Undefined Life of Mine

Chapter One: The Beginning

“Melony, don’t forget tonight!” I heard my father yell from another room as I grabbed my backpack and ran out the door. I had my beanie keep my black hair in place and my thin worn out sweater hid some bruises and my jeans had holes around the knee area. I breathed in the cold January air as I walked fast down the side walk. Thank God that winter break is over, I dealt with beatings, and dealings, and my father the past two weeks. Even though I hate school, I’d rather be there, than the house that reeks of alcohol and prostitution.
I entered the glass doors of a city bus, tossing in three quarters before taking my seat behind the driver. I pulled out my iPod and plugged in my headphones to only be introduced to loud music. I dropped my head back as the singer’s voice filled my ears. I then sent a text to Jonathan that I was on my way. One of the passengers waved at me and I waved back; Clara, a prostitute. Her hair was long and a light brown. I remembered when I was little and she used to tell me how she should of went to school and work with children, but she was forced down to take heroin, and here she is.
My father’s worker.
The bus came to a shaking stop and I jumped off. Jogging to school, I spotted Jonathan by the parking lot gate. He had choppy brown hair and brown eyes. He was taller than me by a couple of inches and he’s been my best friend since pre-school. I tell him everything and anything because I trust him. He’s like my big brother.
I jumped onto his back and we almost fell over. He grabbed onto the gate and kept us steady. “Well damn, Mel. I think you bruised my back.” Jonathan smiled at me.
“You’re bruised?!” I yelled. “I hurt everywhere!” he frowned, and before he could say anything, Eva, Nicole, and his young sister, Robin came up to us.
“Hey babe,” Jonathan said to Eva, kissing her lightly. Eva smiled at me with big blue eyes and blonde hair. She was about the same height as me and quite frankly, she’s my favorite person, besides Jonathan.
I’m the one who got them together in the first place. Dating for six years, they were perfect for each other.
“Melony, what happened to your neck?” Eva asked suddenly, which caught me off guard, which resulted in me accidentally releasing my grip on Jonathan. I hit the floor hard with a thud; I cried out from the sudden impact.
“Melony, are you okay?!” everyone asked and I nodded before adjusting my hair to cover my neck. I didn’t really need to explain what happened over the winter break.
The bell then erupted throughout the school grounds, telling us school is starting.
I only have four classes this year, since it’s my last year. I’m a T.A. for Mr. Hans, the teacher who is in charge of detentions; I have English 12 honors with Jonathan, Economics with Eva and Nicole, and law enforcement with Robin. We hang out at lunch, and then I leave and go to work at Eden.
Jonathan and I were walking to English, the class we hate the most due to a douchebag teacher who is always out to get us. Good thing though we have a substitute. The substitute was kind of different. He looked rather nice, actually, kind of handsome but his aura around him made me feel uneasy. Even in the same room as him, I felt uncomfortable. He sat at the front of the class behind the chestnut desk and the board said ‘Mr. Rogers’.
I took my seat in front of Jonathan, pulling out a small English book from under my desk. The board has the assignment, five vocabulary words and one page about how views in life change every day. I can’t seem to believe that this day has only begun.
After about thirty minutes, Mr. Rogers was watching me talk to Jonathan. Through years of living with my dad, I’ve learned what it’s like to have eyes on you. Our eyes even met three times making me feel sketchy. One thought kept going through my head and that was I need to get out of here.
“So, what did happen to your neck?” Jonathan asked and moved my hair to the side. I let out a sigh and pushed his hand away.
“Do I really have to answer?” I whispered and looked to find his eyes full of worry.
“You need to move out or something.”
“I can’t,” I whispered. “As long as he’s alive, he’ll have his men find me. I can’t hide.” Jonathan let out an angry sigh and sat back, folding his arms across his chest.
“I hate knowing he touches you.” He growled quietly.
“I know.” I rubbed at my eyes. “The bruises will go away soon.” Jonathan scoffed at me as the bell rang.
“Please turn in your assignments.” Mr. Rogers said as everyone started to get up. I got my things and started to walk with Jonathan to the sub, turning in our work. He stared hard at me before leaving. Now, I felt anxious.
Jonathan gave me a hug before he ran off to find Eva as I began to walk to Economics. The halls were full but everyone got out of my way. Everyone knew who my father was, hell, they even knew my mother. Though I never met much of her since I was little, but I knew more than most. She named me after her mother and she was the only one my dad found special. Well, everyone found her special. She was beautiful, thin, and perfect. Everyone loved her.
Even if she was paid.
Yet some people had the nerve to try and break me down by saying stuff about my mom or even my dad; ignorant bastards.
I walked into Economics, the most boring yet bright class ever. I sat with Nicole, her stomach swollen over due to pregnancy. I’d hate to be in her position because well, everyone now knows she had sex and well, it’s obvious she was carrying a child. I remember when she even tried to keep it a secret, but she was a month in. It’s a boy and the father already graduated from school, and he’s also supportive but her mom…that’s different.
Nicole smiled at me and put her black dyed hair into a ponytail. Nicole was honestly beautiful, I was jealous of such beauty, even though I resembled my mother.
“How are you on this fine morning?” she asked and pulled out her binder from her bag.
Not fine, I wanted to say but instead I said, “Ecstatic.” I forced a smile and pulled out my binder from my backpack.
“Melony!” I heard from my side and I look up to find Derrick. Derrick Riesman had black hair and beautiful green eyes. He was quite attractive and he would flirt with a lot of girls. He was a sweetheart, sure, but I always question his heart.
“Hey gorgeous,” Derrick smiled brightly and sat in the seat in front of me.
“Hey.” I smiled back and started to work on warm ups.
“Then don’t notice me, Der-Dick!” Nicole scoffed and flicked his ear. He flinched and gave her a charming smile.
“Nicole, you’re rather glowing today.” He winked then looked at her stomach.
“Haha, you’re just jealous of the guy who slept with me.” She then rubbed her belly.
“Not really,” he shook his head. “I’m more jealous of you.”
“Me?” Nicole said confusingly, making us both look at him strange.
“Why?” I laughed.
“Because she gets to hang out with you all the time,” Derrick’s eyes were on me this time, and before we could respond, our teacher started to talk.

