Status: A finished NaNoWriMo novel (first draft)

Louder Than Thunder

Chapter 26

Michelle kept her promise as they finished off the busy week, which ended in a launch party for their album. The party was held in the ballroom of the hotel, which was filled with hors d'oeuvres, drinks, managers from other local bands, a few members of those bands, and executives from London-based record companies and music magazines.
For a while, the only ones who would talk to them were the executives, whom the girls found rather boring. Often they would be approached by one or more of them and Kim would come along a few minutes later to take over the conversation, since she better knew how to deal with them. The girls were thankful for it.
The girls constantly veered off to speak to the musicians who were attending with their managers. Some of them appreciated the girls’ music already and had heard or even bought their single. Most of them were full of compliments but a few would hardly speak to them.
“What d’you suppose their problem is?” Michelle asked, pointing at a group of boys who ignored them and walked off when they said ‘hi’.
“Maybe they’ve never met girls with brains before. Too bad considering they’re all around. I guess it’s easier to see with us,” Mary commented.
“Maybe.”
“What time do we go on, by the way?” Darlene asked, looking toward a clock sitting high on the wall opposite the short stage.
“I think Kim said we still have about twenty minutes.”
“Alright.”
The manager of a band approached them yet again.
“Hello, girls! Name’s Stanley Wood, I manage John Johns & the Strings.”
“Never ‘eard of them. Sorry,” Mary said.
“Well, if you’d like to see them play, we’re playing this club down the road tomorrow night; you could just walk down there from the hotel.”
“Oh, we can’t make it. We’re leaving the area tomorrow night to go home. We came off tour and straight into this record launch, so we’re finally getting a break. We’ll be across the city by tomorrow night.”
“Oh, that’s alright, then,” he said, completely aware that they simply weren’t interested.
“Sorry,” Darlene said.
The manager walked off and got into a conversation with someone else after that.
“What are we doing tomorrow, anyways?” Michelle asked.
“Well, I was thinking about taking my stuff out of the apartment and staying with Eric after all. Just until we find a place of our own,” Darlene explained.
“Yeah, I was thinking of doing the same,” Mary admitted. “What about you, Chell?”
“I don’t know. Sidney did offer to let me live with him.”
“Movin’ in together? That’s a big step.”
“Well, it might not last. He does want to buy a place since he’s only renting the one he’s in right now, so maybe we’ll move into Eric’s place for a bit as well.”
“So we may be staying near each other’s side. Does anyone know if Kim is going as well?”
“I have a feeling she will. I mean, where else will she go?” Darlene pointed out.
“You’re probably right.”
“Speaking of the boys, I miss them. I sort of can’t wait to see them again.”
“Same.”
“Same.”
Darlene sighed, before walking off, crossing the room to the drink table.
“I’m gonna go talk to Kim,” Mary said.
“Alright.”
Michelle was left alone near the back of the room, by the stage. She leaned against the wall, watching the party for a bit – out of habit more than interest. Suddenly, she noticed something odd. It was strange enough that she thought she was seeing things.
She could see Darlene, standing near the drink table, but she wasn’t alone. She was hugging none other than Eric Archer. They broke apart, Eric got a drink for himself as well, and then they began chatting and laughing. But it couldn’t be.
Michelle wiped her eyes, thinking maybe she was just tired or there was some sleep in her eye and she just needed to rest them for a moment. When she removed her hands she looked around again, only nothing had changed and, in fact, now she could see Mary, standing near Kim who was off in her own conversation, speaking with the one and only Keith Jones.
Was she seeing things? Was it wishful thinking and hallucinations? Her questions were answered when, suddenly, her eyes were covered by a stranger’s hands. She wasn’t afraid, as she’d recognize that touch anywhere. She reached up to remove his hands and she held them near her waist. He rested his head on her shoulder so she had to turn all the way to the side to see him, but it was him.
Sidney Baker with his dark puppy-dog eyes, brown swooping greaser hair, square face which was pale as always with constantly red cheeks. He turned her towards him to facilitate his longing gaze in her eyes.
“Hi, Sid.”
“I couldn’t wait to see you again. The boys wanted to come too, so we all came.”
“Keith and Eric I get, but I’ve never known you to be a party crasher.”
“Well, as Keith put it, we’re not crashing your party; we’re improving the concert aspect of it. We’re gonna be your opening act now, if you don’t mind.”
