It's Complicated

Chapter 9

Annie and Wayne were in LA for three days before they found her mother. She didn’t want to talk to her mother right away; she needed to talk to her sister first. It took another two days, before they found her sister, Ashley. Annie and Wayne walked the halls of Ashley’s college looking for her. “Hey you’re Lil Wayne!” A girl probably a freshman shouted. Wayne smiled and waved. “Can I please have a picture with you?” She asked. “Sure but on one condition, you tell me where I can find Ashley Johnson.” Wayne said looking at her. She nodded, took the picture and told them where to find Annie. Annie paused when she was right behind her sister. She tapped her sister’s shoulder nervously. “Get lost loser!” Ashley shouted not even turning around. “Real nice way to treat your sister, Ashley-Marie.” Annie said crossing her arms. Ashley spun around. Her face lit up when she saw her twin standing in front of her. “Annie!” She shrieked and threw her arms around her twin. “What are you doing here?” She said pulling back. “I need answers.” Annie said getting right to the point. “Sure, but what are the questions?” Ashley said raising an eyebrow. “Why did mom leave dad?” She asked pulling her sister away from the crowd. “I really don’t know An.” She said shaking her head. “Ash I need to know.” Annie said pleading. “An I wish I knew. I also wanna know but I don’t. Whenever I ask mom about dad she ignores me and tells me that I have no father, and whenever I ask about you she tells me that it was your choice to stay behind and that nothing she told you could change your mind.” Ashley said fighting back the tears. “Ash that’s not true. I wish mom had taken me with you. Look at what he’s done to me.” Annie said removing the concealer from her face. “Holy Fuck Annie what happened to you?” Ashley said with a look of horror on her face. “Dad happened.” Annie said softly. “Annie, I’m so sorry.” Ashley said throwing her arms around her sister. Even though they were twins, Ashley was born the eldest which meant she was also the stronger twin.
 
After talking to Ashley, they headed to where Annie’s mom was showing a house in Malibu. “Want me to come with you?” Wayne said turning the car off. Annie shook her head. “I’ll be fine.” She said and got out. She walked through the doors of the most beautiful house she’s ever seen, after Wayne’s Miami mansion that is. “May I help you?” A beautiful woman said. “Yeah. I’m looking for Robynne Johnson.” Annie said stepping closer. “That’s me.” She said smiling. Annie was shocked. She couldn’t believe that this beautiful woman standing in front of her was her mother. The mother she knew, had long black hair that hung on her shoulders, with pale skin and boney features. This woman on the other hand, was the complete opposite; she had short brown hair, healthy looking skin and was on her ideal weight. “It’s me Annie. Do you remember me?” Annie said nervously. “Annie.” Robynne said stepping closer with a huge smile on her face. Annie smiled back. Robynne threw her arms around her daughter and pulled her tight against her the way she did when she was a little girl. “What are you doing here in LA?” Robynne said sitting down and motioning for Annie to do the same. “I need answers.” Annie said sitting down. “To what?” Robynne said with a confused look on her face. “Why did you leave us?” Annie said softly. “I had to. He used to hit me.” Robynne said looking away. Annie was stunned all this time she thought it was her fault that her mother left. “Why did you leave me?” Annie said starting to cry. “I had to. He wouldn’t let me take you. He swore that if I took you, he’d come after us and kill you and your sister.” Robynne said starting to cry as well. “But instead of taking the risk you just left me. You left me to take your place as the one he hit! You’re a sorry excuse of a mother!” Annie shouted and ran out.
 
Wayne was leaning against the car smoking a blunt when Annie came running out. “What happened?” He said putting the blunt out. “I don’t wanna talk about it.” Annie said getting in the car. Wayne shrugged and got in and drove away. “Annie, please talk to me.” Wayne said looking at her. “She said she left me because he threatened her.” Annie said staring out the window. “How?” Wayne said. “Told her that if she took me that he’d go after us and kill both me and my sister.” Annie said with hate in her voice. “You don’t believe her?” Wayne asked glancing at her. “No.” Annie said shaking her head. “Annie, look at me.” Wayne said. Annie spun her head in his direction. “She must have had a reason for leaving you.” Wayne said softly. “No Wayne! She didn’t. She took her precious little angel Ashley with her and left me to take her place as my father’s punching bag and trick.” Annie shouted. Wayne sighed and carried on driving. Neither of them said a word the entire ride to the airport or flight back to Miami.