‹ Prequel: Lost, Then Found

My Forever Girl

Ch. Eight

Naira’s P.O.V.

I woke up the next morning before Quil and Claire. I spent a majority of the night awake, staring at the ceiling, thinking of how to prove to Embry how sorry I was. You’d think I would have been able to come up with something, but I didn’t. I was as clueless as ever.

I managed to get a few hours of sleep before I just decided to get up. I waited impatiently for about an hour for Claire or Quil to wake up, but once the clock struck 7 o’clock, I couldn’t wait anymore. I wanted to get home, so I took a scratch piece of paper and wrote them a note.

Claire & Quil,

I was up early and wanted to get home. I didn’t want to disturb either of you. I put the breakfast I made for you in the microwave to keep warm. Thank you both for everything. I will see you tomorrow at Aunt Emily’s Christmas Party.

Love,
Nair Bear

I grabbed my stuff and decided to take the short cut through the woods instead of the roundabout way. As I made the journey home I thought about Jayden and how I lashed out at him. I decided to call him back and try to explain the best I could, and apologize.

The phone only rang twice before I heard his groggy voice over the receiver, “Hello”.

“Good morning Jayden. I’m sorry if I woke you”.

I could hear him yawn, “No, it’s ok. I’m glad you called”, he replied.

“I want to apologize for snapping at you last night when you called”.

“It’s fine. Are you ok? Do you want to talk about it”, he asked, now fully alert.

“I’m ok; I just got into an argument yesterday with my mom. I also said something I shouldn’t have about someone”, I answered.

“Oh, I’m sure everything will work itself out”.

I huffed, “I wish it was that simple. Anyways, how’s your trip”, I questioned.

“A nightmare! I need to get out of here”, he replied, in a panic.

I never knew Jayden to be the type to freak out over nothing; something had to have happened, “What’s wrong Jayden”?

“I can’t really explain it without sounding crazy. You wouldn’t believe me”.

“Try me”, I replied. We live in a world where vampires and werewolves exist; it couldn’t be any crazier than that; I thought to myself.

“It’s nothing”, Jayden replied, in a monotone voice. He didn’t sound like himself anymore. I was beginning to think something was definitely wrong.

“Jayden, what’s wrong”, I asked, worried.

“I have to go”, he said, before hanging up.

It was definitely not like Jayden to just hang up on me. I hit the redial button and waited, but his phone rang once, and then went to voicemail. I tried again, but this time the phone didn’t even ring, it just went straight to voicemail.

“Aww, are you having boyfriend problems”? I jumped at the sound of Mika’s voice.

I shoved my phone back into my pocket, “do you really care”?

He huffed, “nope”.

I ignored his reply and continued to walk home. I could tell you that was the end of the conversation, but that would be a lie. Mika was right by my side the whole walk to my house. Every couple of minutes he’d chuckle. “What is so funny”, I finally asked.

He laughed again, “I’m sorry, I just keep thinking about Embry telling you off last night”.

Of course he would be the one to rub it in my face, “You’re really enjoying this aren’t you”?

“Hell yeah! You should have seen your face”, he shouted.

If my face truly did reflect the pain I felt inside, than I already knew what it looked like. “Can you just stop”, I pleaded.

“I’m sorry, did I hurt your feelings”, he asked sarcastically.

Trying to remain cool around Mika was impossible at the moment. Other than Embry, Mika was the only other person that could see right through me. I wish he’d just let me have it all at once instead of punishing me little by little each time he saw me. I missed the friendship that we once had. “Mika I’m sorry; I’m sorry for whatever I did that made you hate me so much”,

He suddenly became quiet and remained that way for a few moments. He refused to look at me when he finally did decide to reply, “I wish I could believe that Naira”.

His words gave me a small ray of hope. If I could get him to see how sorry I was then maybe…“You can believe it. Please, just let me make it up to you”, I pleaded.

He snorted as he folded his arms across his chest, “What kills me is that you don’t even know what you did”.

“I get it, this is about Embry. I’m trying to fix things with him…”

He cut in, “This isn’t about Embry; he’s not the only one you hurt when you left. You went off to College without even a single good-bye. I haven’t heard from you in a year, then you come back and I’m just supposed to act like nothing happened”?

“Believe me, if I could go back in time and do things differently I would”, I said, but it fell on deaf ears. Mika was lost in his thoughts.

