It's Complicated

Chapter 3

When Annie woke the next morning, Wayne was still on the floor sleeping snoring loudly. It was Saturday, she was supposed to go to the mall with her friends but with the way she felt right now she didn’t want to go anywhere. She got out of bed and looked at herself in the mirror. Wayne went to her house the night before to get some of the essentials for her. She wasn’t sure what he told her dad or if he even saw him, but it worked. She sighed at the clothes he chose for her, her red pajama top with the black pants that barely covered her ass. *Typical boy* She thought to herself. Wayne woke in a panic. “What’s with you?” Annie asked trying not to laugh. “Bad dream.” He said rubbing his eyes. “What was it about?” She said sitting down on the floor in front of him. “It aint important.” He said shaking his head. “Tell me.” She said persisting. “You.” He said simply. “Your nightmare was about me?” She said in a hurt tone. “It aint like that. I dreamt that your dad came by and it wasn’t pretty.” He said softly. Annie’s mouth twitched. “Don’t worry; as long as you’re with me nothing and no one gon hurt you.” He said smiling. Annie nodded.
 
After breakfast, Wayne took Annie to her house to get the rest of her things. “He’s not home.” Wayne said opening the car door for Annie. “Let’s hope he doesn’t come back soon.” She said stepping out of the car. She took a deep breath and opened the front door and ran upstairs with Wayne following close behind. “Wow.” He said looking around. “What?” Annie said looking at him from across the room. “Your room is huge.” He said. “I guess.” She said shrugging. She opened her closet. “You got a walk in closet too?” Wayne said faking jealousy. “Yeah my dad got it for me when he pushed me down the stairs and broke my leg last year.” She said as if nothing was wrong. “You know, you don’t have to pretend around me.” He said sitting down on one of the chairs in her closet. “I know.” She said without turning to him. Annie didn’t even realize he was in her closet with her until she changed her pants. “Damn shawty you got a nice ass.” He said biting his bottom lip. “Wayne!” She shouted. “What? Cant a nigga tell a girl that she’s fine?” He said shrugging. “Whatever.” She said and put her shirt on.
 
Annie was almost done packing when she realized that she hadn’t packed her flat iron. “Wayne could you get my flat iron out of my closet please?” She said pointing at another closet. “Sure.” He said and took it down from the top shelf. Their hands touched when Wayne leaned forward to put her flat iron in her bag. Annie paused and looked up into Wayne’s beautiful brown eyes. He leaned in to kiss her. She hesitated for a second then kissed him back. Her whole world shifted. She felt electricity surge throughout her whole body. The front door opened then shut closed again. Annie pulled back and started hyperventilating. “Annie calm down.” Wayne said putting his hands on her shoulders. She shook her head. “His gonna hurt me.” She said and started crying. “No he won’t.” He said looking at her seriously. Annie looked at Wayne for a second then went downstairs. I took a deep breath before going into the kitchen. “Hi daddy.” She said smiling at her dad. “Who’s this?” He said pointing at Wayne. “A friend from school.” She said smiling. “And what’s he doing in my house?” Her father said raising his voice. “He came with me to get my things. I’m going to stay with him and his mom for a while.” She said simply. “Like hell you are!” He shouted and slapped her across the face. “Leave her alone!” Wayne shouted steeping in front of Annie. “What you gonna do? Stop me?” Her father said. “Maybe.” Wayne said standing his ground. Her father scoffed and threw a punch at Wayne. Wayne ducked missing the punch. He smirked and punched her father lights out.