Status: This is set in the 'YOU' look, as if you're describing yourself. Orea (you) is a girl. I do hope you like this story and will enjoy it!

His Maid, Her Butler

His Maid, Waiting

Two years passed since that night. You scolded yourself all the time over it, but Sebastian never confronted you. Things at the manor progressed as usual, but the spirits of everyone lifted each day that passed. There was always singing or a dance here or there, just to keep the dullness of the manor from sinking in too deeply. Ciel grew to be a fine young man. You had remembered seeing a picture of his father some time ago, and when you saw Ciel, he was a spiting image of him. Lady Elizabeth visited more and more often; then again, she was to be moving in permanently within the span of the next three years. Bard, Finny, Mey-Rin, Snake, Pluto and Tanaka were the same as ever. There never was a dull moment with them; they always made you smile. And then there was Sebastian; you took notice that he watched you constantly. You worried he had figured out that it was you who had kissed him, but you uttered not a sound, nor did he. You liked the fact that he had eyes only for you, though Ciel caught on after a while, noticing Sebastian’s strange new habit blossom; he didn’t like it.

It was now a chilly December night and you were out and about, running from store to store to get the items you needed and to keep as warm as you could before the trek back to the manor. It was only a week till Ciel’s sixteenth birthday. He wasn’t too thrilled, but everyone else in the manor was in a celebrating mood, including Lady Elizabeth. She insisted on having a party, Ciel’s consent or not. As you hurried along the street, you ran through your list to make sure you had gotten everything.

“Streamers, paper for hats and ribbons, glitter, order for cake, order of fresh fruits for punch…” You skimmed the foot long list over twice. “That’s everything.” Hauling the last load into the wagon, you pulled yourself into the driver’s seat and headed back to the manor.

You couldn’t understand how all of this was going to work, since Ciel was seeking you out for consenting with Elizabeth. You kept an eye on the items in the back of the wagon, making sure they didn’t fall out. On one of these occasions you almost ran into a passerby.

“Whoa!” you cried to the horses, tugging at their reigns.

The men standing in front of you ran to the side of the road as fast as they could. Jumping down from the seat, you went to their side. “Are you two alright?” you asked.

“Yes,” replied the taller one. He had olive colored skin, slate-grey eyes and had two long white strands of hair hanging at the side of his face, a turban on his head and a bindi in the middle of his forehead. He wore a green sherwani with a yellow and white sash with white churidars, his right hand was wrapped and his feet were wrapped up in what appeared to be some kind of hide. He smiled at you kindly. “Everything is fine. My prince and I were not injured.”

You stared at him in shock. You pointed to the shorter one. “He is a prince?”

The shorter man gave you a look as if you were dumb. “Yes, I am. I am Prince Soma, twenty-sixth child of the King of Bengal.”

“Oh! So you are Prince Soma!” You clapped your hands, delighted.

Soma raised an eyebrow. “So you know of me?”

You nodded. “Oh yes. The young master his told quite some interesting tales of you.”

Soma’s eyes lit up and he threw his arms around you, hugging you tightly. “You work for Ciel, that is wonderful! We were trying to get to his manor just now. Oh, bless Kali, we are saved!”

“I do, now, would you please stop hugging me, I can’t breathe.” You pushed at his arms.

“Oh!” detaching himself from you, he stood next to the other man with a look of excitement in his eyes.

The other man bowed to you. “If you would not mind, may we ride with you to the manor?”

“No, I do not mind.” You turned back around and grabbed hold of the sides of the wagon; you were unexpectedly picked up and hoisted in. You looked back to see the man in the green tunic had lifted you. “Thank-you.”

“You are most welcome,” he replied.

Soma climbed in next to you and the other man went around to the back and sat in the wagon bed. You looked back at him and motioned for him to come to the front. “You may sit up here with us, sir. There is plenty of room.”

He shook his head. “I am fine where I am; a servant must be humble enough to always let his master have the double portion.”

You blinked in surprise. “You are a servant?”

“He is my kasama, Agni,” replied Soma. “A well trained kasama and a dear friend.”

Agni stared at his prince, awestruck. Tears welled in his eyes. “Oh, my prince!”