After brunch and being a T.A., I was sitting with Robin, Jonathan’s little sister. Robin loved me as just as much as Jonathan did. Her hair and eyes were the same as her brothers and they held the same facial features; like twins but only two years apart.
“Do you want to come over today?” Robin whispered as I stared at the clock, waiting for the bell to ring.
“I wish I could,” I said. “But I’m busy tonight.”
“You’re busy every night!” Robin said annoyingly.
“I know,” I let out a sigh. My dad has me working all night, during the weekends, school nights, I’d be lucky to even get a day off or a night off.
“I’m sorry, I’ve just been working.” For my dad.
“Don’t be sorry but if you keep working this hard, you’ll die or something.” Robin laughed softly and pulled out her phone, texting someone.
“Right.” I faked laughed and brushed my thumb over my wooden blue bracelet. It was a gift from Jonathan; I got it on my tenth birthday. It has small symbols of music notes with stars.
“So when can we hang out?” Robin asked. I looked over to her, her hair in a ponytail, eyeliner outlining her eyes.
“Soon,” I smiled. “My birthday.” The bell then rang, signaling us that it was lunch time.
“Your birthday is in a couple of days!” Robin said with a huge smile. “Turning eighteen?” I nodded and grabbed my things, heading for the door. Robin followed with her bag swinging on her side. She then pulled out her phone again and started pressing the keypad.
“You’ll be legal!”
“To do what?” We don’t have the right to do much.”
“You can vote!” she said proudly.
“Voting for anything won’t happen for another three years from now. Plus, the most dangerous thing is an eighteen year old with the right to vote.”
We ended up meeting everyone else at a lunch table, we surrounded it with laughs and smiles but I couldn’t exactly smile…
“Melony!” But that voice, that voice can make me smile. Scott came up to the table and everyone fell silent.
“Hey Scott,” I never knew why but I was always attracted to Scott. I’ve had a crush on him since 6th grade, when he and Jonathan helped me hide from my dad’s men. Scott was a half ginger with really light freckles on his face. His hair was brown with a hint of ginger orange on the ends. He was as tall as Derrick, but a lot broader around the shoulders.
Scott then sat next to me, wrapping an arm around me. The only reason we ever got close was because he was one of my dad’s payers or buyers, if you will.
Jonathan glared at Scott, before continuing to talk to Eva. He never liked him, no one ever liked him. He was a drug addict and yet, I couldn’t control my feelings for him.
“How about we meet up tonight?” he whispered in my ear, my body getting hot from nervousness. This was something new; Scott never asked much. We only ever met up at my house but that’s because he met a best friend known as Crystal Meth.
I nodded at him with a shy smile, catching everyone's stares. Scott then kissed my forehead before taking off.
“Stay away from him!” Jonathan hissed.
“He’s not that bad, Jonathan! If you actually get to know him, then—“
“I did get to know him.” Jonathan interrupted me. “And you know why I’m not his friend anymore.” Jonathan was angry now, and usually once he’s mad, he’ll stay mad longer than he should. Nicole and Robin were whispering to each other, while Eva ate her food silently. Jonathan’s eyes were still on me though, like daggers digging into my skin. I didn’t know what to do now, so I got up with my things and walked away, some people staring, some not. I was so glad school wasn’t long for me. I was so glad that I could leave early and disappear on hours on end.
Though…suicide sounded like a beautiful option.