oh hunny, I’m sorry. He’s busy in a meeting...”
“Okay, that’s alright... I’ll see him when he comes up then” I replied cheerfully, still happy to talk to Daryl none the same.
“My, my you sound so much like your mother now a day’s Newton”
“I do?”
I could practically hear him swinging his head up and down, “Of course, I’ll be coming with your Papi too”
I grinned cheekily as the thoughts of a paint fight started up, “Then we’ll have to celebrate too huh?”
“Of course! Now I must go right now, the phones have been ringing off the hook and my attention span can only last so long”

I chuckled lightly and said my goodbyes, feeling a little better knowing my dad was thinking about me.
Dad would be excited to meet Rick and see mom again and I was pretty sure Daryl would put Max in his place.
My smile lasted for the few hours I laid silent on my bed, going over all the new things in my life.