Status: Active =)

Don't Give up on Me

I'm A Lightweight, Easy To Fall Easy To Break

“We’re not going to sneak out of here, okay?” Niall looked at me as I hung back in the hall. I could hear the chaos every time somebody opened the front door. I could feel my nerves racing through my body as I attempted to control my fear.

“Why not?” I pouted slightly.

“Alexis, you’re beautiful and I don’t want to hide us.”

“Niall, I like you.” I started, reaching for his hand. I interlaced my fingers with his, avoiding his eyes. “But I don’t want to deal with the whole world knowing our relationship before we figure it out ourselves. You're used to all of this. You may not always like it, but you're used to the noise and crowds and I'm totally not. It's hard for me Niall, this is all new. I break very easily Ni, I just want to make sure I'm strong enough to let myself fall for you before we go public."

“I get that.” He murmured, lifting my chin with his index finger. “I’ll make you a deal. We’ll go out and have no PDA so that people can’t prove we’re on a date. That way I can tell people we were just hanging out if we’re asked.”

“I like this deal.” I grinned at him. “Ni, I’m sorry I’m so difficult.”

“Difficult?” He chuckled. “Lex, you’re not difficult at all. You’re just trying to protect yourself.”

“Not just myself, I don’t want them getting in the way of whatever is starting between us.” I replied.

“You’re perfect Lex.” He kissed my forehead, cupping my cheeks softly in his hands. “Are you ready for our date?”

“Are you going to tell me what we’re doing?”

“No.” He dropped his hands to mine, intertwining our fingers.

“Fine, I’ll try to be patient and wait.” I sighed. “I’m ready then.” I looked away as I pulled my hands from his. He sighed, but leaned down to kiss my cheek before guiding me out of the door. My vision was filled with the flashes of cameras and I stumbled as I lost my bearings.

“You okay?” Niall caught my arm, steadying me before putting slight space between us.

“I’m alright.” I raised my voice slightly so he could hear me. “Let’s just keep moving okay?”

“I can do that.” He grinned at me, ushering me quickly to his car. He opened the door for me and I slid inside, huddling against the seat. Niall climbed in his side as soon as he could. “Is this better?” He asked me as the door closed and silence encased us. I looked over at him, getting lost in his eyes.

“Yeah.” I breathed. “This whole pretending we’re not on a date thing is hard.” I muttered, looking away as I sank down. I crossed my arms over my chest and jutted out my bottom lip.

“Why do you say that?” Niall chuckled. I could still see the camera flashes illuminating the car, so I simply shook my head. “Lex, come on.”

“All I want to do is kiss you.” I whispered. “When you look at me like that, it’s my only reaction.”

“How do I look at you?”

“It’s like I’m the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen and you have such warmth in your eyes that it makes me giddy and weak.” I replied, gnawing on my lip.

“I like this honest side of you.” Niall commented, reaching over to tug my lip from my teeth. “I promise I’ll kiss you later. For now, let’s go enjoy our date okay? Buckle up darlin’.” He started the car and slowly eased into traffic, moving away from the intrusive cameras. I tapped my fingers apprehensively against my leg as he flicked on the radio. My ears perked up as I heard Michael Buble’s smooth voice in the car.

“You like Michael Buble?” I asked incredulously.

“Well yeah. He’s got so much talent, kinda like you.” His hand reached over to mine. His fingertips gently danced across the back of my hand. I laced my fingers with his, smiling. I glanced over to his face, studying his profile. “I know you’re looking at me.” He murmured, not moving his eyes from the road.

“I know.” I replied, blushing. “I can’t help it. You’re too attractive.”

“Would you like me to change that?” He teased, a grin settling on his lips. I rolled eyes.

“Just keep driving buddy.” He laughed and continued driving. A comfortable silence settled between us, interrupted only by the soft music. I hummed along quietly with Feeling Good.

“You can sing?” I faltered with my singing as he asked me.

“Um, a little I guess.” I stammered. “Not really anymore though.”

“Why not?” He inquired. “Your voice sounds beautiful.”

“It’s complicated.” I replied, shrinking slightly.

“Don’t shut down, please.” He requested quietly. “Darlin’, you don’t have to tell me right now. I’ll wait until you’re ready.”

“How are you this understanding?” I asked, looking out the window of the car as he parked in front of a restaurant.

