My Janey

November 2nd

Janey had been in her room for two days. I knew because I went over there everyday two or three times a day. Her mum kept saying she wasn't feeling well but as soon as she was better I could see her. I didn't buy it. Janey had never not wanted me with her when she was sick if anything she wanted me around more when she was unwell.

It was the morning of the third day since Halloween and I was playing sick in bed, claiming to have caught whatever Janey had. I waited until I knew both of our parents would be gone before getting out of bed to change into warm clothes.

I was at her front door minutes later unlocking it with my key. It was silent in her house not that unusual some it was just Janey and her parents it was never very loud here. I walked to her room quietly in case she was sleeping. I knocked once on her door my hand on the handle opening it slowly.

Inside Janey was sitting at her desk looking out the window that was on the opposite wall. She was in sweats and from the looks of it she hadn't showered in a couple of days. She glanced at me her eyes a dull light blue instead of the vibrant color they normally were.

"Janey." I sighed happy to see her finally. "How are you feeling?"

"Not so good." She replied voice weak.

I sat down on her bed she followed my every move but her eyes stayed cold and unchanging. She didn't look good, she didn't look like my Janey at all.

"Janey..." I trailed off not knowing what to say.

"I wish we were kids again." She whispered eyes slowly going back to looking out the window.

"Why?" My voice was just as quiet as hers.

"It was easy to scare monsters away back then."

"What monsters do you need to scare away?" Janey turned to me with her vacant eyes. "Janey what's wrong?"

"Janey." I was sounding desperate but I needed to know what was wrong. "Janey, please talk to me."

"You should go Haz."

It broke my heart to hear her tell me to leave but like always I listened. I gave her a kiss on the forehead. Her body went tense at the contact but it was over before she could flinch away. For once I should have said no. I never should have left her alone that night knowing in my gut that something was off.