Status: Writing!

And You Let Her Go

Envy

The funeral was sooner than anticipated and it ended that way as well. I sat on the bench of my parent’s front porch, watching the black clad mourners walk to their cars. Taking my phone out, I read the text I received from Anne 20 minutes ago.

Hi Sweetie, someone will come to collect you when it’s over. –A

Taking a deep breath, I tried not to think of the depressing event I had just attended. The bench shifted suddenly and I looked over to find my mother sit down beside me.

We sat there in silence for about two minutes just watching the people until she finally spoke.

“I’m really glad you came, Charlie,” I felt her eyes on me.

I sighed, continuing to look forward, “Anything for Auntie Laura…” I answered.

“I hope you’ll still come to visit us before you leave,” she formed her sentence like a question, waiting for me to answer.

I saw a Range Rover round the corner and hoped it was Niall. The car pulled up to the curb and I saw the mop of dark curls in the driver’s seat. Despite myself, my heart leapt.

“That’s me,” I mumbled. Turning around before walking down the path to the car, I gave my mom a small nod as goodbye. She remained sitting on the bench and I walked towards the black car. From one awkward situation to another, I thought.

I closed the car door and Harry looked at me, studying my face. I fought the urge to look into his mesmerizing green eyes.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw him grip the steering wheel and we pulled away from the curb.

Harry cleared his throat, “I’m sorry I couldn’t be there today,” his deep voice left a chill down my spine.

“Why would you be?” I kept looking forward.

“You shouldn’t face all of that alone, Char. My mom was going to pick you up but I wanted to… to see you… to apologize,” his voice faltered and he gripped the steering wheel even tighter.

“Stop,” I said. I couldn’t do this.
“Stop what?”

“Stop being sweet and trying to make this all better!” I finally looked at him and his eyes all but darkened.

The rest of the car ride home remained silent and I would’ve done anything to get out of the car sooner.

Harry pulled up in the driveway. Putting the car in park, he ran a hand through his messy hair- his curls pointing in all different directions. I hopped out of the car and opened the front door with my set of keys.

“Hi, Anne,” I mumbled on my way in.

“Oh honey, how are you feeling?” she opened her arms, waiting for me. I crossed the room in two strides and welcomed her embrace. I envied the people who had this everyday, whereas I didn’t. I sobbed into her shoulder and she rubbed small circles on my back.

I heard footsteps behind me but remained in my hug with Anne.

“Harry, would you mind making us a cup of tea please?” I felt Anne’s chest vibrate as she spoke followed by more footsteps.

I pushed myself into a sitting position on the armrest of Anne’s favorite chair.

“I think I’ll go shower and come down in a little bit,” I told Anne, wiping my face of any stray tears.

“Of course, sweetie,” Anne rubbed my back.

I strode out of the living room and ran into what I thought was a wall. Harry held my shoulders to steady me and his green eyes bore into mine. His lips quivered and I waited for him to say something.

His mouth snapped shut. I sighed and I ducked under his arms, walking lazily up the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
:( sadnesssss
please leave comments- i love hearing from you guys!!