Status: Formerly 'The Path of Self Destruction.' Sorry, I changed the name again ;p

Even the Sun Sets in Paradise

'Not Avoiding Me Are You?'

By the time Thursday arrived, Mel was bouncing off the walls with excitement. I was absolutely dreading it since Ellis had warned me the majority of people there would be high, and there was the added pressure of having to socialise, but Mel was looking forward to it so much and I felt bad letting her down. We’d gone to the nail bar after school which was nice, so I guess it wasn’t all bad.
“You look amazing,” Mel squealed as I straightened my hair. I was wearing a blue floral dress, blue wedges and my usual bracelets. (http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=94207603 ) Auntie Julie had bought me the dress and I’d fallen in love with it so I’d decided this was the perfect occasion to wear it.
“Thank you,” I smiled, “But I assure you, you look a hundred times better.”
“Don’t kid yourself,” she winked, picking up her bag as we headed for the door.
“Finally,” Ellis sighed, rolling his eyes jokingly as we dashed down the stairs.
“Well you don’t want us looking like tramps do you?” I laughed.
“Jenna, I got ready in five minutes and I don’t look like a tramp,” he said simply.
“You sure about that?”
“Excuse me?” he frowned, glaring at me suspiciously.
“Take a look in the mirror,” I joked, and he lightly punched me in the arm.
“You cheeky bitch,” he chuckled to himself as we piled into his car and headed to the lake.

When we arrived, there was already a group of about ten people hanging around the bonfire. Cyrus leapt up and ran over, offering us all beers. Of course, I refused and so did Ellis to keep me happy. Mel took a beer, but I hoped she would be sensible and not have too much. Much to my dismay, she instantly ran over to the spot by the lake where Layton was sitting with a couple of guys I didn’t recognise.
“Hey, what’s up?” she grinned, sitting down next to him and dangling her legs over the edge, hanging just centimetres above the water level. Reluctantly, I went and sat the other side of her. He and Mel chatted for a while, and as usual, he didn’t even offer me a smile.
“Hey, not avoiding me are you?” a voice laughed as I felt hands on my shoulders. I turned round and much to my relief, Rowan sat himself down next to me.
“As if,” I grinned, as he put his arm round me.
“Why you looking so upset? What’s wrong?” he wondered.
“Nothing,” I shrugged.
“Hey, don’t lie to me.”
“I’m not lying gay boy,” I laughed, elbowing him gently. He frowned, holding his hands up in defeat.
“Oh my god, I don’t know why I bother,” he sighed, getting to his feet.
“I’m joking,” I laughed, grabbing his arm, desperate for him not to leave me with Layton and Mel who were too interested in each other to pay me any attention.
“Please don’t go,” I begged.
“Come catch me, bitch!” he cried, running off across the field. I sighed, jumping to my feet and chasing after him.
“I’m in heels, this isn’t fair!” I cried, running after Rowan.
“You started it,” he chuckled, slowing down a bit to give me a chance. I ran up behind him and jumped on his back, knocking him to the ground and we were both laughing.

Later that night, Mel and I were standing by the refreshments table and I’d thankfully got her off the beer and onto something slightly less destructive.
“Hey, you’re Jenna, right?” said an unfamiliar voice. I turned to see a tall slim girl, with blue eyes and bleach blonde hair, wearing nothing but denim shorts and a bikini top, which I found slightly weird considering how chilly it was starting to get.
“Yeah,” I smiled, “You are?”
“Layton’s girlfriend,” she filled in, her eyes narrowing coldly.
“Oh,” I frowned, “I didn’t know Layton had a girlfriend.”
“Well he completely, totally, out of the blue broke up with me a few weeks ago, which I find a bit strange to be honest.”
“I’m sorry,” I sighed, “Maybe you’re better off without him.” Although judging by my first impression of her, I was considering that they were both as pathetic as each other.
“I don’t think so,” she frowned, staring at me in a way that unnerved me slightly.
“Hey, what’s your deal?” Mel butted in, coming to my rescue.
“Nothing,” she cried defensively, “I’m just saying it’s a bit weird how Layton and I were fine until Jenna came into the picture.”
“Whoa, I swear to you, there is nothing going on between me and Layton,” I gasped. How the hell could she think I’d actually waste my time with that dickhead?
“Well you would say that, wouldn’t you?” she muttered, looking down on us like we were invalids. People like her annoyed me and it was these times where I wished I had the courage to actually stand up for myself.
“Excuse me?” Mel choked, and I could tell she was starting to get annoyed. “Layton breaking up with you is nothing to do with Jenna. It’s not her fault he’s not into sluts.” A few people around us had turned to watch and they all started laughing. The girl’s cheeks turned red and she reached out her hand, attempting to slap Mel round the face. Mel quickly ducked, taking a couple of steps back.
“Oh, and you might wanna put some clothes on. You don’t want him thinking you’re desperate,” Mel added, winking at her, and we both cracked up laughing. The girl charged towards us, and Mel grabbed my hand, pulling me out of the way.
“You fucking whore!” she screamed, swinging a punch at Mel, who easily dodged it. Ellis pushed through the crowds, running towards us and grabbing the girl round the waist and pulling her away. Pretty much everyone at the bonfire had gathered round to watch, and they were all laughing as the girl was dragged away by Cyrus and Ellis. Mel and I ran from the scene, across the grass down to the lake, both of us laughing uncontrollably.
“That was awesome,” she cried, falling to the ground from laughing so much.
“I can’t believe you did that,” I cried, sitting down next to her.
“She deserved it; she’s such a bitch! He can do so much better,” she sighed dreamily.
“Trust me, he really can’t,” I muttered.
“You say that but I bet you like him really. Maybe it will be one of those cute stories where you always moan at each other but then one day you realise you’ve both fallen deeply in love and it will be like a fairy-tale.” I cringed at the thought, certain there was no way in hell that would ever happen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I haven't updated in a while, literally so busy at the moment.

But thank you so much to all my amazing subscribers. Let me know who you are and I'll read any of your stuff :)

Ella xxxx