Nightingale

"another life, another time."

The next night, I met up with Eric. He was more than happy to see me, but more than confused as to why I was there alone. I couldn't tell him what was going on, so I lied and said I was taking a little vacation. He didn't question it, even though I knew he wanted to. That was something I loved about Eric.

We were going to some club for one of his friend's birthday that night. It felt weird to dress up to go out. I hadn't done that in so long. The only thing I ever really did was hang out with our friends and that didn't require dressing up. I hadn't gone clubbing in forever.

"You are one hot MILF," Halvo smirked. I rolled my eyes and shoved his shoulder. "So it's my buddy Jake's birthday."

As we walked up to the club, I felt really young all of a sudden. I told Eric that and he laughed, telling me I was young.

The club was packed and apparently, Jake had rented it out for his private party. I was shocked that he knew so many people. I don't think I knew even half the amount of the people there, which was well in the hundreds.

Eric excused himself from me to go get us drinks. While he waited, I looked around the room. Part of me hoped I would know someone else, but my luck was to no avail as everyone was a complete stranger.

"Do I know you?" I heard someone ask me from behind.

I turned around, smiling at the extremely attractive man behind me. "Um, I doubt it, actually. I'm here with my friend, uh Eric Halvorsen-" the guy nodded at the name "and I don't know anyone, I'm just visiting LA."

He nodded and looked around the big room. "So this party, it's-"

"A lot," I cut off. "This guy must feel very lonely in order to invite all these people. Wants to be surrounded by a sea of people," I murmured. The man smirked at me.

He held his hand out to me. "I'm Jake AKA lonely boy, apparently."

My eyes widened, remembering that Eric said the birthday boy was named Jake. "Oh shit," I said. "I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to assume- I don't know you at all and wow I'm so sorry." He began to laugh and I put my hand to my flushed face. "I'm Savannah."

"You're cute when you blush." I blushed more. "Looks like I'm going to have to keep complimenting you, Miss. Do you need a drink?"

I looked back at the bar. "Eric was going to get me one but-" I paused, seeing him give my drink to a cute blonde girl that was smiling at him. "He just gave it away. So yes, I do need one."

Jake offered me his arm, and I took it. I knew I shouldn't have done that, but I did. For one night, I wanted to be the young stupid girl I never had a chance to be.

He was sweet, very sweet. Jake was turning twenty six and he was single. He worked as a professor at UCLA, which surprised me since he was so young. We did have something in common, though, which he seemed afraid to admit to me.

"So I have a confession," he told me, "and I hope it doesn't scare you away."

I cocked an eyebrow, feeling the alcohol in my system. "Try me."

"I uh, I have a daughter. It was a drunken one night stand, but I love my girl to death. She's six, her name is Emma, and she's my world."

My eyes were wide, but for a different reason. He thought I freaked out and he began to apologize. "No, no, no, Jake," I started. He shut his mouth and watched as I fished my phone from my purse. I showed him my lock screen and he narrowed his eyes at me. "That's my five year old daughter. Her name is Noella, Ellie for short. I had her with my ex boyfriend."

When I put my phone back in my purse, my eye caught the shimmer of my engagement ring I had put in the bottom before Eric and I went in. Guilt laid heavily on my mind, but I shoved it to the back and smiled at Jake.

"So what you said before... about me feeling alone... You were right. I have all these people here and for what reason? To make me feel less alone," he admitted.

"We're all lonely, Jake. We're all looking to fill an empty void."

His eyes glimmered and I smiled.

We were interrupted as someone came up to tell him happy birthday. He excused himself, promising he would be right back. It wasn't even thirty seconds later that Eric filled his space.

"What are you doing?" he asked. I opened my mouth to reply, but he stopped me. "You know what? I don't care actually. Because I've known you for over seven years and never have I seen you let loose like you are. You never had the chance to be young and dumb and flirt with random guys. Your whole life has always been about John and Ellie and Joel. So I won't say anything, just don't do anything too stupid."

I smiled at him. "Thank you, Halv."

He kissed my cheek, then disappeared just as Jake was coming back. "Sorry, it was a buddy from college."

"No worries," I smiled. "Look, Jake, I need to be honest and this probably will definitely scare you away and I'm sorry I didn't tell you right away." He raised an eyebrow, taking a drink from his drink. "I'm uh, I'm engaged."

It surprised me that he didn't get up and walk off right away. "Okay. So... why don't you want to marry this guy?"

"It's not that I don't-" I stopped myself, partly because that was his initial response and partly because I didn't want to get into it. "It's a long and complicated story and I don't want to bore you with it on your birthday."

"Then how about we pause that conversation for now and you can tell me over coffee tomorrow?" I cocked an eyebrow at him. "Look, Savannah, I didn't talk to you just looking for a- for a hook up or whatever. I talked to you because you're beautiful and I could see that something was wrong in that pretty little mind. It looked like you needed someone to hear you out. I guess I didn't mention I'm a psychology professor."

Jake smiled sheepishly at me. I shook my head, laughing. As I sat with him for the next couple hours, part of me wished I was single. Jake was perfect. He was everything I needed in a guy.

Eric eventually found me, wanting to leave. He said his goodbyes to Jake, then stepped back to wait for me. The birthday boy leaned forward to hug me. Once he pulled back, he handed me his phone, asking for my number so we could make plans for the next day.

After saying our final goodbye, I began to leave with Eric. He was smiling at me the whole time.

"You like him, don't you?" His voice was soft as he asked it, which let me know he was serious and wasn't joking.

I nodded. "Yeah, he's...he's perfect, Eric. Too bad I can never be with him."