He ran a hand through his silk jet black hair, “You complain about being an imprint; try walking a day in my shoes and see who is better off; I guarantee you’ll change your mind. You have no idea what it’s been like for me”, he paused. “Did you know I got accepted into Washington State University”, he waited for me to answer, even though he knew I didn’t know that bit of information. “Why am I asking, of course you didn’t. Well, it was the happiest day of my life”, his eyes sparkled as he said it.

“I’m happy for you”, I replied.

He suddenly snapped back to reality, and that light in his eyes went dark, “For what; that acceptance letter is in my trash. This is my life now, I can’t leave here”.

“Mika you can stop phasing, your dad did it. I know how much you wanted to be a doctor when we were kids; you have this amazing opportunity, don’t let it pass by”.

His face grew angry, “YOU DON’T GET IT, I CAN’T”, a few moments of silence passed while he regained control over his temper. “Someone’s got to protect this tribe. Sure, you don’t see too many leeches now that the Cullen’s have left, but there are still a few that come around”.

“There is still my dad, Paul, Jacob, Quil, Embry, Leah, Seth, Brady, and Collin. That’s more than enough to take on a few stray vamps that are stupid enough to come around”, I replied in an attempt to convince him to go off and fulfill his dreams.

Mika let out a puff of air, “You really haven’t kept up with the family since you’ve been gone. Your dad stopped phasing not long after you left, the only reason he started up again was because Embry got sick”, he said, as he glared at me. “Paul & Rachel, and Jacob & Shianne are trying to have a baby, once that happens I’m pretty sure Paul will be ready to give up his wolf, and Jacob will only be around if he’s needed. The only reason Quil’s still sticking around is because he wants to make sure Embry doesn’t get himself killed”.

“Why doesn’t Embry stop”, I whispered.

He paused, it was like there was something he wasn’t telling me. When he finally did speak he refused to look at me, an immediate red flag that there was still something I didn’t know, “Look, there’s a lot of things going on with Embry, phasing is his way of escaping it for a little while”.

My mind was going crazy trying to figure out what was going on with Embry. I knew I wasn’t going to get anymore answers out of Mika, but frankly I didn’t want to hear it from him. I hated myself even more, for leaving Embry behind, and for being selfish.

A light bulb went off in my head, “What if I could get Embry to stop phasing; would you go to school then?”

Mika started laughing, “That’s never going to happen, plus he doesn’t even want to talk to you right now”.

If I could get Mika talking to me again, I definitely can get Embry talking to me, “Leave that little issue to me,” I paused before adding, “Answer the question, if I get Embry to stop phasing will you go off to College”?

He took a few moments to really think about it, I was grateful for that. “Naira it’s going to take more convincing than you just asking him to quit”.

I thought about it, “Ok, so what if we don’t ask him? I mean the only reason why you guys are so worried about him is because he’s sick right? I’m back now, and I’m going to do everything I can to mend our broken relationship; he’ll regain his strength right”?

All the hope that was shimmering in Mika’s eyes left, “You’re going to be leaving for school again next week; I doubt he’ll be 100% by then, and even if he is, that progress will leave the moment you leave”.

Mika rolled his eyes and began walking away. I didn’t have to ponder on it long, I knew what I had to do, “Wait”, I yelled; I grabbed his arm and tugged him back. “I won’t go back”.
Mika turned back around with wide eyes, “You can’t just drop out”.

My mind was racing with solutions, “I’ll transfer to a school closer to home, or I’ll take classes online”.

I was overwhelmed with emotions as that sparkle in his eyes reappeared and his beautiful smile lit up this gloomy day, “You’d do that for me”, he asked, still unsure as to whether or not he could trust me, and I couldn’t blame him for that.

I smiled back, “I told you I’m fully prepared to make it up to all of you. I also miss being home, so yes, I’d do that for you”.

For the first time in a long time Mika picked me up and gave me a bear hug, “Naira you have no idea how much this means to me. You are serious about this right, I mean you’re not going to back out at the last minute, or take the first bus out of here the moment someone pisses you off”?

“I promise Mika, I’m not backing out, but can I please ask you for a favor”, I waited for him to nod his head yes. “Please don’t say anything to Embry about me staying; I want to tell him myself”.

“Yeah yeah, sure”, he replied.

“Well then, it looks like you need to get home and pull that acceptance letter out of the trash”, I said with a smile.