Status: completed.

Cliché

morning regrets.

At nine thirty in the morning, the door opened and closed. She held the cup of coffee in her hands, waiting for him to walk into the kitchen. She closed her eyes as she heard his footsteps. Her parents were in the kitchen with her, talking about how they were going to spend their day. Their talking was cut short by him walking into the kitchen.

She opened her eyes and looked at him, blankly. He looked ashamed of himself. He nibbled on his bottom lip, trying to think of what to say. Should he apologize, should he wait for her to apologize? "Where were you?" She asked, her voice shaky. "I was worried, everyone was worried."

He ran a hand through his hair as he walked over to her. He looked at the ground. "I-I'm sorry, Hope, it's just what you said... I needed to calm down," he said, avoiding her real question, "I was going to come back sooner; but I - oh, God, what have I done?"

She looked up at him, blinking. "What did you do, Joshua? You didn't cheat on me did you?" She managed to ask him, her hands shaking. He placed his hands over hers.

"No, I didn't do that. I-I, well, I took a mouthful of alcohol," he mumbled. The cup of coffee would have fell to the ground if he wasn't holding it also. Her parents realized the seriousness of this and rushed out of the kitchen; leaving them alone. "It was a spur of the moment thing, you know?"

She shook her head, placing her now free hands to her face. "You idiot! That's all you had, a mouthful? One, no more?" She questioned, he nodded. "Do you not understand that you could get hooked again because of that? I do not care if you were embarrassed last night, you do not resort to drinking; or have you forgotten what happened the last time you drunk alcohol?"

He looked at her, and saw tears brim her eyes as she removed her hands from her face. "I haven't forgotten, Hope, I know what happened. I'm so, so sorry," he told her, pleading for her forgiveness with his eyes.

"I wish I didn't have to do this," she mumbled, one tear running down her pale face.

"Do what?"

She cleared her throat, "we need to take a break, Joshua. I'll stay with my parents, you go back to the apartment. It'll only be for a few weeks, we both need to spend some time apart. Okay? Just-just promise me that you won't touch anymore alcohol." She took the cup of coffee out of his hands and placed it behind her on the counter. He tried to protest, but nothing escaped his mouth. She pushed him out of the kitchen and towards the front door.

The door opened, he stood in front of her. "No, Hope, please, we can work this out!" He begged, stepping forwards. She kept the door open enough for him to see her face, the tears falling more fluently now.

She shook her head. "Just give me some time, Joshua," she told him. He closed his eyes, wishing that it was different. "I love you."

The door closed as he opened his eyes.