Status: This is set in the 'YOU' look, as if you're describing yourself. Orea (you) is a girl. I do hope you like this story and will enjoy it!

His Maid, Her Butler

Her Butler, Investigator

The rest of your afternoon was dull, nothing worth while. You took the time to inspect the house, making sure everything was clean. To your surprise, it was better than clean; Orea had done an excellent job.

“You have my approval, well done,” you said to yourself, congratulating Orea. “Even I couldn’t do this much in one day.”

Blundering around the manor, having nothing to do, made you uneasy. It felt strange to be doing nothing when you had always done something. Entering the kitchen, you found Bard shuffling through the cabinets.

“Ah, so you’ve returned, Baldroy,” you said, coming to stand by the counter.

“Yeah, what of it?” Bard asked, grabbing a jar of…something.

You sighed, annoyed. “You were not present for your duties this afternoon. You need to keep things like that in check-“

“Yeah, yeah; Orea already talked to me about that. Won’t happen again, promise,” interrupted Bard, retrieving another jar of oddities from the cabinet.

“That is good to hear,” you said. You picked up the jars that Bard had sat on the counter and stared at them confused. “Baldroy, what is this?”

Bard shrugged. “I don’t know. I just found them pushed back here collectin’ dust. Thought I might open ‘em and find out what those weird things are.” He gave you a sidelong look. “Wanna find out with me?”

You shook your head, placing the jar back where it had been. “No thank-you. I do not care for such mysteries. For all I know, they look as though they need to be thrown out.”

“Psht,” Bard scoffed. “Scared are ya?”

You glared at Bard, making him cringe. “No, I am not. I simply do not care for such nonsense.”

“Alright, but you could be missin’ out!” Bard said as you left.

“I doubt that,” you mumbled in the hallway.

Entering the account room, you found Tanaka already at the desk. “Oh, you’ve beat me to it.”

Tanaka looked up and smiled. “Yes; you were busy earlier so I took it upon myself to go over the accounts.”

You bowed your head to him. “I thank-you for the help, it is very much appreciated.”

“You are welcome, Sebastian,” replied Tanaka.

Leaving the accounts in Tanaka’s capable hands, you went to see about Mey-Rin. She was in the adjoining room of the kitchen, shining the silver. “Mey-Rin,” you asked cautiously. “Is all well here?”

She spun around at the sound of your voice, her face blossoming with a pink blush. “Y-yes, Sebastian. I was just polishin’ the silver, I was.”

You picked up a plate and inspected it. “Well done, it’s spotless.”

Mey-Rin swooned at your praise. “That’s wonderful!”

You gave her a look as if she were odd, but you made your way out of the back room and out to the grounds. Finny was amongst the trees near the pathway. He was happily humming to himself, snipping off the branches that were sticking too far out.

“You’re actually making the trimming even, it adds beauty to the landscape when all is perfect,” you said, inspecting the trees.

Finny jumped at your voice, cutting off the top of the tree he was working on. You sighed, regretting your words. Finny went into panic mode. “Ah! I’m so sorry, Sebastian! I was trimming the hedges and the trees and I was doing so well until just now!”

You put a hand up to stop him. “It’s alright, Finnian, I can fix this.”

Finny heaved a sigh. “That’s a relief.”

You nodded. Looking off at the woods, you asked Finny, curious, “Finnian, where is Pluto? Usually he comes straight for me when I come outside, or he’s right at your heels, but he hasn’t shown his face at all in the last few minutes.”

Finny realized the same thing. “No, I haven’t either. I was worried about that; could he have run away?” That brought tears to his eyes. “Oh, Plu-plu! Why would you?”

His actions were getting on your nerves; leaving his side, you went into the woods in search of the Demon Hound. What you found shocked you. Curled up in a sunny spot were Orea and Pluto, asleep. Orea was snuggled into Pluto, he having his arms and legs wrapped around her and he was sleep-licking her face. The sight disturbed you in an odd way. There was a feeling you had never had before; was it, jealousy? No, it couldn’t be, demons did not have this feeling; but still, you felt it. Striding up to them, you ripped Pluto from Orea. Instantly, they woke up.