“I know what it’s like to want to keep things to yourself. Being pushed to talk about your past is never helpful and I won’t do that to you. I like you Lex.” He turned my face gently toward his and leaned closer. His lips brushed against my flushed cheek. “Are you ready to get some food?”

“I’d love that. Food sounds perfect right now.”

“Good. Wait here for a moment then.” He hopped out of the car, moving quickly to my door. “Milady,” he offered his hand, bowing slightly. I giggled, accepting his help getting out of the car.

“You’re too sweet.” I grinned up at him. “I’m very lucky to be on this date with you.”

“I’m the lucky one.” He smiled, placing his hand on my lower back. He guided me forward into the restaurant.

“Mr. Horan, it is very nice to see you.” We were greeted upon entering. “And this lovely lady is?”

“This is Alexis.” Niall gave the man a fake smile, slipping his hand from my back. “She’s a very good friend of mine.”

“Ah, I see. Well, let’s get you set up in your private room.” He turned and walked, motioning for us to follow.

“A private room? Ni, you didn’t have to. I would be more than happy to eat out here.” I looked around, noting all of the eyes on us as we made our way to a back room.

“Lex, I wanted tonight to be special. Tonight I’m going to show you how you deserve to be treated.” We entered a private room decorated with candles.

“Niall, this is beautiful.” I pressed my hand over my mouth, covering my shock.

“It’s all for you.” He held my chair out for me. I smiled gratefully, letting him push the chair in for me.

“Hello, my name is Rachel and I will be your server tonight.” A young woman approached our table, flashing a smile at Niall. “Is there anything you would like to drink?”

“I would like some water.” I requested softly.

“I’ll have the same.” Niall added. “Thank you.” She flounced off with a quick glance analyzing our relationship.

“Ni, you can drink if you want to.” I reached across the table linking our hands together.

“It’s okay Lex. I don’t have to drink to have a good time. Besides, I want to be completely sober for our first date.”

“Here’s your water.” Rachel came back and I pulled my hand from Niall’s. “You know, I wouldn’t reject you.” She winked at Niall, clearly thinking I’d pulled my hand away because I didn’t like Niall. Inwardly I was seething, but I kept a straight face as I took a sip of my water.

“Thank you but I’m not interested in desperate.” Niall commented, casually drinking his water. I choked on my sip as laughter bubbled out.

“Excuse me?” She jutted her hip out. “I’m not desperate, I just know a good looking guy who could get dirty in the bedroom when I see one.” I tried to hold back my laughter at the disgusted look crossing Niall’s face but I failed miserably. A strangled laugh burst forth and I quickly covered my mouth. “And you.” She turned to face me. “You’re just a nobody that he feels bad for. He’d never like a girl like you. You’re a pathetic excuse for a female.”

“Hang on a moment.” Niall interjected.

“It’s okay Ni.” I halted his objection with a raise of my hand. “Rachel, was it?” I turned to face her with fire in my eyes fueling my words. “I’m sorry that I don’t see what you see. Here’s the thing, Niall is a good guy who wouldn’t risk his health by sleeping with somebody like you. I’m just guessing, but you look at him and you see money and fame. That’s pathetic, not me. I happen to enjoy his company more than the prospect of his dick and his bank account and that is why I am on a date with him and you’re not. I may have been shy to let people know I’m on this date, but I’m not afraid anymore.” I looked at Niall whose mouth hung open. He’d clearly never heard me talk to anybody like that. “Niall, let’s go somewhere else. I don’t want to put up with her tonight.” He stood quickly, reaching out to grip my hand gently. I smiled, raising on my toes and kissing his cheek. He grinned at me before facing Rachel.

“I’d like to thank you for your time and hospitality tonight, but we’ll be leaving now.” He snaked an arm around my waist and we left the restaurant, promptly bursting in to laughter. The cameras were waiting for us again and Niall began to pull away but I reached down and held his hand to my waist as I looked up at him.

“It’s okay.” I smiled. “People can know now. I can only ask you to hide me for so long. If I get hate then we’ll handle it together.” I knew the hate could be bad because I’d seen some of the hate that Eleanor and Perrie had been getting. I didn’t want to think that people would be so blindly hateful, but I had to be realistic that I would receive some of that hate too. Despite that possibility, I didn’t want to lose Niall or make him hide his feelings for me.

