‹ Prequel: Cracks in Reality
Status: Active

Painting Virgin Skin

With You

On the train on my way to Nick’s house I try not to think about how mortified I am over poking his nose. What kind of person says bye by poking someone else's nose? I bury my face in my hands and sigh. I listen to the shouts coupled with a baby cries and wonder how could anyone really love this place? It’s so noisy and dirty. I bite my lip and look up, seeing we are a stop away from Marcy, the stop I get off at. I get up; ignoring the dirty look I am getting from an angry looking lady and stand by the door. This city was like a monument to how different Nick and I were. I loved country life, he hated it. He only made that place his part time home so that he could be close to Ruby. He loves Ruby with all his heart, he is always joking that it’s just her and his mom that he will ever love. I hate when he jokes like that, it makes me feel like I shouldn’t even bother to trying with him.

I walk briskly down the strange yet familiar streets; Nick had already lived here when I found him for Ruby. I can’t believe that was six years ago. She and I had just turned thirteen and Ruby really wanted a piercing. She swore up and down that it would be the coolest thing if we both got one. I, of course, would not get a piercing. Ruby would get two to make up for me not getting one. After that day Nick and Ruby were like one person. You would rarely see one without the other. Of course that also meant that Ruby was always in trouble. Before her parents found us Ruby was boarder line being kicked out of the group home. I roll my eyes just remembering all the hassle I would go through to cover that girl’s rear end. I turn on south second and shiver; I hate this place almost as much as I love it. On this very block was where I saw Nick kissing some brunette in a cheer leading uniform. I was fourteen; and it so happened to happen during my first week of high school. The very next day I tried out for my school’s cheer leading squad. I guess that should have been a red flag that I was really into Nick. To be honest, at the moment I was discovering my love for the sport so I didn’t think much of it.

Gosh, how long has this boy been the center of my affections? I turn onto his block and freeze when I reach the front of his brownstone. My eyes take in the very familiar building and my heart pounds. The memories this place held. I look towards the basement and a small sign still hangs above the window advertising Nick’s tattoo shop. The only thing new about that sign is the schedule for when he was available in this state. Other than that, I could almost see Ruby and I standing in front that sign wondering what to do next. I smile just thinking about it. Then I feel hands cover my eyes and I start freaking out inwardly, thinking of a million ways I could die right now. I feel my heart galloping in my chest until my mind sends me a recognition signal from these fingers. They belonged to Nick, so I smile to myself and kick him. He doesn’t even flinch instead he leans in close to my ear and whispers:

“Guess who?” I could feel his lips slightly brush against my ear.

“I have no idea.” I bite my lip and try not to think about how close Nick is to me right now.

“You have to guess,” he laughs lightly, getting a kick out of this.

No pun intended.

“Hmm, give me some hints.” I am trying very hard to ignore the difficult time I am having with my lungs at the moment.

“Well I am incredibly handsome and I love tattoos.” His lips weren’t helping in the breathing department either.

“Nope, doesn’t ring any bells but I think you might get along with a friend of mine. His name is Nick, he loves tattoos, and in fact he is a tattoo artist. I could introduce you guys if you tell me who you are.”

He drops his hands from my face and I try not to feel disappointed with the space that is now between us. I turn towards him and he is beaming at me from ear to ear. I wonder what had him smiling so big. I feel the butterflies in my stomach go mad and I giggle nervously. I mentally kick myself. I am such a dork and so obvious. Nick doesn’t react to me he just motions for me to follow him into the house. When I walk into the living room, I see that he has a whole vacation command center set up. Both his parents wave at me before leaving to work, throwing a highlighter at Nick while they walked out. On the table were subway maps, tour guide books, pens, blank papers, the highlighter, snacks and a laptop open to hop stop. Nick throws himself on the love seat and opens a bag of chips.

“So what do you want to do first?” He says in between bites.

‘To kiss you,’ I thought to myself, ‘first I would really really like to kiss you.’

I blush at my own thought, “Well you know I want to go to central park. I would like to go to Times Square, oh maybe see a show. The Wax museum for sure! I heard they fixed up Brooklyn Bridge Park nicely so that would be cool too.”

He looked at me so coolly and I feel like that thirteen year old girl again. I was so unsure how to act with his eyes on me; I look around until I decide to sit down. While I am backing up towards the couch I trip over who knows what and I fall. I mean, like on my face. I can feel the blush from embarrassment creep up over my body. I really won’t be winning him over at this rate. I hear him laughing from the chair and I chuckle a little too.

“A…Arr..e,” he gasps for air through his laughter, “are you okay?”

“Yeah,” I lift my head off the carpet, grateful for the cushion it provided for the fall. “I am okay, this carpet saved my life.”

“You have to be the most klutzy cheerleader I have ever met.” I get up and sit on the couch, hoping that I am not blushing. He looks up at me, a wicked smile on his face. “Do you remember the third day we were in Montana and we went to get breakfast together, how you tripped and spilled milk all over that little boy?”

Now I was blushing, “how could I forget?”

“That was so funny,” he wipes mock tears off of his face. “You really are the best Dixie.”

My heart leaps into my throat and my stomach does a dance. He said I was the best. He phone rings and he smiles at the screen.

“I have to take this. Start making the list without me.” He gets up and starts walking into the other room. “Hey girl, you miss me?”

I felt the momentary joy deflate as I heard him flirting shamelessly with whoever was on the other line of that phone.