Trust the Instinct

008:

“I’m so sorry, Lexi, I didn’t know that Derek was going to take you,” Scott said as he apologized to me for the millionth time.

“Just please, stop talking about it- I just want to forget-“

“You can’t forget!” Scott said and I jumped because he scared me, “I’m sorry, please Lexi, be patient with me.”

“Scott, why- How- What in the world happened to you?!” I asked as Scott bandaged my rope burned wrists and ankles. Scott told me how he and Stiles were in the world the night before the first day of school, how they were there looking for the body that the two joggers found. Stiles’ father had found him and Scott hid behind a tree, walking the woods alone when the coast was clear. He told me about the dear, about the weird animal that bit him, which he soon learned to be an alpha wolf.

“We thought that Derek was the one that bit me, but I’m not so sure about that now,” Scott said and I nodded my head, “Look, I need you to keep this secret,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head, “I’m not going to hurt you, I protect my friends.”

I gave him a small smile and nodded my head, “I’m going to try and freak out when I’m around you, but this is big Scott, you’re not human-“

“Well, technically I’m half human,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head, “So will you help me out?”

“I can try, but if things get too out of control, I’m backing out,” I said and Scott nodded his head.

“All right agreed,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“All right, catch me up to speed, what’s going on with Derek?” I asked, knowing that I was mostly likely going to regret this whole decision.

“Well-“ the door burst open and Stiles ran into the room.

“What did you find? How did you find it? Where did you find it? And yes, I’ve had a lot of Adderall, so- What is she doing here?” Stiles blurted out his eyes blinking really fast and my eyes were wide of his lack of barely speaking English.

“I found something at Derek Hale’s when were outside, when you were inside getting Lexi, and she’s here because her wrists were bothering her and she was afraid to go to the hospital,” Scott said and Stiles gave an awkward wave.

“Hey Lexi.”

“Hi Stiles,” I said and Stiles sat on the bed next to me and looked at Scott.

“So what did you find?”

“There’s something buried there, I could smell blood,” Scott explained and I sighed, just letting the two of them talk it out.

“That’s awesome!” Stiles cheered and I looked at him like he was crazy, “I mean, that’s terrible. Whose blood?”

“I don’t know,” Scott said as he cleaned up the bandage supplies and handed the bag to me, “Change them once a morning and they’ll heal pretty well,” he said and I thanked him and nodded my head, “But when we do, you dad nails Derek for the murder. And then you help me figure out how to play lacrosse without changing. Because there’s no way I’m not playing that game.”

“What if Derek didn’t do it?” I asked as Scott went back to talking about the body.

“What? How can you defend-“

“I’m not defending him!” I hissed towards Stiles, “I’m just asking, what if it isn’t him.”

“Then we have a serious problem,” Scott said and I sighed and shook my head.

“Not like we don’t have one now,” I muttered and Scott sighed.

“You should head home to get some sleep, we’ll be over later to talk to you about what we found,” Scott said and I stood up, rubbed my face and nodded my head.

“You know where I live-“

“We brought you home, remember?” Stiles said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“Right, right, I’m going, call me when you find something,” I said and then walked out of Scott’s room, headed out of his house and over towards me bike.

It didn’t take me long to get home, I had skipped school today, not feeling well enough to go, still freaked out after what had happened yesterday. Stiles had apparently brought me who after dropping Scott off at the school to drive my bike home, something I wasn’t happy about.

I basically stayed in bed all day today, that was until my ankles and wrists started to hurt me, they were burned from the rope that was tightly tied around them. I knew that if I went to the hospital, people would ask a lot of questions that I didn’t feel like answering, so I just called Scott up and asked for help.

-Stiles-
“What are you doing?” I asked as Scott and I climbed into the jeep after leaving the hospital and finding out that the other half of the body that was in the morgue, was the same half that Scott had found on Derek’s property.

“I’m calling Lexi,” he said and I sighed, “What?”

“She’s freaked out enough, let the poor girl sleep,” I said and Scott shook his head.

“No, she wanted me to call her, so I am,” he said and I sighed and then turned on my jeep, “Huh.”

“What?”

“She didn’t answer,” he said and I looked at him worriedly, “You don’t think-“

“No,” I said and shook my head, ‘…This girl couldn’t have been taken again…’ I thought and stared at me steering wheel, “Maybe she slept through the ring.”

“Maybe,” he said and now he got me really worried.

“Dammit,” I muttered as I pulled out of the parking spot and headed in the direction of Alexis’ house.

We pulled in front of the home and saw that there were some lights on, but not a lot. The front porch light was on so I wondered if anyone was home.

“Come on,” Scott said and we walked out of the jeep and headed for the front door. There wasn’t a car in the driveway, so I wondered if her Grandmother was home. Scott knocked on the door and I rang the doorbell, “Lexi!”

We stood in front of the door a few more minutes before Scott leaned against the door and was about to say something, but the door opened and Scott fell forward and onto the ground.

“Are you all right?!” I asked and then looked up to see a sleepy Alexis was in front of us. I sucked in a breath of her in short shorts and a sports bra, “H-h-h-h-h-hi,” I managed to get out and then awkwardly waved towards her as Scott stood up and gave her a smile, turning his head.

“It’s night time, it’s sleep time,” Alexis said and I sighed and smacked Scott’s shoulder.

“I told you to let her sleep,” I said and then blushed a little when I looked to see how much skin was exposed.

“Did you guys find something?” Alexis asked and I saw the bandages around her wrists and ankles and frowned, thinking of the idea of her being hurt made me feel sad.

“Yeah, you’re not going to believe this!”

“Oh there are a lot of things that are popping up that I shouldn’t believe in,” Alexis said as she moved out of the way and let us in, “So what do we need to do?”

“We?” I asked and Alexis looked at me and nodded her head.

“I’m a part of this now, so yeah Stiles, ‘we’,” she said and I looked at Scott shocked, but saw that he wasn’t, like he knew that she had decided to help, “So what do we need to do?”

“We need to get shovels,” Scott said and Alexis looked at us confused.

“There’s two out back,” she said and Scott nodded his head and walked towards the backdoor, leaving Alexis and I in the room alone.

“Why are you helping us?”

“What? You’re not the only one that can be helpful,” she said and I shook my head.

“You were terrified before, what changed?”

“Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m terrified,” she said and then took a step closer towards me, “But being terrified isn’t going to help our friend fix whatever mess is going on in our hometown, Stiles,” Alexis said and then turned around and headed for the kitchen, asking Scott if he needed help.

‘…You’re one impressive girl, Alexis…’