Status: I'd like to apologize for not updating. My life is really hectic right now, I just started university, and it's taking its toll on me. I haven't forgotten about this story and I promise you that I will update again when I'm ready for it. Thank you for understanding - Leen

Joke's on You

Chapter 11

Alex

I stared at Danielle in horror, all the fun we had today already forgotten. I knew she would get her revenge, but I had never expected this in a million years. I knew she was capable of a lot, but this? This was way over the line. Even she should know her limits. I couldn’t believe it.

I watched Dawson rush to his mother, trying to explain things. At the same time, I cursed at Danielle and dragged her from the room. Her disgusted smirk never left her face, indicating she knew she had won. “You’re sick, Danielle! Why can’t you just accept the fact that we’re over and you’re never getting me back? This just makes me loathe you ever more! You disgust me, now get out!” I yelled and pushed her outside with force. The witch tripped and fell, scratching her knee. It looked painful, but I didn’t care. I was fuming with rage. Before she could respond or get up, I locked the door behind her. I expected her to try to get in again, but she took off, obviously satisfied with her actions.

I decided to give mother and son some privacy. I went to get a glass of water and sat at the kitchen table, taking small sips from time to time. I heard hushed voices and a sob here and there coming from the family room, but I couldn’t hear what they were saying exactly. I just hoped Dawson was able to convince her that Danielle was lying. If she didn’t believe him, we would be in big trouble. I knew Mrs. Angie and her husband. They were always very strict and had high expectations of their only son. Being gay didn’t fit in their plan they laid out for him. They would never approve of us.

“YOU ARE A DISGRACE OF THE FAMILY, DAWSON ADAMS. GET OUT OF MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW!” I heard his mother shout. I put my head in my hands, not believing what I was hearing. This was bad. I had never witnessed Mrs. Angie getting mad. I felt bad for Dawson.

Only seconds later, Dawson rushed out of the room, momentarily startled when he saw me sitting there. I suddenly felt really ashamed. I should have gone home. It was personal and I shouldn’t have stayed. I started to apologize, but Dawson was quicker.

“Alex…” his voice cracked. I stood up at once, pulling him into a hug, forgetting what this might look like. My friend needed me.

“I’m so sorry. We should just stop the whole thing, this is getting out of hand,” I said. He didn’t react. “Should I go talk to your mother?” I suggested. “Maybe I can convince her.” He shook his head.

“No, it’s too late for that. She’d rather believe Danielle over her own damn son,” he replied angrily and let go. He disappeared upstairs and left me standing there awkwardly. I debated on whether or not I should follow him, talk to his mother or leave. But before I made up my mind, Dawson was rushing downstairs again, throwing his backpack over his shoulder. “Come on, let’s go,” he ordered. I followed obediently, without saying a word. I really had no clue about how to handle such a situation.

Once outside, it became obvious Dawson was lost. I came back to my senses and knew how to help. “I guess you can stay at my place for a while, until you sort everything out with your parents,” I suggested. He smiled thankful at me and nodded.

We started heading to my house and I subconsciously took his hand. My actions surprised me, but I told myself I did it because we were in public. We could run into anyone right now. There was no other reason for why I would want to hold his hand. We had done it countless times before, so this was no different. I ignored the feeling it gave me. This wasn’t different.

We arrived at my house a few minutes later. I opened the front door, and listened carefully. I heard my mother cooking in the kitchen, and further away my father was on the phone, probably discussing work. I let out a sigh a relief. There was no trace of Danielle or whatsoever. My parents didn’t know yet. I smiled reassuringly at Dawson and let him in. I took off my shoes and entered the kitchen. My mum turned around and was surprised to see Dawson standing next to me.

“Hi Dawson, what a nice surprise to see you here!”

“Hey mum, would you mind if Dawson stayed over for a couple of days?” I asked before Dawson could respond to my mother.

“Oh of course not!” she smiled. “Dinner’s ready in 20.” I nodded and took Dawson upstairs to my room. He threw his backpack on the floor and sat down on my bed, his head in his hands. I sat awkwardly next to him.

“It’s all going to be okay,” I whispered, and he shrugged his shoulders.

“You know my parents, Alex. They’ll never approve of me being gay.”

“Then tell them the truth! Tell them you are not gay!” I exclaimed in desperation. Dawson stayed silent. I knew it wasn’t his fault, but yet I got pissed at him. I left him alone in my room and headed downstairs again. I sat down on the couch and turned on the TV, not paying attention to what was on. I let the whole situation sink in.

I got pulled back to reality by the phone ringing. I didn’t bother to pick it up and let my mum do so. “Hi Mrs. Angie!” I heard her say and regretted my decision immediately.