Flicking the reigns, the horses started off and Agni was jolted from his sitting position, falling back. “Sorry!” you called over your back. “It is a little bumpy on the road.”

“I’m alright,” mumbled Agni, sitting himself back up.

The trip did not take long, though there was a howling wind that decided to blow partway back. Soma wrapped his arms around himself, shivering. Agni seemed to not be affected by the cold, he sat perfectly calm in the wagon bed. You nudged Soma. “Would you like to sit closer to me?”

Soma looked at you surprised. “Are you sure about that, miss?”

You nodded. “It will keep us both warmer.”
Taking your offer, Soma scooted so close he was practically sitting on your lap. Agni watched the two of you from the back, he was smiling. The ride back wasn’t long, but all of you were freezing when the horses stopped outside the backdoor. Finny came rushing out the door.

“You’re back!” he said, taking the horse’s reigns.

“And I have everything Lady Elizabeth told me to get.” Soma jumped from the wagon and you followed after him. Agni caught you mid jump and lowered you to the ground. “You didn’t have to do that.”

“I always try to help in any way I can,” replied Agni.

Finny noticed them and waved. “Hello Prince Soma, Agni.”

“Hello, Finny!” cried Soma, patting Finny on the back. “Are you well?”

“Yup!” answered Finny.

“That’s it good!” Soma smacked him on the back.

You had snuck away from the group and walked to the door, entering the manor. “If anyone wants to be warmed, I would advise you to come inside.”

Soma and Agni hurried after you; Finny went to put the horses up and unload the wagon. All of you rushed towards the fire that was lit in the kitchen, it felt nice to finally stand by something warm. You removed your coat, gloves and scarf and hung them on the coat rack in the far wall then came back to the men’s side.

“I am sorry for bringing you in this way, but if you would like to see the young master now, I can take you to him,” you said, motioning towards the door.

Soma nodded. “Please.”

Agni, though, had a pondering look on his face. “Ma’am, I do not believe we ever asked you of your name.”

You laughed. “Oh my, I believe not. That’s alright; I am Orea Creaton, the Head house-maid.”

“Orea…” Soma stared at you, star-struck. “That is a beautiful name.”

You blushed. “Thank-you for the compliment; now please, follow me.” You escorted Soma and Agni through the manor. You checked the drawing room, no one. You went to the library next; Ciel was there, but he was in the middle of a history lesson.

“Russia was-” Sebastian stopped as the door opened.

“Ciel!” Soma rushed from your side and over to Ciel, wrapping him in a hug.
Ciel’s face fell. “Hello, Prince Soma.”

Sebastian walked to where Agni and you stood and greeted Agni. “Hello, friend.”

“Ah, Sebastian! It is good to see you again!” Agni shook Sebastian’s outstretched hand.

Your eyebrow raised in surprise. “Friend. I never thought I would hear that word come from you.”

A chuckle escaped Sebastian’s lips. “I never thought I would either.”

Soma would not let go of Ciel; he was blabbering on about this and that, crying his eyes out. Ciel sat in his chair, face grim. It was a sight to see, making you giggle slightly. Agni went to his master’s side and gently pried him off of Ciel. It still did not improve upon Ciel mood, neither did the arrival of Lady Elizabeth, who burst through the open door behind you and came running up to Ciel, swathing him in another hug.

“Oh Ciel! I have wonderful news!” Elizabeth hugged Ciel even tighter, his face falling in despair. “Father and Mother are allowing me to stay for the whole of next week! Won’t that be fun? Of course, Edward will be coming as well.” She made a pouty face.

Ciel sighed in annoyance and took her hands from him and stood. He had grown in the last two years, now reaching the bottom of Sebastian’s nose. “Lizzy, I am very well enthused by your news, and Prince Soma, I am glad to see you again; but as you all can very well see, I was in the middle of studies and I need to return to them.” Ciel waved a hand at you. “Orea, would you please show the guests to the drawing room, I shall be there shortly.”

You bowed. “Yes, young master.”

Sebastian shut the door behind you as you left, Elizabeth, Soma and Agni all following behind you. You led them straight to the drawing room and excused yourself to make them some tea. You gathered everything from the kitchen as quick as you could, knowing you needed to rebuild the fire in the drawing room. Placing everything on a tray, you came back to the room to find Agni attending to the fire.

