Sequel: The Takeover
Status: It's finally finished! Which makes me sad... I miss writing Elessar and Idril :/

Criminal

Chapter Twenty-Two

Corinth must have used magik on herself because she seemed lively as ever even though she hadn't slept a wink in days... She was running about trying to make every detail of the newest structures in town were perfect and that everyone was properly trained for war. She had been bouncing all over town making sure everyone had a job and was doing it correctly. I liked it this way, it took my mind off of what to come, if only for a second.

The battle was in a day or two. We can't be exactly sure but tomorrow is when our week is up. Tomorrow I could die... Idril could die, as well as Corinth. But things were finally taking shape. We had managed to recruit over a thousand people. They all know how to use magik too! Well, at least they do now, since Corinth set up training sessions run by long time magik users and us three. We may actually have a chance.

Fortunately, the voice in my head hadn't come back since the first time it plagued my thoughts, a few days ago. There was not one thought in my head that suggested Idril was evil, in fact we were more obnoxiously in love than ever.. Not even the nervousness from this impending war could overcome the constant feeling of elation that overtook my senses when she was near. I understand what Tathar went through now, and his life, and death, don't seem as if they were in vain. He had a woman he loved and got to spend time with her. Sure, she may have turned him in but if he felt like this I understand. If I died today, I would die happy.

"Elessar? Where did you go?" Idril's voice broke through my barrier of thoughts.

"I was taking time to realize that Tathar died happy." I sighed and wrapped my arm around her waist, pulling her closer.

"Oh?" She raise an eyebrow.

"If he felt the same way about Lessie as I feel about you, he definitely died happy." I placed a peck upon her lips. She giggled, and smiled up at me.

"No matter what happens tomorrow, no matter how many people die... Or even if I die, I want you to know that I love you. And that every second I have spent with you has brought me enough happiness to last one thousand lifetimes." I said seriously. Her face sobered and she stared me in the eyes.

"No matter how much time I spend with you, I'll never be able predict your mood swings." Tears had formed in her eyes and her voice was quivering. "But I know I love you, and will never have enough time to spend wit you." I pulled her into a hug. Today may be my last with her.

"Okay love birds you need to go test the catapults." Corinth instructed. I nodded, and we hiked over there. The wind whispered around us, the last thing we need is a storm.

"I hope a storm is not in the way." I looked up at the sky, only to see it was bright blue.

"What makes you think it will?" Idril asked.

"Didn't you hear the wind?" Confusion overtook my thoughts.

She gave me a worried look. "There was no wind. You must be going crazy."

"I must." I smiled at her. She may not have heard it, no need to worry. I simply took her hand in mine and carried on, thinking nothing of it.

When we reached the east edge of town I gasped. Corinth must have these men working hard. We only had three catapults yesterday and now twenty line the city's perimeter. The constant sound of their trial throws was deafening. I wish there was something to protect my ears with. It was giving me a headache.

We were waved over to a catapult in the middle of the ruckus. It was far more decorated than the others. Intricate gold patterns that look like leaves and vines swirled around the arm of and around the bucket of the catapult. It was gorgeous.

"This will be your catapult." The burly man who was made captain go the catapult crew yelled over the noise. "It has two seats and magik capability. By that, I mean the pattern you see on it will amplify your magik, so you don't have to push the catapult, and you can launch you explosive magik, or whatever you call the magik Corinth has you practicing. So, why don't you try her out?"

The seats were in the very front of the machine, side by side in the center. We took our seats and I could instantly feel my increased magik. The machine hummed slightly in response to our power.

"Shall we try moving?" I offered, Idril nodded. I grabbed her hand and squeezed. Then I willed the machine to move. I wasn't sure how to exactly, but I figured it might listen to me. It didn't. So I created an explosive ball of magik and placed it in the basket. I stared intently at the basket and visualized where it should fall. Naturally, I aimed away from the town toward the empty field in the east. When I told it to fire it responded. I changed the magik ball into a ball of stone in mid air, to avoid a large amount of damage. Then it hit me. There's two of us, and only two functions.

"Idril, you try and movie it." She looked confused but obeyed me. A crease formed between her eyebrows as she focused. Then the machine crept forward ever so slightly. I heard her gasp, and she turned to look back at me. A smile had spread across her face. She looked like a child at the beginning of Winter Festival. She moved it a little fast the second time. With moments we were going forward then backwards any and every direction that was possible. Her giggles of happiness rang above all the other sounds. I couldn't help but smile, and chuckle silently. Once we came to a stop she sighed in content and smiled back at me yet again.

I stood up and pulled her from her seat into my arms. I looked into her eyes and said, "I love you." I smiled brightly and she blushed. I pressed my lips to hers and poured every ounce of feeling into that kiss. I kissed her like there was no tomorrow, because there may not be.

We became the only two people in the entire world. This is what happiness is, what love is. I want to give her everything, I want to hold her and kiss her for the rest of my days. I have never felt this way in my life, and I hope this kiss conveyed the feelings I'll never be able to voice.

There was a flash of white hot pain in my head, but only for a second. I was able to ignore it as I pulled away and smiled at her but something was wrong with my vision. I saw her smiling face but it was all I saw. A black tunnel had formed in my vision and was slowly narrowing, then there was... Nothing.

~

"Elessar!" Her voice screamed. What's wrong? What's happening? "No please don't!" I could hear tears in her voice. I tried to push past the veil of darkness separating us. I need to see whats happening, she could be hurt!

My eyes cracked open enough to see the king standing a few feet away from me, and Idril on her knees shielding me from him.

"You're going to protect him after all he did?" The king said snidely.

"Father you don't understand! I love him!" She cried. "Even if he truly thinks of me that way, I love him!"

"Well, then I'll have to kill you both." He smirked and raised his sword to deliver the death blow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter I will be going back in time in Idril's POV to show what happened during Elessar's lapse in consciousness.

Anyway, did you see this made story of the week? I field of happiness. I got 5 more reccs and about 20 more subscribers! Please excuse me as I go hyperventilate and die of excitement in the other room

Also I decided to update on Fridays with occasional extra updates on Sundays or Wednesdays. So, hopefully I can stck to that.