“I don’t mind, I simply didn’t know there was an opening act.”
“Well, there wasn’t, but there will be now.”
Michelle laughed as she threw her arms around his shoulders with the passion of a woman who was reunited with her husband after a war. He wrapped his arms around her waist lovingly, leaning her head against his chest.
“How were the past few days? I know you were a really busy group this week.”
“You don’t know the half of it. Three shows in one night, two on most nights, plus recording a single and interviews and photo shoots during the daytimes. We’ve had so much to do, but, as much work as it was, it was kind of fun.”
“That’s good to hear.”
“Oh, another thing, erm, I won’t be doing pills anymore.”
“Really? That’s wonderful! Was it the whole thing with Keith that scared you off them?”
“That, and Darlene and Mary voiced some concerns and we had a whole argument and it ended in me making that decision. It’ll be good for me.”
“That’s great, Chell. I’m so proud of you,” he said, hugging her again.
“Also, things will work differently in the Rag Dolls from now on. If we have a concern, we deal with it up front. No more hidin’ things under the rug and pretending they’re not there. It only causes more problems.”
“Sounds like you’ve figured things out before we did.
Keith and Eric came by just then.
“ ‘ey, Sid! Kurt waved at us, it’s time to go on!” Eric called as they ran through the door into the backstage area.
“Well, duty calls.”
“Go do what you do best,” Michelle said with a smile.
“I will if you will.”
“Of course I will.”
Sidney kissed Michelle on the cheek before following his band mates backstage. A couple minutes later, Kim rushed the girls backstage before returning to the ballroom. The Leatherjackets went on and played a set similar to their set list on the road, except they ended it by playing one of the Rag Dolls’ songs.
“Hey, that’s us,” Darlene remarked.
“How sweet,” Michelle said.
“So they do listen to us,” Mary joked.
“Maybe they’re our number one fans,” Darlene said with a laugh as she nudged Mary, who laughed with her.
Once their set was done, the girls went on and played their planned set, which was similar to their set on tour except they added in the songs they recorded that week. After the show, everyone went off and it was like when they were on tour. Darlene and Eric went off, pulling pranks on drunken people and hiding pop rocks in the food. Keith, Kurt, Mary and Kim were having a conversation, and Michelle and Sid joined in after they greeted each other.
Some music was playing through the speakers of the ballroom now, and a few people were dancing. Mary joined in with the dancing immediately, swaying to the semi-swift rock music. Keith, who was dancing as well, approached her.
“Mind if I join you.”
Mary stared at him with surprise for a moment before shaking it off. Though she felt déjà vu of the moment which started her odd feelings towards Keith, she knew he was different now and she had to give him a chance.
“Sure.”
They danced for a minute before Mary realized something.
“I see your leg’s better. Are you supposed to dance at this stage?”
“No, not really, but I had to be free for tonight. I wanted to ‘ave fun, didn’t I?”
“Doesn’t it hurt?”
“I ain’t gonna lie, it hurts quite a bit, but I can live with it.”
“You’re barmy,” she said with a laugh. “You get that thing put back on your leg after tonight, eh?”
“I will, I will!”
“You better. You’ll break it even more, you crazy bastard.”
“At least if it gets worse, I’ll still have the new me.”
“The ‘you’ that isn’t obsessed with money and being the best rock star on the planet?”
“Yeah. I’ll be honest, I lost myself a bit. Now I sort of remember why I started playing music in the first place though. I love to play, that’s all – plain and simple. I love music. I love everything it means and lets me do. I can’t believe I almost lost myself because I was so selfish. For me, it’s about the music again though.”
“That’s wonderful, Keith. You know, I’m proud of you. You’ve become a better person once you’ve realized something like that.”
“Maybe. I think I have.”
“I think you have too. Now, let me be honest Keith: when I first met you, I thought ‘Geez, this guy’s a bloody wanker who doesn’t deserve this kind of fame; I mean, he’s not even in it for the music, he’s just a money lover.’ Since then, my mind has changed though. Underneath, you were always a good guy. You just lost yourself.”
“Well, I sort of think everyone’s a good guy underneath. I mean, everyone always thinks that what they’re doing will help in the end, don’t they? They think it’ll help someone, at least.”
“Good point. Well, I’m glad you’re past the ‘thinking-you’re-helping-yourself-and-your-band-but-you’re-actually-making-everyone-miserable’ phase,” Mary joked.
“I’m glad I am too.”