"You love Joel too much," he said. I wanted to add John, but I couldn't, so I just nodded. "Well Jake is a great guy. If for some reason things end up not working out with Joel, God forbid, maybe you can see Jake. I think he would be good for you."

Eric flagged down a taxi and we got in. Just as I shut the door, my phone buzzed. It was a text from Jake.

It was wonderful to meet you tonight. You made my birthday so much better. Looking forward to seeing you again tomorrow. -Jake

~

Jake was in awe at my tale. He had wide eyes and he was speechless. I nodded slowly, watching as he tried to form words to say, but nothing came out.

"Look, I know you probably think I'm some- some whore or something, but-"

He cut me off. "I don't think that at all, Savannah. I think you're just confused. Your head is telling you one thing but your heart is saying the opposite. Your head knows Joel is good for you, that he's the guy you need for yourself and your daughter. He's the one who won't ever let you down or hurt you. Whereas John has done both of those things. But your heart wants him. You're so in love with John. Your sister is right. John is your epic love. He'll always be around, no matter what, especially because of your mutual friends, your sister is dating his brother, and you have a daughter with him. I understand completely why you wanted to get away. I get it."

"I just wish someone could tell me what to do."

He smiled. "If only it were that easy."

"If it were easy, I'd probably break up with both for you," I teased. Jake smirked and held his hands up. "Seriously Jake, you're perfect. Can't you just kidnap me and keep me for yourself?"

Reaching forward, he took my hand in his. "As much as I would love that, you know you would miss your daughter."

I placed my other hand on his. "Kidnap her, too! Come on, Jake, we can live happily ever after. Our daughters will be best friends!"

His laugh was beautiful. Everything about Jake was beautiful. Part of me really did want to leave my old life behind and start a new one with Jake. He could make me happy, I know he could. But he was right, I would miss Ellie like crazy.

"You couldn't be without John," he murmured. He was right about that, too. He pulled his hand from mine, smiling at me. "Maybe in another life, Sav. I promise, it'll be you and me in another life, another time."

"I'm holding you to that," I joked.

Jake stood up, nodding to the door. "I want to show you something."

I let him drive me outside the city. We were silent almost the whole drive. Something about Jake made me feel comfortable. We didn't need to fill the silence.

He stopped driving after about an hour. It was in the middle of nowhere, with no city lights blazing the sky. We got out of his car and he pulled me to the front hood. The two of us sat together, looking up at the sky.

"This is my favorite place in the world," he murmured. "I would bring Emma out here and she talks on and on about the sky. She loves it."

I leaned against his shoulder and he wrapped an arm around me. My phone began to vibrate in my pocket, and without moving from my spot next to Jake, I answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hey Momma!" I heard Ellie squeal on the phone. She giggled after. "Guess what!"

I smiled. "What, baby?"

"Daddy is letting Uncle Gary teach me how to play his toy!"

I laughed and shook my head. "His bass, sweet girl?" I asked. She yelled that that was it. "Are you being good for your daddy?"

"I'm always a good girl, Momma. Daddy let me have ice cream after dinner!"

I heard John in the background say that she wasn't supposed to say that. "Oh, ice cream? Well baby, it's past your bed time already. How about you give the phone to your daddy and go get ready for bed? If you call me in the morning, you can talk to Aunt Lori and Uncle Ross, okay?"

"Okay! Love you, Momma!"

"Love you, too, princess."

She told John what I said and then I heard her give him the phone. "Hey Sav."

"John, you gave her ice cream after dinner?" I said. "You know she isn't supposed to-"

He cut me off. "Yeah, but I'm the cool parent. You make all the rules and I let her break them."

"John-"

Once again, he cut me off. "How's the finding yourself thing going? I talked to Joel today. He uh, he wasn't too happy about your choice to leave. He thinks you're going to leave him."

"Why ask if you don't even care? I've been trying to talk to you for days and you write me off."

"I didn't know it was this serious."

Jake squeezed my shoulders, which instantly calmed me. "I have to go, John. Go help Noella get ready for bed."

Without giving him a chance to reply, I hung up the phone. I put it on the hood next to me and groaned loudly. Jake laughed and rubbed my arm.

We stayed together in silence for only a little longer. It the most relaxed I had ever felt in my entire life. Soon enough, he took me back to Ross and Lorraine's.

"Thank you for today," I told him.

"I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

I felt like I was in high school, like Jake was my date and he was dropping me off. He even teased about walking me to my door, but I wouldn't let him. I wanted to stay in the car with him forever and just let him drive us anywhere. He opened the car door for me, then pulled me in for a hug. He kissed the top of my head, then gave me a warm smile. As soon as I left him, I wanted to be back with him already.

Inside, Lorraine was on the couch with Ross. They looked over at me, smiling as I walked inside.

"How was your day?" Lorraine asked. "Were you with Eric all day?"

I shook my head, still smiling. "No I was with someone else." Ross cocked an eyebrow at me. "Just a friend, unfortunately though. He's perfect."

"Maybe you should break up with John and Joel for this guy," Ross joked.

The three of us laughed. "That's what I said, actually. He said no, that I would miss them too much. He's right, of course."

I said goodnight to them as made my way to the guest room I was staying in. As soon as I was changed and ready for bed, my phone buzzed. It was from Jake.

Is it too early to say I want to see you tomorrow? Brunch?

With a laugh, I replied. Of course. Is it too early to say I'm in love with you?

Jake's reply was almost instant. No, because I'm in love with you, too. Goodnight my future wife.

Goodnight future husband.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?