Status: I'd like to apologize for not updating. My life is really hectic right now, I just started university, and it's taking its toll on me. I haven't forgotten about this story and I promise you that I will update again when I'm ready for it. Thank you for understanding - Leen

Joke's on You

Chapter 7

Alex

I was furious. Why did Dawson go that far? He had crossed the line. I had to get used to him touching me in public for a while, why did he get so clingy in private, too? The only time we could be ourselves, and he ruined it. We were straight best friends, not actually gay, and he seemed to have forgotten that.

I watched him disappear into the crowd, as I stayed behind with Monroe. She was eyeing me suspiciously. “What has gotten up your ass?” she questioned me, raising one eyebrow. I sighed. Great. I knew she would interrogate me until I had spilled everything. But despite our fight, I knew I couldn’t tell Monroe about our prank. Dawson would kill me.

“Oh nothing, I’m fine. Let’s get back to the party,” I avoided the question. I started walking to the door, but she stopped me by putting her hand on my chest.

“Oh no, honey. We’re not leaving yet. Not until you tell me what’s been going on in here. Even a two-year-old would have noticed the tension between you two. You were standing miles apart!” she exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. Then she put them on her hips, waiting for my answer. I took a deep breath and gave in.

“I just don’t like how he handled everything back there. It’s just a small, meaningless fight. Don’t worry about anything. Now let’s get back,” I told her, hoping she wouldn’t ask more questions. She humphed, shrugged her shoulders and then nodded. It was obvious she wasn’t happy with my answer, but she seemed to realise that I wasn’t going to give her any more information. I gave her a kiss on her cheek and smiled at her, which seemed to please her.

When we got back to the rest, Dawson was laughing with Logan. He didn’t acknowledge me at all, and it angered me more. I stood beside him anyways, not interrupting their chatter. Kylie smiled reassuring at me.

“Ladies and gentlemen, are you having a good time?” someone yelled through a microphone. The crowd cheered as a response. “Great! This is the moment you’ve all been waiting for. We are ready to crown the king and queen!” Everyone cheered even louder. I couldn’t help myself but glance at Dawson, but his eyes were fixed on the stage. It was easy to notice that he was hurt. And even though I was still angry, it made me feel bad because I had caused it. I looked back to see the principal take over the microphone.

“This year’s king is… Alexander Matthews! Congratulations, Alexander. Please join us on the stage.” The crowd started applauding for me, but I groaned. I didn’t want this at all. I didn’t want even more attention on me. I was lead to the stage before I had time to leave. The principal shook my hand and congratulated me again. I smiled politely at him. I looked into the crowd and saw Monroe jumping up and down in excitement, screaming my name. I couldn’t help but laugh at her silliness.

“Everyone be quiet, please.” The crowd silenced again. “The next person may join this man on the stage and dance with him. This year’s queen is…” the principal paused to rise the tension, “Danielle Evans. Congratulations!” My heart stopped for a second. This couldn’t be happening. I must have been dreaming. They were wrong. We couldn’t be king and queen. It was a real nightmare and it made me feel sick.

Danielle came on the stage with, of course, the biggest grin. She stood next to me as she accepted her crown. She disgusted me. I didn’t know how I was ever able to stand being her boyfriend. “If everyone could please clear the dance floor for them. The king and queen will now dance together.” I groaned. Oh, please no. I didn’t want Danielle to come near me. She didn’t seem to mind though. She took my hand with a big smile and we descended from the stage.

“See, baby. We are meant to be together,” she whispered as she came closer to me. We started to dance and I felt even sicker. I heard some whistling and cheering around us. It was humiliating. How long did I have to dance with her? Could I run away? Please, someone save me.

Danielle was taking advantage of being so close to me. She pushed her boobs into my chest, smirking at me. I restrained from looking down, because I knew what I would get to see. Her lips brushed my neck as she placed her head on my shoulder. This was going too far and I couldn’t stand it anymore. I tried to push her away, but she was prepared and held onto me stronger. “Stop it,” I hissed as I pushed her harder. She let go of me and looked at me, obviously enjoying this.

She stepped forward again and whispered in my ear. “I know you’re not gay. You belong with me,” she murmured, and suddenly her lips were on mine. This time I wasn’t paralysed and I pushed her away immediately. I cursed at her and ran into the crowd, who was cheering loudly again, obviously enjoying the show.

Before I knew it, I was looking for Dawson. I noticed he wasn’t with our friends any longer. I searched around and saw him heading outside. I ran after him, not knowing why I was doing this.