“What…” Orea rubbed here eyes sleepily. When she could see, she looked up and saw you giving her an unapproving glare. She stood up quickly. “Sebastian!”

Pluto hung from his hand, struggling to get down and back to sleep. “I thought you had a busy schedule?”

“I-I did…do. I came out here to see about Pluto, and…” She looked away, ashamed.

“It unnerves me to know you lied to me,” you said, your temper shortening. Pluto whined.

Orea’s eyes grew in shock at your accusation. “I have done no such thing!”

“Then why were you slacking off?” you asked harshly.

Pluto still struggled against your hold; he broke free with a yelp and ran to Orea’s side, clinging to her. Orea smiled and stroked the top of his head. “I came to see Pluto before I finished my work, just a short rest, but I over did it.” Tears painted her face and Pluto whimpered, wrapping his arms around her.

You bowed. “I’m sorry to have upset you, do forgive me.”

Orea shook her head. “No, I am sorry.” She choked out a laugh. “I don’t know what came over me just now.”

Stepping closer to her, you placed a hand on her cheek and wiped the tears away. She stared at you unmoving. “Then, if you are all done, may I ask for you to return to your duties?”

“Yes,” she said, still transfixed.

Giving her a mock smile, you said, “Very good. I believe there was an attic on your list for today.”

Orea nodded. “There is indeed, so if you will excuse me…” Ruffling Pluto’s hair as a good-bye, she ran off to the manor.

You stared after her. “What am I to do?” You looked down to see Pluto attached to your leg. You scoffed in disgust and kicked your leg out, making him go flying. “Go chase a rabbit unless you wish to become the first thing I take care of.”

A crash and a howl resounded from the other end of the yard as you made your way back inside the manor. Opening the door, a small noise came from the bushes; turning around quickly, you searched frantically for the creature that had made that angelic sound. The cat came out of hiding and sat at your feet, purring as it nuzzled its head against your leg.

“How perfect!” Scooping up the cat into your arms, you petted it fondly. “Such exquisite silky fur, as dark as the dead of night; paws, so soft and gentle; a face, such beauty in it. Yes, a wonderful creature!”

The cat purred contently as you stroked it; it enjoyed the attention. The rest of the afternoon, that’s all you did. Cats started coming from everywhere and so you entertained them. It gave you pleasure to be in the midst of the felines, but you knew the young master would never allow you to bring them into the manor, he being allergic to them. You sighed unhappily as the sun began to set along the horizon, beckoning you back to your duties.

“I am very sorry, but I must return to my work now.” You bowed to the occult of cats that were crowded outside the door and entered the house.

Upon entering, you were almost run over by Bard who was at the present trying to put out a fire that had started from the oven. You rushed for a bucket and filled it with water, then you dumped it on the oven, smoke curling from it as the flames went out.

“Baldroy, what happened here?” You turned to face him and were startled by the enormous chef’s hat that rested on his head.

“Uh, yeah…about that,” confessed Bard. “I was tryin’ to cook the pie that’s for dinner…and I might ‘ave started it with me flamethrower to speed up the process of cooking it.”

You shook your head, breathing an annoyed sigh. “Baldroy, how many times have I told you, do not use that weapon in this house!”

Bard scratched the back of his neck, uncomfortable. “A few hundred times, I would say.”

You headed out of the kitchen, any more time and you would have made Bard into the pies for the evening meal. “Get the place cleaned up and begin again on dinner.” You halted midway down the corridor and came back. “And please, do not experiment with those jars you found,” you added.

Bard’s shoulders fell a little. “Alright! Now go and let me do my job.” He stuck his tongue out as he faced the stove.

“I saw that,” you said over your shoulder. Bard stood up straight and went to work quickly.