“You did not have to do that,” you told him, setting the tea on a table. “I am perfectly capable of attending to the house’s needs.”

Agni smiled sweetly at you. “I am a servant as well; it pleases me to be of help.”

You sighed, a smiling playing at your mouth. “Well then, Agni, would you mind giving this to your master?” You handed him a cup of delicious smelling liquid.

“Certainly.” Agni took the cup from you and gave it to Soma.

You gave the other to Elizabeth. She let out a squeal of delight when she realized what the drink was. “Hot cocoa! A perfect drink on a cold day.”

You nodded. “I began to grab the tea when I changed my mind and thought that this suited the day better.”

Soma took a long draught and licked his lips. “Delicious! Is there any more of this?”

“Yes,” you laughed. “Would you like another cup?”

“Please!” Soma extended the cup out to you and you took it, refilling it. He held the cup as if it were precious to him; he really did like the cocoa.

You poured another cup for Agni. “Sit down by the fire as well. There are no objections on cold days like this to not being formal servants.”

Elizabeth agreed. “Please, you must warm yourself; we don’t need anyone catching cold or worse.”

Agni accepted the cup with a bow of his head and sat. You sat next to Elizabeth and watched over everyone. Elizabeth nudged your arm; you were staring off into space. She pointed to the tray. “That included you, Orea.”

You laughed. “I know; I just wanted to make sure everyone was well taken care of before I had a cup.”

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. “No you were not. You were going to go without any and just sit by the fire. What happened to the things you just told us?” She stated matter-of-factly.

You sighed. “You’ve gotten to know me too well, Lady Elizabeth.” You stood and poured yourself a cup. Sitting back down next to her, you waved it in front of her. “See, I have a cup now; are you happy?”

She nodded. “Perfectly.”

The four of you sat in silence, the only noises as of that of the fire and the howling of the wind. The room grew warmer and everyone began to relax, their bodies not being forced to stop shivering. Soma was nodding off in his chair, having finished three cups of cocoa; Agni tended to the fire, Elizabeth stared happily off into space and you watched over it all. There was nothing for you all to do until Ciel arrived. It was a good hour later, but Ciel entered the drawing room, Sebastian at his heals. Soma had just dozed off when the door opened, and as it shut he jumped, almost knocking himself out of the chair.

Elizabeth patted the seat you had vacated the moment they had walked in. “Come sit, Ciel. Orea can make you a cup of hot cocoa.”

Soma rubbed his eyes, Ciel sitting across from him, and grinned. “I did not intend to fall asleep, I am sorry for my behavior.”

Ciel waved a hand. “No, you are fine; you had a tiring day.” He took the hot cocoa you gave him.

“A very cold day I may say,” yawned Soma.

You took your place next to Sebastian who was standing off towards the corner of the room. He was staring out the window at the falling snow. You blushed as you watched him, he was strikingly hansom and the features in his face were calm and relaxed. You stared at him till he noticed and startled you by smiling.

“Is there a problem?” he asked, still giving you that dazzling grin.

His eyes sought yours fervently. You didn’t understand why, but you were caught in his grasp and he was unrelenting to let you go. “N-no, there’s no problem. I was admiring the snow out the window, same as you.” Your heart raced as you tried to stay calm walking over to the widow. “Is it not lovely? The pure unblemished white of winter.”

He stared out the widow again. “It is a sight, I do say, but I do not know if I feel the same as you. Things like these do not catch my taste. To be honest, I know nothing of the sort.”

It shocked you. “Nothing, nothing at all?”

He shook his head. “No.” Sebastian cocked his head to the side and smiled at you in a dashing yet light way. “Would you be kind enough to show me?”

You blushed, a hand flying to your mouth. “If you wish for me to.”

“Please,” Sebastian bowed.

You could hear the others in the background, but none of them mattered. Your chest felt tight, seeing Sebastian acting the way he was, innocent and charming, with that cover of slyness. Reaching out, you were about to grab hold of Sebastian’s arm when your name was called.

“Orea, would you please come over here?” Ciel asked. You did as you were told and came to his side. “I would like for you to show Prince Soma to his room for the evening, plus, you will be a helper for Agni,” Ciel ordered.

