The Girl Next Door

Chapter 33

I saw the look in Harry's eyes. The disappointment that we weren't alone anymore.

"Niall?" I asked when I saw him. Andrea was here too.

"What are you guys doing here...alone?" Niall asked as he rose an eyebrow in confusion.

"The music's too loud for us to bicker properly." Harry said, his eyes still looking at me intensely while I looked at Niall, who chuckled. "What are you doing here?" Harry asked, not even trying to hide his annoyance.

"We were just uh..." Niall trailed off, looking at Andrea.

"Looking for a place to be alone. Right, Niall?" Andrea pressed, looking up at him with a smile full of secrets. What was that all about?

"Right. Well we'll leave you to it. It was getting weird being alone here anyway. Kaleigh was coming on to me." Harry tried to joke but I could tell he just really wanted to get out of here.

"Kayles, are you alright for the night? Do you need a ride back?" Niall asked. That meant I was done being a cover for the night, I was no longer needed and as far as Niall was concerned, I could find my way back by myself.

"I'm fine." I muttered.

"Alright, see you tomorrow?" He asked.

"Sure." I unconvincingly called out as Harry and I walked away.

"Isn't he just the best of friends?" Harry asked sarcastically when we were out of earshot.

"Stop."

"Ok, I'm sorry." He said and I stopped walking. He stopped too.

"Since when do you apologize?" I asked dumfounded.

"Since I've realized that being a jerk isn't the way to win you over." He said with a...was that a shy smile?

"Win me over? What am I, a county fair prize?" I asked as we started walking again.

"County fair? Nah, maybe olympics, but nothing less than that." He smirked and I shoved him playfully.

"So where are we going?" Harry asked as we were walking around the school. I looked at him and it hit me. I never intentionally hung out with Harry before. What do we do now?

"I think you have to decide." I said in an unsure voice.

"Why's that?"

"Because you're the one who made the larger-than-life confession here, so I'm guessing you should take the lead." I explained matter-of-factly.

"Ok. Then come on." He said, smiling as he took my hand. Although a million sparks went through my body, I swear nothing has ever felt so right.