You went to the recreation room to find Ciel for dinner; he was there, along with a new guest, Lau. They both turned to look as you came in.

“Hello, Sebastian,” greeted Lau.

You saw Ciel’s face was stressed, trying to look calm but not succeeding. “Hello, Mr. Lau.”

Lau placed a card on the table and drew another. “I came just to visit for a while. Miss Lady Elizabeth was sad to be leaving as I arrived, but I assured her that I would come again when she had called.”

“That is very well indeed, Mr. Lau.” You turned to Ciel. “Young master, dinner will be ready soon; please allow me to escort you to the dinning room.” You looked back at Lau. “And will you be joining us?”

Lau had an indescribable smile on his face. “Oh, yes, quite. Very nice of you to offer to let me dine with you for the evening. I am most hungry.”
“Then please, follow me.” You began to leave when Lau laughed.

“What are we doing again?” Lau asked.

Ciel snapped. “We are going to eat! You just invited yourself over and you don’t even know what was just asked of you! Really, that is pathetic.” He walked out of the room with a huff.

You opened the door to the dinning room for them and they placed themselves in their respected seats. Excusing yourself, you went to the kitchen to see to the meal. It was ready upon your arrival. “Excellent!” You looked around. “Where is Orea?”

Bard, Mey-Rin, and Finny all looked between each other. “I don’t know, haven’t seen her in a while,” answered Mey-Rin.

You glanced up and nodded. “I shall return in a moment.” You glared at them. “Do not eat the food.”

They all bowed, scared. “Yes, sir!”

You hurried up to the attic, timing yourself so you could get dinner on the table in time. She was right where you thought she would be. Peering in, she was carrying a large box across the room. She almost made it, but catching her foot against an unseen object at her feet, she tripped and the box fell. You dashed in and caught it right before it hit the floor.

“Ow!” complained Orea. Sitting up, she saw you. “Oh! Sebastian, what are you doing up here?”

You extended a hand to her. “It is time for dinner. We also have a guest, so you will need to be present in the dinning room. Come, get yourself cleaned up.”

She took your hand and stood, brushing the dust from her garments. The two of you returned to the kitchen in time to take the plates into the dinning room and serve supper.

“For this evening’s meal we have a Chicken-pot-pie, accompanied with a tossed salad, and a sparkling cherry cider for your drink.”

Orea came round and poured Lau and Ciel their drinks then stepped back behind Lau’s seat, waiting on further instructions.

Lau took notice. “My, my, she’s a pretty one. When did you get a new hand?”

Ciel placed his fork back on the plate. “About two days ago she came to me seeking a job. I gave it to her on the spot and she’s done a splendidly since then.”

Orea turned her face, but you noticed the blush that spread across her face. Lau continued on rambling.

He studied you and Orea for a time before he blurted out, “Now wouldn’t that be a nice picture?”
“What would?” asked Ciel.

“The butler and the maid. They look to suit each other so well; wouldn’t you agree, Ciel?” Lau said.

Ciel almost choked on the bite he had just put in his mouth. “I beg your pardon; did you tell me just now that my butler and maid should be matched together?”

Orea’s face grew bright red and she turned herself halfway so no one could see her face at all; it shocked you to hear those words come from Lau’s mouth. You were a demon, there was no such thing as love within that description.

“Yes, I did,” replied Lau. “Two simple yet mysterious people, both of this world but also not quite.”

All of you stared at Lau, even Orea; she snapped back around and stared at him, frightened. “What do you mean by that?” Ciel asked, leaning in.

“Mean by what?” asked Lau.

Ciel sat back, dumbfounded. “You were just talking about my butler and maid! How do you not remember?”

“I don’t recall ever saying anything, but to add to that, wouldn’t they make a fine couple! They look as though they were made for one another,” sung Lau.