“Yes, sir,” you answered. Turning to the half awake prince you beckoned him to follow you. “Follow me and I will have you in a nice warm bed.”

Soma nodded and followed after you, walking as if drunk. Agni placed a firm hand on his shoulder to steady him. You could feel Soma’s eyes watching you as you escorted him to the room, it made you uncomfortable. Finding the guest room, you opened the door and bowed. “This is where you will be staying. Have a good-night’s rest.”

“Thank-you,” mumbled Soma, walking in and falling down onto the bed, instantly falling asleep.

Agni and you shared a laugh; he bowed to you and entered the room. “Good-night, Miss Orea.”

“Good-night, Agni.” You bowed back and left. You ran into Elizabeth as she was leaving.
“Orea!” she cried; taking you by the hand she whispered, “Did you get what was on the list?”

“Indeed I did, my Lady,” you answered.

She squealed in delight. “That is wonderful! Thank-you so much, Orea; this will be a spectacular birthday!”

It was a delight to see her so happy. “It certainly shall be.”

Departing with a wide grin, Elizabeth left and you went on to the kitchen to make sure everything was put away. All clean and neat, so you headed on to bed yourself. You were stopped midway up the stairs by Sebastian, who ran straight into you.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I did not see you there,” he said, taking your arm to steady you.

“It is alright, I’m fine,” you replied. “No harm done.”

Standing to the side, he let you pass. You had made it up only a couple more stares when you were stopped again. Sebastian grabbed the back of your skirt, making you unable to move forward.

“Sebastian, is something the matter?” you asked, yanking on your skirt.

He looked up at you, his eyes glowing red, the pupils becoming slits. “You have been avoiding the subject for two years now, is there not something you should be telling me?”

Your heart hammered in your chest. Tugging again at your skirt, you tried to break free. “I have no clue as to what you are talking about.”

He pulled you down to him, trapping you by wrapping an arm around you. He leaned in close; you could feel his breath as it brushed against the exposed skin on your neck and face. “I know it was you that night Orea, nothing happens without me knowing.”

You laughed, it sounded strained. “What night? Sebastian, truly, are you well?”

Lowering his face just inches from yours, he had backed you up against the wall. “Then should I make you remember?” His eyes glowed ferociously, irritation held in them.

“What-?” you started, but he cut you off.

Running a hand down your cheek, he bent his face to your neck. You jumped, your heart beating even faster. His hand rested above it and he chuckled. “As I suspected.” He stood up and released you, his composer returning to normal. “I am sorry, please forgive my actions.”

You stood against the wall, breathing heavily and clutching your waist. “I forgive you.”

Sebastian smiled and continued on down the stairs. At the end, he looked back up at you. “Sleep well.”
“As do you,” you replied.

He left your sight, leaving you plastered to the wall. Sliding down, you sat there for what seemed like hours. He knew, but you still couldn’t tell him; all he knew was that you had kissed him, not the past. Hugging your knees to yourself, you thought it over. ‘I never thought he’d try to use that approach to get me to tell him, but he is a demon after all. I still cannot get involved though, it is too early. If there are signs of recognition, then I will, but until then I must continue being as human as ever; though it is getting harder and harder to be when you have to go over Records every night.’ You sighed as you thought of that. The Records awaited you in your room to be filed and you had no energy or motivation to do them. Pushing yourself off the ground, you started for your room once more. “I have to do it though,” you said, taking hold of the knob. “If I don’t, who will?” Lighting the lamp at your desk after getting yourself comfortable, you began your true work.

You were brutally awakened in the morning by a consistent knocking at your door. Groaning, you stumbled out of bed and opened the door; Agni’s smiling face greeted you.

“Good-morning,” he said, bowing. “I hope you do not mind, but my prince asked me to find you.”

Yawning, you stretched. “Would you give me a few minutes please to get changed?”

Agni blushed as he realized you were standing in the doorway with just your nightdress on. “Oh! Please forgive. I will wait downstairs.” He bowed again and hurried off.

You chuckled sleepily and closed the door. Looking back at your bed, it was littered in papers. You groaned; it had taken you till three that morning to finish. There were over a thousand deaths to occur all over the world in that one month and you had sorted through every single one and deemed which ones went and which lucky few lived a little longer. Straightening them up somewhat, you stuffed them under your covers and dressed. You were downstairs ten minutes later; there, but still not fully awake.

