Status: I had this story laying around, sorry if it's not so good, feel free to comment with suggestions :)

Heaven Help Us

Awkward.

[Eliza]

"So Gerard's avoiding me," I said looking over at Mikey,

"Yeah you and the rest of the world."

He was busy trying to get the chemical concoction in the beaker to bubble.

"But you haven't noticed that he walks away every time I come over to you guys, or that he barely comes up when I'm over?"

"Not really, Gerard is just being Gerard."

"Try using calcium..." I said handing the beaker to him,"he didn't mention anything to you."

The beaker started to fizz, "Nope, I'm telling you that this is normal Gerard."

I shook my head and turned to Frank who was sipping whatever it was he had in his beaker.

"Gross." I said to myself.

After class Mikey, Frank, and I all walked over to the courtyard to have lunch.

"So are we still on for the movies this weekend?" Frank asked taking a bite of his sandwich.

I nodded, "As long as it's scary."

"I'm sick of scary movies,"

"Well too bad, because Mikey and I like them-Hey! maybe we could invite Gerard this time."

"I doubt he'd wanna go," Mikey added.

"But it wouldn't hurt to ask right?"

"I guess not."

"I'm not hungry." Frank said standing.

"What's his problem?"

I shrugged and turned back to Mikey.

****

So Gerard didn't go to the movies with us. LAME! I was glad Mikey still came though. Frank barely tried to kiss me or anything when he was around, not that I minded it, it was just I wasn't feeling like being kissed or touched.

After the movie we piled into Frank's car and went to Mikey's place. I admit, the first thing I did when I walked in was look for Gerard. He wasn't there, or was in his room.

I hung out with Mikey and Frank for hours until we fell asleep.

[Mikey]
I woke up to someone pushing me gently.
'Don't touch me...' Eliza's voice whispered.

"I'm not even-"

'please...stop,'

She was having a nightmare. I decided to wake her, so I shook her arm gently...

'Dad stop!' She said a little more desperately. She began pushing me really hard.

"Eliza wake up!" I said shaking her. She was really scaring me...

'No no no, stop, please!'

I shook her one last time before she woke up.

"Mikey-"

"Are you okay?" I cut off.

She just wrapped her arms around me, crying. I hugged her tightly. That's how we stayed until she fell asleep.

****

"My family's going to visit other family in New York..."

"Are you going?" Mikey asked.

"I'm not sure-I don't really like spending holidays alone, but I don't really want to see my family..."

"Well, mom always makes way too much food, I'm sure she wouldn't mind you staying over for a few days."

"I don't wanna intrude on-"

"Nonsense, you know, you've been acting strange the past couple of weeks, is everything okay?"

I nodded, I wouldn't dare tell Mikey, but a couple of weeks ago my father came to visit. He had been drinking and telling my mother I needed to come back home. I tried to calm him down, but he just pushed me into the wall. Ray stepped in and took me to his room where I clung to him all night.

"Everything is fine."

"Come on, stay with us, it'll take your mind off of whatever it is."

I sighed and went into my house.

"Thanks for walking me," I said turning to him.

"No problem, and if you need to talk, I'm always here to listen,"

I smiled and hugged him before kissing him on the cheek.

"What was that for?"

"Being a friend."

He smiled and began walking down to his house.

My mom had agreed to let me stay at The Ways' house for Thanksgiving, only if Ray stayed though, which Donna had no problem with. Thanksgiving at The Ways' was how I imagined holidays should be. Family laughing and joking instead of trying to kill one another. Ray seemed to be hitting it off with one of Mikey's cousins and Mikey had even brought a girl! I didn't know he was even seeing a girl...Alicia. I'd seen her a couple of times in school, but we never spoke. Gerard had even managed to find something to be happy about. He was different, more social with his family. He talked more and showed off his art. It was kinda nice.

At the dinner table I just took it all in. Family. That's how the Ways made me feel. Like I was with family-well aside for Mikey's uncle who kept hitting on me, but even that wasn't a bother.

"Dinner was amazing Mrs.Way," I said as I helped her clear the table.

"Please stop calling me that, I told you it's Donna." She said smiling.

"Where do you want these?"

"Just put 'em in the sick, will you honey?"

I stacked a couple more bowls in my arm and went into the kitchen. Gerard was there eating the remainder of the pie that was left out.

It was really awkward. I placed the bowls in the sink and ran water.

"Eliza?"

I turned around and faced him.

"You look really nice."

"Oh. Thanks."

He smiled and looked back down.

"Why'd you kiss me Gerard?"

He dropped his fork and shrugged, "I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry if-"

"I liked it." I said with every ounce of nerve I had in my body.

He looked over at me and this time my gaze dropped. I was embarrassed.

"You did?"

"Yeah, I mean it was really quick, so I don't really know but-"

He got up and began walking over. I looked up as he stood in front of me. I felt my stomach flutter as he leaned forward.

"You guys will not believe what I just saw!" Mikey said bursting into the kitchen.

'Shit!' I made a mental note to kill Mikey in his sleep as Gerard walked away.