Ciel placed his head in his hand and tried to calm down so he wouldn’t strangle his guest. Orea had turned back around, still blushing. You watched the scene play out as calmly as ever, but Lau’s words still rang in your head. ‘Two simple yet mysterious people, both of this world but also not quite.’ What did he mean by that? The rest of the meal was eaten in silence and as soon as the meal was over, Lau excused himself and returned home. Orea cleaned the kitchen while you took Ciel to his room to ready him for bed.

“Sebastian,” said Ciel, standing near the bed as you finished buttoning up his shirt. “I wanted to ask you something.”

“Yes, young master?” you answered.

“Orea, have you figured out what she is yet?” asked Ciel, crawling into bed.

“No,” you replied, picking up the candlestick.

Ciel mumbled something in response, but it was inaudible. Smiling, you left the room and went seeking Orea. You found her in the recreation room, cleaning up after Ciel and Lau and setting up a set of cards for the two of you. You knocked on the door as you entered, making her jump.

“So you wish to play me here,” you said, pulling out a seat for Orea to sit.
She took your offer and sat, shuffling the cards. “Yes, somewhere where no one can hear us if we get rowdy.”

You laughed. “So what is the game we are to play?”

“A form of Solitaire,” she answered, shuffling another set of cards. “Though, I prefer to call it ‘The Devils Six’.”

“Why do you call it that?” you asked with a chuckle.

She grinned. “We play as if we are playing Solitaire, though we place Ace’s in the center and build on those and the four we have in front of us trying to deplete the stack of thirteen to the side, but there is a wild card, a joker. That is your devil. The one who ends up with that card in their stack has a tally-mark put down. We play six rounds and the one who has the most tally-marks is marked as a devil. It is simple, just a fun child’s game.”

You nodded. “Then let us begin.”

Orea handed you the set of cards she had just shuffled and she took the set next to herself. Dealing them out, the game began. You watched Orea out the corner of your eye; she was fast, but you were able to keep up easily. As the game drew to an end you pulled your next to last card, not surprised at all.

You flipped it around to where Orea could see it. “Strike one.”

Orea make a mark on the pad of paper beside her, giving you a devious grin. “Next round.”

It continued on like that. The games went fast, both of you trading the joker. Orea giggled most of the time, you being faster than her at one point and herself not being able to keep up. It was all in fun, and at the end, Orea counted the marks.

“One, two…four.” Orea made a hissing sound. “Sebastian, I’m sorry to say, but you are a devil.”

You stared at her, a fiendish smiling playing at your lips. “No need to be forward, I am simply one demon of a butler.”

Orea laughed. “Nice play on words.” She stood and wrapped the shawl that had been hidden behind her around herself. “I had a wonderful time, Sebastian. We should so this more often.”

You nodded, standing as well and bowing. “Yes, it was most enjoyable.”

She gave you a smile and went for the door; she turned, grasping the handle, and said, “Good-night, I shall see you in the morning.”

Something about her demeanor was shaky, but you bowed your head to her. “Good-night.”

She exited the room silently and you cleaned up. As you finished, a faint sound was made, coming from the hallway. You walked out to find what it was; listening closer, it was a cat’s meow. You frantically searched for where it was coming from. The noise led you closer to the servant’s sleeping quarters, making you very puzzled. As you started your ascension of the back stairs, it stopped; you looked around to see where it was, but there was no cat. Leaving in disappointment, you returned to your room. It was dark, so you didn’t notice the figure standing next to the door, waiting. You were taken by surprise when the individual flung itself at you and wrapped its arms around your neck; pulling you into an embrace, they kissed you. The kiss wasn’t long; as soon as it happened they were gone the next minute, slipping away into the night. You stood outside your room, stunned.

‘What just happened?’ you thought, tracing your lips with your fingers.

You brushed it off, entering your room for the night. You didn’t notice Orea standing at the end of the hallway, watching you. Her heart raced and she clung tightly to her shawl.

“Sebastian, I’m sorry, but I couldn’t hold back, I had to. Please forgive me. I promise, until your memories return, I will not interfere again,” she said, her breath coming quickly. Turning back, she went to her room for rest.