Status: Completed

Shake Me Awake

Chapter 5

It’s been about four weeks since the wreck and I’m just now moving back into my apartment. After the doctors fixed my arm I stayed in the hospital for another week. They wanted to keep an eye on the pins in my arm, along with the gash in my leg, making sure I would not have any muscle or movement problems.

Not being able to use one of your arms is hard; especially when it’s the one you write with and mostly function in life with. I quickly learned how to do most things one-handedly and that helped a lot.

By the beginning of the third week I was able to leave the hospital; but my parents insisted that I stay with them for a while. They are so great; making sure I have plenty of pillows to prop up my arm and plenty of meds. Thank goodness for the meds. And since I couldn’t work they made sure to stock pile me some of my favorite movies to keep me company.

Dad helped me load all of my stuff into the rental car before they left town this morning. He would have been here helping me get unloaded and unpacked, but they left just after I did this morning to head to Miami for a cruise; their twenty-fifth anniversary cruise to be exact. A week long, Saturday to Saturday cruise, but they left today to give them an extra day to meander down there. They had this trip planned for about a year, so when the conversation came up about them not going because I’m injured and “need my mama,” as mother had put it, my Aunt Callie and I had to practically beg them to go.

I’m glad to be getting back to my apartment with Ronnie. I’ve really missed seeing her. We talked a lot on the phone when she wasn’t able to come out to my parents and visit. It’s good to be back.

I pull into my small apartment complex, silently thanking God that I’ve made it through the past month one-handed and with my parents. I park the car and just sit in it for a moment. To gather strength, I’m not sure, but my mind soon wonders to Kent. I’ve thought about him often over these last few weeks, but have not seen or heard from him since the day of my surgery. Dad said he’s been working a lot, but he never mentioned why he hasn’t stopped by. I mean, it’s not like he owes me anything, I just thought he might of enjoyed my company as much as I did his.

I quickly shake those thoughts away and take a deep breath before stepping out of the cute little SUV rental. I strap my purse over my shoulder, grab the few things I have in the front seat, and decide to go open my apartment door before getting any of the big stuff. I make my way back to the car and open the rear door just as a car that I don’t recognize pulls into the other side of the parking lot. I know what cars belong to everyone that lives in my building and the buildings that surround mine; I’m just nosy like that. Guess we got new neighbors.

Just as they park I turn back to my car, not waiting to see who my new neighbors are. This is going to be interesting, I think to myself as I stare into the back end of the rental. I start to pile things on my good arm, one by one. I am trying to juggle all of my stuff with one hand, just so I don’t have to make two trips. I am a big girl and can do this on my own…I think. I finally grab the last bag, which happens to be the heaviest. Why did I not put this on my arm first? As I get it settled and are ready to make my way up the stairs and to the door, I start to stumble backwards. And just when I think I’m done for, a pair of strong hands places themselves on my upper back, steadying me. While my back is still turned to the Good Samaritan, I gather my stamina and turn around.

I am immediately greeted by two gorgeous blue eyes. “Spencer?” The all familiar voice is just as raspy and beautiful as I remember, with a hint of surprise added in.

My mouth hangs open for just a moment before I speak. “Kent? What are you doing here? How are you?” My voice grows more excited as I finish my question. I would give him a hug if not for the four bags I’m trying my hardest to keep balanced.

“I’m good…here; let me grab those for you. Luke, grab this one, will you?” He points his friend to the heaviest one I’m trying to hold with my fingertips, then grabs the others from my hand. “Which place is yours?” I can’t move as he speaks. My eyes are wide and my mouth is hanging slightly ajar. After a few seconds, I see they are both staring at me and I realize I never answered his question.

“Oh, 4D, sorry,” I pause for a moment. “I was just not expecting to see you; here of all places. “ I lead them up to the door of my small, but adorable apartment. With all the essential rooms along with two bedrooms and one bathroom, it’s all we really need at the moment. It’s filled with artsy antiques that I found with my mom, and pictures of family and friends scattered from room to room. I have a few paintings on the walls as well, mostly things my mother painted so that our walls wouldn’t be so bare. It’s enough for right now. We seem to have a good time it.

I motion for them to place the bags on the couch as they enter. The room soon falls silent after I thank them for helping. I fiddle with my hands while trying not to meet Kent’s longing stare. I look at his friend and realize that this must be the new guys across the parking lot Ronnie was telling me about. ‘They are so cute,’ I remember her saying.

I fall hard against my will and find his gaze a moment later.

Kent looks back at his friend who is standing slightly behind him near the door. “This is my best friend and roommate Lukas Stokes.” He turns back to me before continuing. “Luke, this is Spencer Blake. She was in an accident about a month ago and I was at the scene with her. Her dad is –“

“Chief Blake,” Lukas cuts him off before he could finish. “Everyone knows she’s his daughter.” He shoots me a smile, “Nice to meet you, Spencer.”

“They do?” That’s strange.

“Yeah, pretty much. You’re kind of a celebrity around this county. Especially with the guys.” As soon as the words leave his mouth his face reddens.

“Wait, huh?” My eyes grow wide and my eyebrows rise above them. I can feel my cheeks flushing from embarrassment. “I…I mean at the department. They guys at the department. Who work for your dad…?” He trails off, not wanting to get himself any deeper than he already is.

My eyes shoot over to Kent and I can tell he’s trying hard not to laugh. “I had no idea.” I chuckle thinking about what he said. I know my dad is pretty well known, but I had no idea that people I don’t know, know who I am. “So what are you guys doing at my apartment complex? Kent, I thought we talked about that stalking thing?” I give him a wink and a small smile.

“We just moved in about three weeks ago; right across the parking lot actually. How long have you been here?” He raises his hand to tug at the back of his neck while he waits for my answer.

“We have been here for about two years.”

“We?” His face dims when he hears my response, but his eyes never leave mine.

“Yeah, me and Ronnie,” He doesn’t respond, just continues to look at me. “You know Ronnie. She was at the hospital the night of the wreck. She was the one curled up asleep on the floor.”

“Oh! That Ronnie, girl Ronnie.” I can’t help but chuckle as I see him let out a subtle sigh of relief. “Well we just might have to get together sometime. It would be the neighborly thing to do.” All three of us let out a chuckle.

“I think you might be right.”

***

“I told you they were cute,” Ronnie says over the phone. I’m calling to let her know I was home and all unpacked. She is showing no ability to contain her excitement.

“You never mentioned Kent, Ronnie.” My tone is not as playful as hers.

“Oh, no, did I not? My bad. Guess I just forgot?” I can hear the smile in her voice. “Any-who, I will not be home tonight after work. Have a ladies thing at church and will be staying over at Mrs. Jenna’s house with some of the youth. Then tomorrow night we will be staying over at Mrs. Constance’s place and all going to church together Sunday morning.” I give a little sigh as that means I’m going to be on my own for dinner tonight, but am excited to have the place to myself. “Don’t have too much fun without me.”