New Beginnings.

Four.

We were settling into Chicago pretty good, Lucas loved his new daycare and spending time with his daddy. He was so excited when Patrick Kane came by the house. Other than his dad, that was his other favorite Blackhawk player.

I was nervous about starting in a new university. I had a few of my new books out on the table when Jonathan and Lucas got home, Jon loved the idea of dropping and picking his son up from daycare or bringing him to the arena, since training camp was soon to start the out of town players were starting to come back. The players took to Lucas, they were all shocked, but its only natural. They win a Stanley Cup and their serious captain comes back with a two year old.

“Momma, I made this.” Lucas said walking to the table holding a drawing that was meant to be all of us with the cup. I took it and placed it on the fridge.
“This is just great Lucas.” I told him, bending down on his level hugging him. “Did you have fun today.”
“Lots of new friends.” He said.
“I’m glad.” I said. I got ready for dinner, Lucas helped as much as he could.

I loved the idea of having my little family. I was a little mad at myself for waiting so long, I could of had this a long time ago. I could just hear Luc saying “I told you so.” I would give anything to hear that voice.

Supper was over and then it was soon time to get Lucas ready for bed. We tucked him in and then Jon and I cuddled on the couch.
“You okay?” Jon asked.
“I’m fine.” I told him.
“You know I can tell when you are lying. You still never got any better at that.” He replied. “What’s wrong.”
“Just thinking of how I wish I could hear Luc say “I told you so.” I was so dumb not to listen to anyone.” I told him.
“Kennadie, We are getting past it. You have too. I have forgiven you.” Jon began. “We are a family now. Let’s enjoy this time together.”
“I know. I am so thankful for that. I just have this guilt feeling.” I said.
“You were being a young mom, you though that was best. You were protecting our child.” He said. “I love you.”
“I love you too.” I told him.

I was woken up by the familiar jumping of a two year old. Jon was now getting a taste of what I dealt with.
“What are you doing kiddo?” Jon asked grabbing Lucas and cuddling him in. His little laugh was the cutest.
“Wake up time.” Lucas called out in he middle of laughing.

It was hard to believe it was the start of my final year of university, a little less than a year and I would have my nursing degree.
“You’ll do great today.” Jon said walking in as I was getting ready.
“Thanks. Hard to believe the final year is here.” I told him. I got breakfast ready and then hugged and kissed Lucas and Jonathan goodbye as I headed off to the campus.

I found my classes pretty good, it was a pretty easy class list because I would be doing more hands on training at the hospitals. I liked that part more. The day went over very well, but I was more than ready to go pick up my baby boy and spend the evening with him.

I drove to the day care and headed inside, I seen Lucas playing and I was just so glad he was making friends. I got his jacket and was ready to call him over when I had a little tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see a women close to my age. She smiled.

“You’re Kennadie right?” She asked
“That’s me.” I replied.
“I’m Carli, Colin Fraser’s wife.” Carli said. “He told me you were new and I though I would say Hi, at least you can know one other girl.”
“Thank you, that’s very nice.” I began “It will be nice once the season starts and we go to more games.”
“If you ever need anything, feel free to ask.” She said before walking off.

I got Lucas ready and we headed home. Jonathan was waiting for us.
“How was the big day.” He asked as soon as we walked into the door.
“Good. It will be nice when it’s all over and I have a degree.” I said. “I met Carli Fraser today.”
“Colin’s wife?” Jon asked.
“She was very nice. It will be nice to start making friends with the other girlfriends and wives.” I began “Getting Lucas around their children too.”
“I can’t wait to show him and you off at team family events.” He said.
“What are you going to do when this hits the media?” I asked.
“They don’t need to know every details.” Jon said.
“People will talk, for all we know they could all ready be doing that. Seeing you with a toddler will spark talk.” I said.
“That’s their problem not mine. I love you and my son, you’re my family.” Jon said.
“I love you.” I said kissing his cheek.

Things were settling in so normal for our family. I was adjusting well to school, Lucas was loving daycare and Jonathan was getting ready to start the season. The team loved Lucas, he was making friends with some of their children. It was nice to have a few other girls around, who understood the lifestyle.

I was getting ready for my shift at the hospital. First heading to the school to drop off a paper then dropping off Lucas and then the hospital. I love these busy days with Lucas, Jonathan was out of town for a preseason game.

Lucas wanted to see where Mommy went, so he took my hand and we headed inside the school. A few of my classmates were around and just though he was adorable. He had that charm about him.

We were walking back to the car, I was buckling Lucas into his seat when I heard two voices.
“Thats the one who didn’t tell Toews about his kid, who does that.”
“She just told him now for the fame and money.”
I didn’t waste my effort on them, figuring it was someone who wanted Jonathan but now they wouldn’t have a shot.

I dropped Lucas off and then headed to the hospital. The day went as normal as possible. Jonathan picked Lucas up when he got back into town, so they were home when I was done of work. Lucas was all ready in bed and Jon was sitting in the living room. Right away, he knew I was a little upset and I can’t lie to him, he always can tell.

“So you gonna tell me what’s wrong.” Jon asked.
“Two girls said something when I was at school and I heard them.” I said.
“And what did they say.” He asked.
“I only told you about Lucas so I could have the fame and money.” I said.
“We know that is not true. Don’t let it get to you.” He said.
“I know, but so many people think it.” I said to him. He wiped the tears falling from my eyes.
“Go change and we can watch a movie on the couch.” He said.
“I love you.” I said kissing his cheek.