“Are you sure?” He asked turning to face me, searching my eyes for my permission.

“I’m positive. Let’s just enjoy our date together and go eat some greasy and awesome food at Nandos. I love that place.” I grinned at the excitement that lit up his face and skipped off to the car, sliding in.

“You sure Nandos is okay? It’s not fancy or anything.” He asked as he shut his door.

“I’m positive Ni. I don’t care about the fancy places. I like spending time with you.” He pulled away from the restaurant as I continued talking. “Niall, I know you can afford all of this and you want to make this night special, but it’s special because I get to spend time with you.”

“Lex, I want to give you this night.”

“Niall, I don’t want you to spend a lot of money on me.”

“Why not Lex?” Niall sounded a little frustrated.

“Because you shouldn’t. It’s your money!”

“You’re right. It’s my money and I can choose what I how I want to spend it.” Niall’s grip on the wheel tightened. “I want to spend it on you. It’s important to me that I make this night memorable.”

“But it would be memorable even if you didn’t spend a lot of money.”

“Alexis, please let me.”

“Niall.” I looked down as he parked the car. “I don’t –“

“Alexis.” Niall gently gripped my chin, turning my face toward him. “I want to shower you with the money you deserve. You’re a princess, please let me treat you like one.”

“Ni,” I sighed in defeat. “Fine, I’ll stop arguing.”

“Why does it make you so uncomfortable?” He searched my eyes and dropped his hand. “I know you’re not with me for my money. I get it, it’s okay darlin’. I want to spoil you tonight Lex. It’s not to show off my money or to make you feel uncomfortable. I just want to give you everything you deserve and more.” I just looked at him, unsure how to express my feelings for him. “What?” He asked. I shook my head slowly, not breaking eye contact with him. “Lex?” I took a deep breath, leaning in. I softly pressed my lips to his. He took a moment to respond, shocked at my initiative. The kiss remained gentle and undemanding. His hand rose to press his fingertips against the base of my neck, his thumb resting on my earlobe. I smiled as I pulled back. He rested his forehead against mine, a grin settling on his lips. “What was that for?”

“I didn’t know how else to say how I was feeling. Thank you for tonight Niall. I’m honored that you’re willing to do this.”

“It’s my pleasure Lex. Can we please go eat?” He jutted out his bottom lip.

“Oh my gosh perfect.” I giggled. “I really want to eat. Nandos is the best.” We entered Nandos and made our way to a booth.

“Can I grab you two something to drink?” A waiter came over to our table, looking very frantic.

“Water for both of us.” Niall answered.

“Would you like your regular?” A waitress stopped by, looking at Niall.

“Sounds great.” He grinned sheepishly at me.

“And do you need a minute still?”

“I’ll have what he’s having.”

“Um, that’s a lot of food.”

“So?” I raised an eyebrow at the girl who was eyeing me up and down. “Tell you what, you don’t judge me and I won’t judge you.”

“Sorry.” She blushed.

“It’s okay. I’m just really hungry right now.” The waiter returned with our waters and smiled as he left us.

“I’ll get your food coming right up.” The waitress said before leaving.

“I’m glad we’ve got some time to ourselves.” Niall grinned at me, intertwining our fingers and resting our hands on the table.

“Oh my gosh.” I ducked my head, attempting to hide my smile.

“What?”

“Do you see those kids on a date over there? They may possibly be the dorkiest couple ever.”

“Those two?” He nodded over to the young kids. “They’re like 10. Do their parents know they’re here?”

“Oh yes they do.” I snorted as I attempted to drink my water. “They’re at the table across from them.” He burst into laughter upon seeing the parents watching their kids. I laughed along with him, unable to help myself. His laugh made him even more attractive and I felt like the luckiest person on the planet.

“That is too rich!” He chuckled loudly, slinging an arm around my shoulders. “You know, I’ve very lucky to be with you tonight.”

“That’s funny, I was just thinking the same thing.” I kissed his cheek. “How has your week been?” I turned to face him. The conversation ebbed and flowed as we sat in the restaurant. Though there was complete chaos around us, it was as if we were in our own private world with nothing to disturb us.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all liked it and it was worth the wait! I'm sorry it took so long, I just have a lot going on now that school has started again.