Agni waited patiently in the kitchen. “Hello, Miss Orea,” he said as you entered yawning.

Mey-Rin and Tanaka sat at the table, finishing their breakfast. You joined them, Agni placing a hot plate of eggs, ham and toast in front of you. It smelled delicious; it tasted even better.

“Agni, this is wonderful!” you exclaimed. “How did you get it to taste like this?”

“I did nothing,” replied Agni. “I simply made eggs and ham.”

You raised an eyebrow, not believing it. “Are you sure? This is not of the level of ordinary eggs and ham.”

Agni shook his head. “There is nothing different in them.”

“I’ve been here the whole time,” stated Mey-Rin. “He’s telling the truth, he only made eggs and ham as you usually do. He even asked Bard to tell him how you made them, yes he did.”
“Still,” you said, turning back to your food, “you are one amazing cook.”

“Thank-you,” said Agni.

All of you finished your food and went to work. You went straight to Prince Soma’s room and knocked on the door. Soma flung it open and beamed with delight. “Miss Orea! I am glad you could make it up here now!”

You bowed. “As I am to be.”

Soma frowned. “What has got your churidars in a bunch?”

“I am sorry, I didn’t get much sleep last night,” you answered.

Before you knew it, you were pulled into the room and bundled up on his bed. Soma sat down next to you and stroked your head, making your eyes heavy. “Then please, get some rest.”

You pushed his hand away and sat up. “No, your highness, that would not be right.”

Soma pushed you back down, shaking his head. “I cannot have you falling asleep everywhere else. Rest now, I will even sing you a lullaby.”

You tried again to push his hand away, but you were too lazy. Lulled to sleep by Soma’s song, you rested for a bit. When you woke, you found Soma lying next to you, asleep himself. No one had come to find you, which made you happy; Sebastian would have killed you if he had seen what had happened. Crawling out of the bed quietly, you went to the fireplace to build the fire. Thinking as you stoked the fire, it felt as though there was too much on your plate; there was not enough time to manage the manor and the Records. Sighing, you stood and went quietly out the door; you ran into Agni as you turned around.

“Good afternoon,” you said.

Agni bowed. “Good afternoon to you as well. Is my Prince inside?”

You nodded. “Yes, he is asleep right now.”

Taking hold of the knob, Agni glanced inside; he smiled at the sight. “Then I shall not disturb him.” Looking over his shoulder at you, he inquired, “If it isn’t any trouble, may I help you with your work today, Miss Orea?”

You were beginning to like Agni more and more. He was kind, and always willing to help. Nodding, he followed you around the manor as you went on your rounds to see that everything was in order. Everything seemed to be until you found Mey-Rin in a heap of bedclothes, fighting her way out so that she could wash them.

“Mey-Rin, how did you get yourself like this?” you asked, yanking at one of the sheets; it wouldn’t budge.

“I was trying to untangle a small knot that had caught itself in one of the sheets, and the next thing I know, I was tangled up in them, I was,” she replied, wiggling a bit.

You looked over to see Agni scanning over the situation. Taking hold of one of the ends, Agni lightly yanked on it. He examined the rest of the bundle and found his way inside; pulling lightly at each of the sheets, they unwound and fell to the ground. Mey-Rin was relieved to be free and gathered them off the floor.

“It’s nice to be out of there,” she giggled. “Thank-you.”

Agni waved a hand, having been thanked frequently since his arrival. “Do not mention it.”

Humming a cheerful tune, Mey-Rin went outside to finish the wash. You and Agni checked in on the others. Tanaka was well, sitting in a solitary corner, peacefully drinking tea; Bard was outside with Finny picking the vegetables, and Pluto was happily chasing a family of rabbits around the yard. Sebastian was out with Ciel, on an errand of secrecy. That was everything.

“My job is done now,” you told Agni, returning to the kitchen. “Would you care to go outside and help entertain Pluto with me?”

Agni beamed with delight. “Anything you wish of me to do.”

“Me too!” You both turned to find Soma standing in the doorway. “I don’t want to sleep all day; come on!” He led the way, rushing for Pluto with arms outstretched. You and Angi laughed, following after him.