‹ Prequel: Lost, Then Found

My Forever Girl

Ch. Fifteen

Naira’s P.O.V.

I felt so much safer walking back home with Embry by my side, minus the stalker owl. I got this invincible feeling every time I was near him; I felt like nothing in this world could ever touch me because MY WOLF would always be there to protect me.

There was a flutter in my stomach every time I’d catch him sneak a glance my way. It was like I was sixteen again, and back on the beach.

“Are you ok,” he asked, snapping me out of my little day dream.

“Uh, yeah…Why?”

“Your heart is beating really fast,” he nervously rubbed the back of his neck, “If you’re tired I could, um, give you a ride.”

My face was burning up, hopefully he wouldn’t be able to tell in the shadows of the forest, “Oh um, no. I’m ok,” I replied kindly. My heart was not racing from this walk back to the cottage. I was just simply going insane; my senses were consumed by him, smelling his sweet ocean scent every time the breeze blew, the feel of his warm, tender hand on my lower back guiding me through the thick forest, to seeing him lick his lips every time they got too dry. What I wouldn’t give to taste them. It was all more than I could handle.

I couldn’t tell whether giving into my feelings for him was harder or easier. I wanted to tell him so much, but I couldn’t, not yet. Not only was now not the right time, but I was also afraid. I was his imprint; that much I knew, but after all of the horrible things I’ve said to push him away, I just wasn’t sure he could love me the same way I was starting to love him.

“So um, why were you out here all by yourself anyways?”

“I just couldn’t stand being at the party. It didn’t feel right,” I replied shyly, avoiding making eye contact; if I had I think my knees would have given out at this point.

He shook his head understandingly.

I could see the light from my house, thank God. As much as I wanted to be with him, it was just getting to be too hard. This is the way it was going to be, until I could find a way to tell him the truth.

We stopped right at the tree line, “So, I guess this is my stop,” I replied, smiling awkwardly. I could have kicked myself in the face for not coming up with something better to say. How about “thanks for walking me home”, or “do you need a lift back to your house”, better yet “do you just want to crash out here”. I never thought the day would come where I’d be nervous to talk to Embry.

“Yup, I guess so,” he stood with his hands in his pockets, swaying side to side,
God, there was this part of me that was screaming for him not to leave, because in some way it felt like I just got him back. “So,” I began, just to get a few more minutes with him, “maybe I’ll see you later today?”

“Maybe,” he answered, deflating my hopes of that happening. I always hated that answer, it almost always meant “probably not, but I’ll keep you guessing just to be a jerk”.

I nodded my head and gave him a quick smile before swiftly turning around. I had only taken a few steps before being overcome with relief as I felt the warmth of his hand gently turn me around and pull me into him.

“Happy New Year Naira,” he whispered in my ear, sending a chill throughout my entire body.

Jayden’s P.O.V.

My grip on the steering wheel began to loosen. I could feel the tension leave my body as I pulled on to that dirt path that would lead me to Naira. After the past week, I just needed her to be in my arms, to know she was safe and still mine.

I put the car in park and practically ripped the keys out of the ignition. I couldn’t wait to see the look on her face once she saw me here.

“Something tells me it’ll be the “uh-oh, I just got caught sticking my hand in the cookie jar” kind of look,” the owl once again made his presence be known.

“Oh yeah, what makes you think that,” I asked, slamming the car door.

“Because, isn’t that Naira over there in another man’s arms?” My head snapped in the direction the owl pointed with its wing. I was too far away to tell, but as I got closer everything that bird ever said began flashing before my eyes. “It kind of looks like she’s enjoying it; has she ever smiled like that when you hugged her?”

I was boiling with rage.

Naira’s P.O.V.

I could have stayed like this forever; surrounded by his warmth. At the same time it was torture, I didn’t want him to know what he was doing to me; how my heart was beating frantically for him.
I made the mistake of looking up into those chocolate brown eyes. What was I waiting for? Everything inside of me was yelling for me to just tell him. The worst he could do is say he didn’t feel the same way. At least then I would know where I stood with him.

“Embry…I…”

“Happy Fucking New Year!” My words got stuck in the back of my throat. I could only imagine how I looked as I turned around to see Jayden approaching us.

“Jayden…What are you doing here?” The guilt began to sink in.

“Huh, not exactly the reaction I was expecting,” he said arrogantly.

As I took him in I noticed something was different about him; this was not the Jayden I knew. He stood before me with balled fists, and wild eyes. He looked like a rabid dog foaming at the mouth. The Jayden I knew was sweet and caring; he’d always been a lover, not a fighter. What happened to him while he was in New Mexico?

Embry protectively pushed me behind him.

“Ah, you must be Embry,” Jayden spat out Embry’s name like it left a bad taste in his mouth. My only question went from what happened to him while he was gone, to how did he know who Embry was? I’d never brought up Embry’s name when Jayden and I had shared stories about home.

“Naira who is this,” Embry asked, looking over his shoulder.

I didn’t need to speak, Jayden did it for me. “Her boyfriend,” he answered, placing his hand over his heart, “Ouch, it hurts knowing you haven’t talked about me,” he added, glancing my way.

“Boyfriend?” Embry turned around to look at me for answers. He was wearing those eyes, the eyes that emanated the pain he held within; the ones that only showed when I was around.

“No,” I started to speak, but was cut off.

“No,” Jayden said shocked, brows raised.

“I mean yes,” I blurted out, watching how Embry’s eyes left mine to look anywhere but at me.

“WELL WHICH IS IT; YES OR NO,” Jayden yelled, once again balling up his fists as he stepped closer.

Embry stepped back in front of me, blocking Jayden’s path, “I think you need to calm down.”

“And I think you need to mind your own fucking business!” Jayden gritted his teeth as he ran up and shoved Embry.

“Jayden don’t,” I warned.

My words went in one ear and out the other. The fact that he barely moved Embry pissed him off even more. Jayden swung his arm, but Embry caught it and sent him flying back. Embry’s body began to tremble violently.

“Em, please calm down,” I whispered with tear filled eyes.

“Naira get back,” my father yelled as he grabbed me and pulled me away.

“EMBRY,” I screamed. Paul and Quil dragged Embry off into the woods and out of site. Everyone else inside the house came piling out onto the porch.

Uncle Jacob pushed through the crowd, “What the hell is going on,” his voice boomed with authority.

Jayden began storming back to his car, “Nothing, I was just leaving SIR!”

“Jayden wait,” I screamed as I broke free from my father’s hold and ran after him. It was already too late, he was in his car. Gravel and dirt flew into the air as he took off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you didn't mind getting another update this week!! :)
I was going to write more, but.... Nah.. I'll save it for the next chapter...
Sooo does anyone feel a little bad for Jayden? I mean, I know he's going crazy and everything, but come on, we all knew he was the underdog from the start...
Oh well... Thanks for reading!! Xoxo <3